PDA

View Full Version : Bounce Boxes

Hiking for vets
09-22-2011, 14:39
Are Bounce Boxes worth the time and effort and money and exactly how does the process work?

Chaco Taco
09-22-2011, 14:49
Are Bounce Boxes worth the time and effort and money and exactly how does the process work?
Mine was by accident. Just had too much food in my maildrop and didnt need it. After time, I would just add stuff, take some out. I basically got stuff from home and from friends that I would just bump ahead about 400-500 miles ahead. Worth it instead of sending something home that you think you may want later. I stockpiled dinner in mine cuz I got sick of certain things, then would be able to eat it again.
Things in my bounce
Sunscreen
dinners
gloves
thermals
backup poncho (in case my rain jacket got lost or something)
extra tent stakes (always lost mine)

Spokes
09-22-2011, 14:53
I used and enjoyed having a bounce box on my thru hike. I kept "hard to get" items like travel size toothpaste, meds, vitamins, supplements, extra hydration bite valve and tube, spare AquaMira, etc. in mine. Other stuff like spare batteries, small clothing articles, and extra journals went in there too.

The process is real simple- get a priority mail box, pack it up, and send it to your destination. When you get there decide if you need to open it to get your stuff then re-tape it and pay to send it forward.

If you don't need anything in your box DO NOT TAKE POSSESSION of it and advise the postal clerk that you wish to send it on to the next destination. It's free to send it on.

I only had one instance where a postal clerk argued with me about bouncing my box forward. She claimed I "took possession" of it as soon as she laid it on the counter and made me pay postage to send it forward. From then on I would clearly and politely say to the clerk "I do not wish to take possession of this box and want to send it to another location". Never had any issues after that.

Hope that helps.

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 14:55

Moneywise, not really much. You aren't mailing it just a few days ahead. You can mail it as far ahead as you think works best.

extra tent stakes (always lost mine)

YOU'RE the one. I seem to have a knack for picking up lost stakes..........;)

Serial 07
09-22-2011, 17:01
it depends on why you are doing it...i'm doing bounce boxes with meals and booze...snacks are easy to find...it's easy to do it without worrying about them, but there are a few spots where a box at the P.O. will save you tons of hassle and that can be worth the $12...

Blissful
09-22-2011, 17:26
I used mine for a good part of my '07 hike. It was nice to have some extra clothes in it, shampoo, some resupply etc. And I kept chargers in there. But honestly I found it cumbersome and did not use it for my SOBO hike.

mountain squid
09-22-2011, 17:41
Well, there are 'bounce boxes' and then there are 'mail drops'.

A bounce box is something that a hiker 'bounces' to him/herself somewhere up the trail with items they don't want to carry but that they think might be necessary but not easily obtainable.

A mail drop is something at home that is usually prearranged to be sent to a specific PO/hostel, etc with various needed things inside. Items might be maps, cold weather gear, food or just some home baked goodies (it's nice to have enough goodies to share).

I did some mail drops but did not bounce anything. One thing to consider about either/or is the PO working hours. The last thing you may want to do is hang out in town an extra day because the PO is closed the day you arrive in town . . . and if the next day is a holiday . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Hiking for vets
09-23-2011, 12:00
Thanks so much for the informative comments. I am planning a thru hike in March 2012 and trying to learn as much as I can prior to make my hike as efficient as possible. WB has been a great help in my efforts to do so. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Chaco Taco
09-24-2011, 09:42
Thanks so much for the informative comments. I am planning a thru hike in March 2012 and trying to learn as much as I can prior to make my hike as efficient as possible. WB has been a great help in my efforts to do so. Again, thanks for the feedback.
Good luck. Planning is some of the fun of it. Just realize, you probably will follow about half of it. Thats he beauty of it

handlebar
09-24-2011, 12:50
Bounce bucket worked for me. Just a note: If you mail a bounce box/bucket ahead and determine later that you'll need sooner, you may be able to call the PO and ask that they forward the BB to a closer post office. This has worked for me twice: once from the PO in Cascade Locks and another time from the PO in Helena, MT. I knew I'd be arriving in Helena after the PO closed on Saturday of Labor Day weekend and didn't want to be held up waiting until Tuesday for it to open. After checking that it would be OK to forward it to a motel, I called the PO and they seemed glad to send it on.

Lone Wolf
09-24-2011, 21:07
Are Bounce Boxes worth the time and effort and money and exactly how does the process work?no.........

Grampie
09-25-2011, 10:08
I am speaking as one who thru-hiked. I would not bother with a bounce box and in most cases any mail drops. The first reason is that almost everything that is needed by a thru-hiker is available in trail stops along the way so if you need something just buy it as needed. Second reason is that it can become a pain in the a** to get to the post office to claim your stuff. The only things I would consider would be special medications that you may take.
After being on the trail for a few weeks I soon discovered that it was much more enjoyable if I didn't have to depend on others. Those "others" would include the post office. Thru-hike. Cut your ties to the other world. You will enjoy your hike more.

Spokes
09-25-2011, 11:10
I am speaking as one who thru-hiked. I would not bother with a bounce box and in most cases any mail drops. The first reason is that almost everything that is needed by a thru-hiker is available in trail stops along the way so if you need something just buy it as needed. Second reason is that it can become a pain in the a** to get to the post office to claim your stuff. The only things I would consider would be special medications that you may take....

My bounce box paid for itself on more than one occasion. Most notably when I needed some AquaMira and bite valve replacement and the "outfitter" in Kent, CT had none (heck, they didn't even know what Tyvek was!).

Never had any time management issues hitting a Post Office either. Granted everyone's experience is different. You decide.

-Ghost-
10-03-2011, 22:24
I planned on having one...and actually made one. Never had it shipped anywhere. If you're worried about getting specific "little things" on the trail, like toothpastes, etc. - dont worry. They are plentiful. Fuel canisters are plentiful. If you are looking to do this to save money then it may cut some cost...not sure? If you have decent support at home you can have anything mailed to you easy enough. Real glad I didnt bother with a bounce box, personally.