PDA

View Full Version : hiking the long trail / AT summer of 2012

jaymiddour
09-21-2011, 21:35
Hello, I am interested to hike the long trail in VT for the approx 100 miles that it coincides with the AT. I'd like to do this next summer (2012) I am seeking advice on where to stop and start and what services are available for shuttles to trail entry and exit. I've ordered the guide books but currently am not sure where the AT/LongTrail intersection stops and starts. Any advice from fellow hikers is most welcome and appreciated! Jay Middour

nehiker
09-22-2011, 09:59
Hello, I am interested to hike the long trail in VT for the approx 100 miles that it coincides with the AT. I'd like to do this next summer (2012) I am seeking advice on where to stop and start and what services are available for shuttles to trail entry and exit. I've ordered the guide books but currently am not sure where the AT/LongTrail intersection stops and starts. Any advice from fellow hikers is most welcome and appreciated! Jay Middour

MA 2 in North Adams/Williamstown, MA and US 4 at Sherbourne Pass, 1 mile W of the Inn @ LT (Maine junction, where the AT and LT split, is 1 mi N of here) . Both are accessible by public transportation (there is an hourly bus from the Inn @LT to Rutland). If you stay at Williamstown Motel, the guy will pick you up from the Peter Pan bus stop in Williamstown and take you to the trailhead the next morning, or perhaps let you leave your car there.

Blissful
09-22-2011, 10:56
Check out the Long Trail Forum also.

stranger
09-25-2011, 04:17
As others have said public transportation to both North Adams/Williamstown and Rutland, for resupply Manchester Center is about halfway and has a good supermarket and relatively cheap (for new england that is) places to stay.

There is also a small store just after Clarendon Gorge about a mile off the trail, pig out on some ice cream to celebrate you last days of your hike! I might see you out there, we are going thru sobo startin in Aug.

Check out longtrailhiking.info as well

Jeff
09-25-2011, 07:08
Also, Manchester Center is at about the halfway point of your hike. Although it is 5 miles from town, most hikers consider it to be an easy hitch in and out.

oldnevada
09-26-2011, 23:48
Hello to this LT thread. I'm planning to start my End to End NOBO solo in a week to catch the colors and fresh fall air. Thanks for mentioning about Williamstown hotel and other info! O.N.

Chaco Taco
09-26-2011, 23:55
thinking about it myself. Just need to finish up past the AT junction to the end.

oldnevada
09-27-2011, 02:28
I've done Journey's End to Hazen's Notch..... but wouldn't bother me to do it again.

Norseamerican
10-03-2011, 10:24
Get the End to End guide and map from the Green Mountain Club, no need for the LT Guide. Call them, they are very helpful. Bus line from NYC is Peter-Pan. Takes you right to Williams Town Inn which is less than a mike to Pine Cobble Tr. You must stay at the Inn at the Long Trail(mi. 104) and grab a Guinness. Most wonderful place. Thru-hiker friendly, great food. Easy hitch hiking in VT, cheep buses/shuttles to towns. Be prepared for mud if going prior to mid July.

oldnevada
10-05-2011, 06:36
Thanks Norseamerican. I've been learning more and more about Williamstown Inn. My start is going to be this fall, like real soon. Want to catch the colours as I progress north. I have a friend in Rutland.
Getting a lift to Albany for 11:00. Hope to be at Pine Cobble Tr. by noon. Rough and Tumble give Inn at the Long Tail nothing but thumbs up.