PDA

View Full Version : Vest or Jacket?

rjhouser
09-22-2011, 16:31
Starting my thru around May 5 at Springer. I haven't purchased a warm layer yet but I have been toying with the idea of a down vest to save weight. Could I get by with this start date and just a vest? I was also looking at the Montbell Thermawrap if I went the jacket route.

Thanks

gollwoods
09-22-2011, 16:39
I doubt a down vest will be necessary really. depending on what else you plan to have. I like a good thermal baselayer after done hiking for the day with a fleece jacket and if necessary the rain jacket. the down vest won't make sense while walking

Spokes
09-22-2011, 16:39
I like a jacket and carried a down Montbell. Only used in camp. Way too hot to hike in.

A light weight fleece is another option. Dries quick too. Use your rain jacket as a wind barrier.

rjhouser
09-22-2011, 16:47
Any good quality, lightweight fleece suggestions?

Serial 07
09-22-2011, 16:55
i got a thermawrap and will be bringing that when i leave in april...you probably could get away with a vest, but a thermawrap is only 8 or 9 ounces...you won't save too much and the extra bit might be worth it...you'll never hike in it but it will be nice on those cool mornings...polartec makes much of the fleece type coats that you'll see...if you were going in that direction, i'd find the cheapest 100 weight polartec fleece i could and be done with it...but weight wise, a fleece vs. the thermawrap will most likely go to the "wrap" so...

Spokes
09-22-2011, 16:57
Check out Campmor or REI. Doesn't have to be expensive. 100 weight is the lightest and 300 weight is the heaviest. 200? You guessed it- middle weight.

Don't forget your local thrift store too. I've scored some killer hiking clothes at mine.

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 16:59
For a May 5 start? Def no down jacket. Maybe a down vest for camp. Remember if you try to wear down while hiking you will get it wet with sweat and make it worthless. Down is not for hiking except in extreme conditions.

Think fleece.

rjhouser
09-22-2011, 18:10
That's the problem I have going with fleece... the thermawrap is still probably going to be lighter. And won't get wet like down.