PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions For Experienced AT Hikers

Marc Godin
09-22-2011, 18:52
Hi,

I would like to start the AT next March. I'm ready the only thing holding me back is the fact that I have two teenage daughters. Just want to know because haven't seen many post about this, are there children on the trail and are their parts easier for them to handle? My plan was to have them join me at certain parts of the trail for a week or shorter. Although it might slow me down, thought about what and experience it would be for them to join me a few times on the trail. Any thoughts?

Thanks

10-K
09-22-2011, 19:28
Well, one thing to consider is their gear. If they're going to be hiking with you for periods of up to a week they'll need a pretty complete set of gear which could get expensive - if that's an issue.

Some sections are definitely better for meetups than others. Shenandoah National Park has several good options, as does the section between Harper's Ferry and the MD/PA border.

What do they want to do?

gumball
09-22-2011, 19:35
Great advice from 10k. Might want to get them out now for a few overnights if they have never had any backpacking experience, to give them a flavor of what it might be like. Girls have some other issues to cope with on the trail that might make the experience uncomfortable for them--or, if they are accumstomed to outdoor activities like this, they may be perfectly fine with managing themselves in the woods. A week is a long time to go without a shower if you are not used to it--not shaving your legs, generally smelly beyond belief. Might help to have some short test runs in first.

Marc Godin
09-22-2011, 20:05
Thanks. They really want to do it, obviously as I get closer to Maine maybe weekend hikes would be better. Monetarily I want to do what is right. How about 3 or 4 day trips? Trying to plan it out.

Marc Godin
09-22-2011, 20:12
We have been taking overnight hikes everyweekend this summer, I don't think smelly bothers them.

fiddlehead
09-22-2011, 20:42
I think it's a great idea.
Any experience they can get beforehand will help.
But I think it will enlighten both you and they quite a bit.
I would try to pick July or August as a good time as the weather will most likely be better.
But, you all will most likely choose Maine as that's where you are from.
Hiking is a bit tougher (and wetter) there.
Good raingear is a great idea.
Enjoy!

moldy
09-22-2011, 20:45
Do it. They would have a blast. Mid-May before the bugs get bad. You will be in Tennessee. The will enjoy the experience better if you have a hostel stop in it somewhere, perhaps Kincora or Greasy Gap Friendly. If you can keep the exact date open so you can pick your weather it will be all the better.

Wombat Farm
09-22-2011, 21:00
it's a great idea to take your kids here and there! Strangely enough, the scenic areas of the whites and green mts will thrill teenagers (in my experience) that are not easily impressed. Enjoy!

Kerosene
09-23-2011, 00:53
You've got to take advantage of their interest in joining you, at least once! Try to pick some of the nicer sections for 3-4 days. In the south, perhaps Hiawassee to Franklin; Davenport Gap to Hot Springs; Carvers Gap to Damascus; Damascus to Atkins (great section with wild ponies that teenage girls still love!); Catawba to US-60; Front Royal to Harpers Ferry.

After 100 miles in 2 section hikes, my now 21-year old daughter "curses" me because she can't stop thinking about going out again!

LIhikers
09-23-2011, 18:32
I too would recommend the section from Harper's Ferry to Pen Mar Park on the MD/PA border.
About 40 miles, easy walk, although it could be hot and humid depending on when you get there and the weather.
That section has a lot of history to see along the way.