PDA

View Full Version : CDC & EPA find PBA safe.

V Eight
09-22-2011, 07:53
Looks like our body's can deal with BPA better than first thought.

http://www.packagingdigest.com/article/519343-CDC_EPA_study_finds_BPA_exposure_unlikely_to_cause _health_effects.php

Fiddleback
09-22-2011, 09:23
Fortunately for the 20 volunteers in this study, their body "efficiently" processed the BPA and excreted it. This still leaves a lot of questions about what happens and what affects result from the BPA released into the environment. Nor does the study address the processing of BPA in those that are less healthy or less mature (infants).

Still, it's easy to see why Packaging Digest is enthusiastic about the study's results...or, at least the way they interpreted it.

FB

Ender
09-22-2011, 10:06
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say that a single, small-scale study does not refute the dozens of other studies out there saying the exact opposite.

The fact that it's only 20 volunteers is way too small a sample size for the results to be taken seriously. Also, this was a short-term study that lasted all of 3 meals. This study does not address the possible long-term effects of consuming BPA.

That all said, the results they got are legitimate, even if their conclusions are wildly premature.

Blue Jay
09-22-2011, 16:22
With the exception of Congress, I cannot think of two organizations that I would trust less.

burger
09-22-2011, 22:19
With the exception of Congress, I cannot think of two organizations that I would trust less.The OP's title is extremely misleading and should be changed. CDC and EPA merely funded the study. They did not find BPA safe in any way or form.

That said, I'd still trust EPA and CDC over industry who would rather poison people than spend a few dollars to find a non-toxic alternative to BPA.

Wise Old Owl
09-23-2011, 00:44
I am with Ender on this without the excitement of reading the article

a Study is done to prove or disprove that there is a credit or credibility to prop up a thought process - it is anything but scientific.

Examples of studys
Soda is both good and bad for you (nevermind your teeth)
Tea is full of antioxidents and causes esophageal cancer.
Scientist licks frogs to discover where the poisons are..... etc.
A study for humans developed an instinctual ability to pick snakes and spiders out of the scene a lot faster than they can with harmless objects. ( HEY that's a lie) I have seen some of you on the trail trip over snakes....