PDA

View Full Version : best idea for transportation after we are done?

BlakeGrice
09-22-2011, 23:31
Hey guys looking for the best way to get back to my car- first time on AT and just looking for my best option. We are going springer to neels- then on to low gap and maybe even unicoi depending on our time. So, how would you do that? Leave car at springer and have someone pick me up? Leave car at the end of our trail ... which obviously means finding a ride to springer? And assume we go past Neels and on to Low Gap or unicoi- are their areas to either 1) park my car or 2) have someone pick us up? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Wise Old Owl
09-22-2011, 23:43
Hmmm In this economy I think a private limo to pick you up and deliver you to a Lear jet... back to the beginning... :rolleyes:

Seriously this has been a dilemma even for section hikers like myself. Even considered a small 150 cc bike to drop off and get back to the car.

You are just going to have to rely on the trail book and rely on Trail Angels who shuttle for bucks.

Gray Blazer
09-23-2011, 07:39
Believe it or not, some people actually hike one way for a few days and then return back whence they came. I know this is taking money out of shuttler's pockets, but, what can you do?

10-K
09-23-2011, 10:39
Just for clarification: Are you starting at Springer as in FR 42 or are you starting at Amicalola and hiking the approach trail too?

Anyway.... if you're in Anderson, SC it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility to just take 2 cars.

But, I'd probably park at Amicalola and get somebody like the Hiker Hostel to shuttle me north to a starting point and hike back south to my car.

max patch
09-23-2011, 11:02
10k nailed it; if I lived in Anderson, SC I'd take 2 cars.

If for some reason you don't want to do this since you don't know your hiking pace, your next best options would be to (1) do an out and back or (2) leave your car at Neels, hike Springer to Neels, and do the out and back part from Neels.

I live 2 hours from Springer and have never paid for a shuttle; we either take 2 cars or do an out and back.

BlakeGrice
09-23-2011, 15:40
yeah I only live 2 hours from springer I believe. With all that being said above- seems like I could pay someone to drive me back to springer. I don't want to take 2 cars unless I have to- one of ours is an older explorer and I don't really like taking it any distance.

Trailweaver
09-23-2011, 22:30
With the price of gas, driving two cars from Anderson would cost as much as it would the drive to the starting point, park the car, and hike to where a shuttler picks you up and takes you back to your car. Save the wear and tear on your car and the gas money and hire a shuttle.

Alternatively, you could hitch. People do in that area.

trippclark
09-23-2011, 22:45
Hey guys looking for the best way to get back to my car- first time on AT and just looking for my best option. We are going springer to neels- then on to low gap and maybe even unicoi depending on our time. So, how would you do that? Leave car at springer and have someone pick me up? Leave car at the end of our trail ... which obviously means finding a ride to springer? And assume we go past Neels and on to Low Gap or unicoi- are their areas to either 1) park my car or 2) have someone pick us up? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

I agree with others that for this trip the most practical solution is to take two cars. One option that I have used, that has not been mentioned here, that you might consider as and if you continue further up the trail, is to tow the second car. Though I have not done this recently, for several trips that we went on, we drove one vehicle and towed a second vehicle, that we attached to the first with a tow bar. We dropped one at our end point, then drove back to our start. We would then hike from vehicle 1 to vehicle 2, then drive back to vehicle 1, hook them back up, and drive home. It works well if you have a vehicle capable of towing, and a second lighter vehicle that is safe for recreational towing.

trippclark
09-23-2011, 22:50
With the price of gas, driving two cars from Anderson would cost as much as it would the drive to the starting point, park the car, and hike to where a shuttler picks you up and takes you back to your car.

Probably not quite . . . it is about 120 miles from Anderson to Amicalola Falls S.P. Figuring 20 MPG, you should be talking $40 - $45 per vehicle for gas for the round trip. A shuttle is probably double that amount or more.

BlakeGrice
09-24-2011, 21:58
Well now I see my options. thanks guys. Got some new gear today- patagonia capilene base for my wife and I... katadyn water filter... our base layer was really the only clothing I had to get- got everything else squared away already.