PDA

View Full Version : getting on AT in the Whites...HELP

josephbonney
09-22-2011, 22:32
Hi I plan on getting on the AT very soon and plan to begin my journey in the white mountains. I'm coming from the north and am having a friend drop me off in New Hampshire. Can anyone give me a good spot to get on the trail somewhere in the white mountains? (town name or directions would be great) Also, is anyone familiar with the amount of time required to hike the white mountains, and the amount of food one should be prepared to bring? Are there ample opportunities to resupply while in the whites? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Just a Hiker
09-22-2011, 22:43
There are alot of resources right here that will answer many of your questions regarding resupply and such. Where you get dropped off by your friend will depend on whether you want to hike southbound or northbound. For convenience sake, I would suggest going southbound if you are coming from Maine.....your friend can drop you off on the trail near Gorham, NH on route 2, and then maybe your friend can pick you up in glencliff, NH when you are finished. Just a suggestion.....have a great hike!

Blissful
09-22-2011, 22:46
The Whites are very difficult terrain to begin a hike, but also very beautiful. It really depends on your physical condition, how much you are able to hike and how fast you can go. If I were you I'd simply get on where the trail crosses near Gorham and head southbound. Resupply options are at Pinkham Notch via the AMC center (very limited, might want to have a mail drop), Crawford Notch at the campstore down the road and Franconia Notch at North Woodstock. You can also buy lunch type foods at the huts like soup, leftover bread, pancakes, etc

Hikerhead
09-22-2011, 22:56
You might want to check this out. Two of the huts have already shut down.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whitemountains/huts/hut-season-dates.cfm

Chaco Taco
09-22-2011, 23:04
Hi I plan on getting on the AT very soon and plan to begin my journey in the white mountains. I'm coming from the north and am having a friend drop me off in New Hampshire. Can anyone give me a good spot to get on the trail somewhere in the white mountains? (town name or directions would be great) Also, is anyone familiar with the amount of time required to hike the white mountains, and the amount of food one should be prepared to bring? Are there ample opportunities to resupply while in the whites? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

How long you going to be out? As Blissful pointed out, the terrain is pretty rugged and there has already been snow above 2500 feet.

How far are you going to go?

josephbonney
09-22-2011, 23:10
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'll definitely be heading southbound, and I don't plan on stopping once I'm through the whites. I'll be travelling solo and am in good shape. If I get on the trail at Gorham, how many days hike is it to the next good spot to resupply (i noticed one of you said Pinkham notch has pretty slim pickings.) I'd rather pack more food and wait to get off in a town where I can find decent food and hopefully fuel. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

josephbonney
09-22-2011, 23:18
I don't have a set time to be on the trail, I just want to get started ASAP (hoping to beat the weather) and head south. I just want to hike as far south as I can. See how far I can make it. I hadn't heard there'd been snow yet. I'd hate to bypass the Whites but maybe I'll have to get dropped off further south if the weather won't cooperate. Any thoughts?

Chaco Taco
09-22-2011, 23:36
I don't have a set time to be on the trail, I just want to get started ASAP (hoping to beat the weather) and head south. I just want to hike as far south as I can. See how far I can make it. I hadn't heard there'd been snow yet. I'd hate to bypass the Whites but maybe I'll have to get dropped off further south if the weather won't cooperate. Any thoughts?

It warm here now and the extended forecast is for it to continue to stay warm. You can get to Lincoln/ North Woodstock pretty easily. Id try and get a guidebook to answer your resupply question. Just so you know, most SOBO's start in Maine in June or July, just something to think about.
Mt Washington 9-17-201113949

Chaco Taco
09-22-2011, 23:36
Good Luck with planning. Also meant to tell you that you will want to check in with Hut Closures especially in the Presidentials. The campsites will still be open but alot of the Huts are preping to close very soon if they havent already.

Blissful
09-22-2011, 23:46
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'll definitely be heading southbound, and I don't plan on stopping once I'm through the whites. I'll be travelling solo and am in good shape. If I get on the trail at Gorham, how many days hike is it to the next good spot to resupply (i noticed one of you said Pinkham notch has pretty slim pickings.) I'd rather pack more food and wait to get off in a town where I can find decent food and hopefully fuel. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

Well the absolute best spot is all the way to Franconia Notch with grocery stores in North Woodstock and Lincoln. Not sure I'd want to lug that much food there. Esp up Mt Madison, ugh. Id still plan to do a little resupply at Pinkam Notch - I mean you're right there. You can call and ask what they have or just mail a small box (just have ID). No big deal.

For me from Gorham to Franconia took around six days. I think I had a low mile day though when a trial angel took me in.

Blissful
09-22-2011, 23:47
It warm here now and the extended forecast is for it to continue to stay warm. You can get to Lincoln/ North Woodstock pretty easily. Id try and get a guidebook to answer your resupply question. Just so you know, most SOBO's start in Maine in June or July, just something to think about.
Mt Washington 9-17-201113949

Wow nice picture. Love that place but it is tough stuff.

josephbonney
09-23-2011, 07:16
Ok, so it looks like I'll pick the trail up in Gorham. With luck the weather will cooperate. I have one more question for you guys. Do any of you live around the Gorham area where I'll be getting on. I've tried in vain to find a good guidebook around where I am (Rockland, Maine) and it's the last piece of gear that I think I actually need. If I can I'd like to pick one up before I get on the trail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hikerboy57
09-23-2011, 07:28
You can probably pick one up in gorham, there is an outfitter in town. you can definitely pick one up at Pinkham notch.Or you can join aldha and download a companion:http://www.aldha.org/.

peakbagger
09-23-2011, 08:09
The AMC Pinkham Notch facility on RT 16 is the best place to get guides and maps. The AT does not leave Gorham, its goes around it. Most folks will head south from Rt 2 in Shelburne at the AT trailhead. Alternatively, you can catch the carter Moriah trail at the end of Bangor Street in Gorham (First left as you drive into Gorham from Shelburne).

As for resupply, you will have to hitch a few miles (which burns up time) to get to a real store for all of the whites. Pinkham may have some basic items mostly tourist food but really its only suitable to stretch a hikers supply for possibly a day or so. The first major store south of Gorham right on (or close nearby) the trail is the Hanover Co-op. Many folks carry enough food to get to Franconia notch and then hitch into Lincoln to the Price Chopper for resupply.

Given the potential weather changes this time of the year, make sure you know your bail out points. Generally for much of the hike through the whites southbound, if in doubt hike down to civilization by taking a right, for much of the route, taking a left drops you into more remote backcountry which can take longer to get out.

grgs
09-23-2011, 08:13
It is not that far of a drive from gorham to pinkham notch. I would drive over and do a food drop at the visitors center.

Chaco Taco
09-23-2011, 09:05
Ok, so it looks like I'll pick the trail up in Gorham. With luck the weather will cooperate. I have one more question for you guys. Do any of you live around the Gorham area where I'll be getting on. I've tried in vain to find a good guidebook around where I am (Rockland, Maine) and it's the last piece of gear that I think I actually need. If I can I'd like to pick one up before I get on the trail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a couple of older versions if you want me to mail you one. If not, try and get to Portland and the EMS there. Its not far from you.

Chaco Taco
09-23-2011, 09:06
Wow nice picture. Love that place but it is tough stuff.
Yep it was cold. Took it from the top Guyot

Chaco Taco
09-23-2011, 09:12
also on the other side of Mt Washington there is the Lake of the clouds hut. it is actually closed now, but around back there is a dungeon that you can sleep in. It stays unlocked, AS FAR AS I KNOW, in the winter because so many peopel try to climb Washington in winter.

peakbagger
09-23-2011, 11:26
The dungeon at Lakes is for emergency use only and is normally postedthat way. There is some enforcement of the rule on occasion. It normally reaks of urine and is definitely not a pleasant place to spend a night.

mudhead
09-23-2011, 14:25

Maine Sport doesn't have one? Epic Sports in BGR. EMS Portland. LLBean. Amazon. blah blah.

Slo-go'en
09-23-2011, 15:58
There is not much call for Thru-hiker guide books on this end of the trail. The only maps, etc, I've seen sold in Gorham, the notch or even North Conway are strickly for local stuff.

Joseph, you really should have ordered a guide book on line well before leaving for this trip. Not having one will make life very difficult.

wakapak
09-23-2011, 16:08
The dungeon at Lakes is for emergency use only and is normally postedthat way. There is some enforcement of the rule on occasion. It normally reaks of urine and is definitely not a pleasant place to spend a night.

true, not the most pleasant place to stay, but if one realizes they can't do the entire traverse of the pressies in one day, especially with daylight hours getting shorter, it's a better option then potentially hiking in the dark, with potential bad weather.

Chaco Taco
09-23-2011, 16:46
The dungeon at Lakes is for emergency use only and is normally postedthat way. There is some enforcement of the rule on occasion. It normally reaks of urine and is definitely not a pleasant place to spend a night.but if he gets into a spot that he would need to crash, its an option. Just one of those things that is good to know if an emergency were to present itself

josephbonney
09-23-2011, 20:54
I'm heading through portland on my way down so I'll see if EMS carries a map and hopefully a guide book. As far as resupply goes, can anyone give me an idea of how far of a hike it is down out of the mountains for resupply points. And if there's anyone here who as hiked southbound in the whites....can you give me an idea of your itinerary? How much food you started with....where you made your first resupply....and so on. I'm just trying to get a basic idea of the schedule I'll be facing, and trying to decide what the most food I'll need for a stretch may be. Any ideas on how you worked your food, how many miles you covered per day, and how many days I can expect to be on trail without the possibility of resupply would be helpful. thanks.

Just a Hiker
09-23-2011, 22:07
I'm not telling you how to hike your hike, but the following is what I do when I hike the Whites southbound. Keep in mind that I usually do this in July or August when everything is in full swing in the Whites.....also, I am old compared to you, so this might seem slow.

Day 1- Rt. 2 (Gorham, NH) to Carter Notch Hut- This is now a full service Hut and is usually one of the last to close for the year and should be open for you.

Day 2- Carter Notch Hut to Pinkham Notch- I stay here because I can't pass up the Lodge and food, and because my knees are usually hurting from coming down Wildcat. I usually split the lodging with another hiker to save some money.

Day 3- Pinkham Notch to "The Perch"- The Perch is a RMC Lean-to that is below tree line; however, it sets me up so that I don't have to stay at Lakes of the Clouds Hut. It's a fee lean-to but is only $5. There are also tent platforms there.

Day 4- "The Perch" to Crawford Notch- I get up really early and get to the top of Mt. Washington, take the obligitory photo, have a chili dog then hump it on into Crawford Notch. I usually stay at the hostel or the Highland Center where the food is good and you can get a ride to town pretty easy for resupply.

Day 5- Crawford Notch to Galehead Hut- I usually try and get work for stay here, not sure if it will be open when you get there.

Day 6- Galehead Hut to Liberty Springs Tent site- This is a fantastic stretch of trail!

Day 7- Liberty Springs to Franconia Notch- It's all down hill and I hitch into North Woodstock where I usually stay at the Carriage Motel, eat good and buy snacks for the trail.

Day 8- Franconia Notch to Kinsman Notch- I have to admit that I slack this section most times, and I hitch back to North Woodstock for another night at the Carriage Motel.

Day 9- Kinsman Notch to Glencliff, NH- Moosilauke can be a tough climb when the weather is bad, but when I get to the road in Glencliff, I sometimes stay at the hostel, or I hitch back to N. Woodstock get what I need to get me to Hanover, NH.

I realize that my way isnt cheap, and will more than likely invite ridicule here on Whiteblaze, but it might help give you an idea of how to do it. Have a great hike!

Chaco Taco
09-23-2011, 22:13
I'm heading through portland on my way down so I'll see if EMS carries a map and hopefully a guide book. As far as resupply goes, can anyone give me an idea of how far of a hike it is down out of the mountains for resupply points. And if there's anyone here who as hiked southbound in the whites....can you give me an idea of your itinerary? How much food you started with....where you made your first resupply....and so on. I'm just trying to get a basic idea of the schedule I'll be facing, and trying to decide what the most food I'll need for a stretch may be. Any ideas on how you worked your food, how many miles you covered per day, and how many days I can expect to be on trail without the possibility of resupply would be helpful. thanks.

Just to give you a heads up, maybe wait to leave late next week. There is a LOT of rain heading this way til about Thurs. Next weekend looks great. Id carry a pretty good amount of food. If you do hike in the weather, you wontr have a very good chance at trying to hitch into N Woodstock, not a long hitch, because not many people will be out.

josephbonney
09-24-2011, 06:57
Jim is it? Thanks very much. This is extremely helpful to me, and I appreciate you taking the time to lay it out for me!

josephbonney
09-24-2011, 07:01
If I should decide to tough it out and go in the weather, what would you consider "a pretty good amount of food"? to be?

Chaco Taco
09-24-2011, 09:47
If I should decide to tough it out and go in the weather, what would you consider "a pretty good amount of food"? to be?

Bout 2 pounds a day. Typically try and have 3-4 days worth, betting on 4 days worth depending on your pace. Whites are rugged.

josephbonney
09-24-2011, 15:49
Great, I'll be sure to carry at least 4 days supply. Any tips on meals/kinds of food to bring you've learned over the years anyone?

Chaco Taco
09-25-2011, 14:54
Great, I'll be sure to carry at least 4 days supply. Any tips on meals/kinds of food to bring you've learned over the years anyone?

Pita and peanut butter, bagels pack well if you compress them.

canoehead
09-25-2011, 15:31
Simply put. If you are not ready or prepared to hike the whites in possible full on winter conditions skip it!!!! Head to MA because VT is trashed after the Tropical storm. I'll be up there in NH this Tuesday - Sunday and snow at elevation will be an issue. I'll be taking my Katoolas spikes.

Kermitt
09-25-2011, 15:42
I just done this hike a few weeks ago. Start at;1 Gorham- Imp shealter. 2 Imp- Carter Hut. 3 Carter- Osgoog tentsite. 4 Os- Vallet Way tentsite. 5 VW.-Lakes Dungon. 6 Ld.-Nauman Tentsite. That will get you over the Presidentials. I would have someone take a mail drop to Pinkham Notch & when you come down to Francoia Notch hich a ride into Lincon for surplies. If you can send a mail drop to Glenclif O.P. You can stay at the hostel there. Next place to pick up surplies will be Andover. OK.

Kermitt
09-25-2011, 15:49
I just done this hike a few weeks ago. Start at;1 Gorham- Imp shealter. 2 Imp- Carter Hut. 3 Carter- Osgoog tentsite. 4 Os- Vallet Way tentsite. 5 VW.-Lakes Dungon.  6 Ld.-Nauman Tentsite.  That will get you over the Presidentials.  I would have someone take a mail drop to Pinkham Notch & when you come down to Francoia Notch hich a ride into Lincon for surplies.  If you can send a mail drop to Glenclif O.P.  You can stay at the hostel there.  Next place to pick up surplies will be Andover. OK.

Chaco Taco
09-26-2011, 08:39
Simply put. If you are not ready or prepared to hike the whites in possible full on winter conditions skip it!!!! Head to MA because VT is trashed after the Tropical storm. I'll be up there in NH this Tuesday - Sunday and snow at elevation will be an issue. I'll be taking my Katoolas spikes.
He is going to do what he is going to do so just try to prepare him for it. Once you guys get above 3000 it should get interesting.

Fredt4
09-26-2011, 19:28
I hiked thru the Whites the week before and after Irene. Weather there can be demanding, even during the best of times. I found it slow due to the trail so prepare yourself for low Milagros, unless you're in great shape, but the weather can upset your plans. Possible resupply points:Pinkham Notch (mail drop) (Hitch into Gorham?)Crawford Notch (maildrop)Franconia Notch (maildrop? or hitch/shuttle to Lincoln )NH 112 (same as Franconia)Glencliff (maildrop)NH25A (Hitch into Dartmouth Skiway Dorchester rd; (tough hitch into Lyme, not much there do you feel lucky)Etna-Hanovet Rd.(Etna General Store, Tigger's Hostel? )