PDA

View Full Version : Where would Southbounders be around the end of this month?

RWheeler
09-22-2011, 23:26
I really have the urge to go to the stretch of AT that I'm most familiar with (Bear Mountain, Salisbury CT) and do some trail magic (along with a nice seasonal day hike). I was just curious about the odds of bumping into any Southbounders next weekend (late September/early October) in Northern CT? I feel like I may have kinda missed whatever "crowd" one might experience.

If I'm not going to be too late - any suggestions on what to do? I was just thinking about buying a ton of chocolate bars and do my day hike. Anyone that looks/smells like a thru-hiker, ask them to pause for a second, hand them each two or so, and continue on.

Chaco Taco
09-22-2011, 23:30
With Irene you may have missed the pack. Most are probably in Va by now. Just depend really on what they did during the storm and if they got through Vermont. Id say that if you do see any, it may be 1 or 2 but doubtful. We saw a large group in The Whites at the end of July sooo.......

Just a Hiker
09-22-2011, 23:37
That's really nice of you, but yeah, most southbounders are well south of you by now.

Blissful
09-22-2011, 23:39
SOBOs are so spread out that it would be hard to catch a pack of them. A few weeks back the flip floppers were coming through VA. At this time I was in NJ and I started on Katahdin July 1. So NJ to southern PA / MD. They would be long past your neck of the woods.

RWheeler
09-22-2011, 23:40
Yeah, that's what I had figured. Oh well. Thanks!

wcgornto
09-22-2011, 23:41
Anywhere from Pennsylvania through Virginia

stonedflea
09-23-2011, 05:02
i flipped and i'll be in mass tomorrow, but i'm skipping nh & vt this year because of my dog. you'd actually be surprised how "many" sobos there are still north of virginia. you won't run into a pack of us, so to speak, but there's a chance that you might see a handful.. :)

adamkrz
09-23-2011, 05:58
Saw 6 thru"s 2 weeks ago at the Tom Leonard shelter in Southern mass. less than 2 weeks ago but none last weekend.

lemon b
09-23-2011, 08:39
Saw two, a couple of weeks ago just South of the blueberry lady.

longwinded
09-23-2011, 12:00
I know of some who are still in Southern Va at this time. Heading fast into Mass. I bet any SOBO ers would really appreciate some trail magic about now. Gotta be hard...

joshuasdad
09-23-2011, 13:12
Saw 8-10 SOBOs near Duncannon last weekend -- some of them fast hikers, others taking a more leisurely pace. Probably near MD now.

camojack
09-25-2011, 03:55
I encountered several Southbounders in Shenandoah N.P. during Labor Day week; I wouldn't expect too many (if any) to still be as far North as New England by now...

Jack Tarlin
09-25-2011, 17:18
If they're going to Georgia, they have in all likelihood passed thru Connecticut by now, but you still might meet late-comers, southbound section hikers, etc. But by all means do what you plan to do, sounds like fun.

wornoutboots
09-25-2011, 17:46
Team Black Cat & Newt finshed last week, they were really cranking out the miles

rovem
09-27-2011, 14:32
I am a SOBO and in Salisbury right now. I am staying at Maria McCabe's.
I am heading out tomorrow so I'll miss the trail magic but thanks for thinking
about us hikers.

There probably won't be any more SOBOs after me. I think there were a few behind me
but I hiked through all of Vermont and most of the hikers skipped the state or at least
skipped the Green Mountain National Forest.

If you ever want to meet up with hikers in Salisbury you should stop by Maria McCabe's
house during the season.

RWheeler
09-27-2011, 14:48
rovem, congrats on making it this far South! I'm sorry I'll be missing you, but if there's anything you need while still in CT, let me know!

Joker4ink
09-29-2011, 12:28
Last week I ran into a SOBO by Hang Glider View in Salisbury/Falls Village...maybe it was even Rovem.