PDA

View Full Version : Advice on going through New York with my dog

sean.sanchez
09-22-2011, 23:06
So I figure I can get a family member to bring my dog to meet me in Virginia, as the Great Smoky Mountain National Parks in both North Carolina to Tenessee (I'm doin a south to north thru hike) don't allow dogs. The next two parks were dogs aren't allowed are in New York (Bear Mountain State Park) and Maine (Baxter State Park). I'm trying to get advice from experienced thru hikers, preferably who've hiked with dogs, on what its like goint through Bear Mountain in New York. I'm thinking about illegaly taking him through there so he can hike 10 states with me, as opposed to being cut off at 5 in new york. Are there gates or workers I have to deal with when I go through Bear Mountain Park? Fees for passing through? Anything that would make it difficult to take my dog through there without getting bitched at?

Feral Bill
09-22-2011, 23:58
In New York you can bypass the Bear Mountain Zoo, maybe a couple hundred yards, and you're fine and legal. It's an official alternate if you care. On paper, dogs in Harriman and Bear Mountain State Parks are supposed to be muzzled. I've never heard of that actually being done. You should leash the beast, though. Have a nice walk.

XCskiNYC
09-24-2011, 21:57
No gates. I only saw a ranger at the zoo and some staff at the info desk at Tiorati Circle.

10-K
09-24-2011, 22:08
Bear Mt. (almost within sight of the zoo) is where I got backed up against a tree by a rather ferocious German Shepherd in full growl/snarl mode whose owner came running up behind him with the classic, "He's friendly!!!"

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit my reply included the F word.....

CrumbSnatcher
09-24-2011, 22:10
the zoo takes about 5 minutes to walk thru, have another hiker hold your dogs and take turns. pretty simple

sean.sanchez
09-25-2011, 04:19
Bear Mt. (almost within sight of the zoo) is where I got backed up against a tree by a rather ferocious German Shepherd in full growl/snarl mode whose owner came running up behind him with the classic, "He's friendly!!!"I'm somewhat ashamed to admit my reply included the F word.....Hahahah oh the classic "he's friendly" that rich.xD you mustve really been special to get the attention of that dog xD Crumbsnatcher, I feel like a dumbass for asking but, can you elaborate? I don't really understand what you mean by take turns...I mean, the concepts simple enough..but I'm just not grasping what your getting at...does the AT go through the zoo?

10-K
09-25-2011, 07:53
Hahahah oh the classic "he's friendly" that rich.xD you mustve really been special to get the attention of that dog xD Crumbsnatcher, I feel like a dumbass for asking but, can you elaborate? I don't really understand what you mean by take turns...I mean, the concepts simple enough..but I'm just not grasping what your getting at...does the AT go through the zoo?

The AT does go through the zoo but it's a little zoo an doesn't take long to walk through. I think what CS is saying is if you want to be a purist just ask someone to hold your dog while you hike the official trail and then come back, get your dog and detour around the zoo.

I wonder if dogs have any issues walking across Bear Mt Bridge? That was scarier to me than anything I encountered on the trail, including Katahdin.

CrumbSnatcher
09-25-2011, 08:13
the zoo entrance and the zoo exit is within a stones throw of each other. with a nice park across the street for your dog and a hiking buddy to wait for you to return. walk thru the zoo then head for bear mtn. bridge. don't sweat the zoo, you'll get it as soon as you see it! happy hiking

10-K
09-25-2011, 09:14
Hahahah oh the classic "he's friendly" that rich.xD you mustve really been special to get the attention of that dog xD Crumbsnatcher, I feel like a dumbass for asking but, can you elaborate? I don't really understand what you mean by take turns...I mean, the concepts simple enough..but I'm just not grasping what your getting at...does the AT go through the zoo?

The AT does go through the zoo but it's a little zoo an doesn't take long to walk through. I think what CS is saying is if you want to be a purist just ask someone to hold your dog while you hike the official trail and then come back, get your dog and detour around the zoo.

I wonder if dogs have any issues walking across Bear Mt Bridge? That was scarier to me than anything I encountered on the trail, including Katahdin.

WingedMonkey
09-25-2011, 13:10
the zoo entrance and the zoo exit is within a stones throw of each other. with a nice park across the street for your dog and a hiking buddy to wait for you to return. walk thru the zoo then head for bear mtn. bridge. don't sweat the zoo, you'll get it as soon as you see it! happy hiking

You dang purest..always telling someone how to hike.

:p

CrumbSnatcher
09-25-2011, 15:17
You dang purest..always telling someone how to hike.

:p thats the funniest thing i've been called in awhile :-)
i don't tell people how to hike, but most of you do use the wrong pack!
external til death :-)

WingedMonkey
09-25-2011, 15:22
external til death :-)

Preaching to the choir.

CrumbSnatcher
09-25-2011, 15:30
Amen.............................................. .........................................

Sarcasm the elf
09-25-2011, 19:57
Sean, in practice the dog ban applies only to the zoo on bear mountain and it's such a short distance that it is almost a non-issue, just follow the blue blaze trail that is marked out for when the zoo is closed.

I sectioned the area in the spring and ran into a number of hikers that had just hiked through Bear Mountain State Park with their leased dogs, none of them that we spoke to had had any problems going through.

One could even argue that because you are hiking with a dog and therefore barred from entering the zoo, the blue blaze trail around the zoo would then become the official route. :rolleyes:

CrumbSnatcher
09-25-2011, 20:17
no pets in the zoo. just blaze around it