PDA

View Full Version : Sending a mail drop from the trail in GA/NC

burger
09-22-2011, 22:24
I'm hiking from Springer to Hot Springs next month. I'm going to send a mail drop with food to Fontana Dam, but I want to send it from a town on the trail instead of from home. What would be a good trail town from which to send a food drop? I'm thinking Hiawassee or Franklin, but I don't know how good the resupply options will be there.

10-K
09-23-2011, 09:28
I'm hiking from Springer to Hot Springs next month. I'm going to send a mail drop with food to Fontana Dam, but I want to send it from a town on the trail instead of from home. What would be a good trail town from which to send a food drop? I'm thinking Hiawassee or Franklin, but I don't know how good the resupply options will be there.

Either would be fine. Franklin is closer to Fontana Dam and depending on your hiking speed I guess it's possible that you could beat your maildrop to Fontana Dam and have to wait on it to get there.

For that reason, I'd probably send it from Hiawassee.

Hooch
09-23-2011, 09:30
Either would be fine. Franklin is closer to Fontana Dam and depending on your hiking speed I guess it's possible that you could beat your maildrop to Fontana Dam and have to wait on it to get there.

For that reason, I'd probably send it from Hiawassee.Agree! Resupply in Hiawassee is not a problem at all.

generoll
09-23-2011, 19:18
you might also consider making arrangements with Mountain Crossings. Not sure what or why you're doing this, but you go right through Mtn Crossings and Franklin or Hiawassee are miles off the trail.

burger
09-23-2011, 19:23
Hiawassee it is--thanks, folks! (generoll, I'm going into Hiawassee to resupply anyway, so the distance isn't an issue)

Lone Wolf
09-23-2011, 20:09
Hiawassee it is--thanks, folks! (generoll, I'm going into Hiawassee to resupply anyway, so the distance isn't an issue)plus mtn. crossings has limited supply, nothing fresh and what they have is marked up high. the Ingles in hiawassee is awesome