PDA

View Full Version : My Turn.... Gear List Critique/ Suggestions?!

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 11:21
It looks much prettier on my computer all formatted, let me know if its too whompy to critique. I've been "in the field" for long periods of time, so I'll put up front that I know I have a couple of hygiene items I don't need, but experience has taught me that I will want them (specifically the conditioner and mascara)

Bag:
Gossamer Gear G4 16oz
Compactor Bag 1oz
Zpack Stuff Sacks 3oz Total: 20oz

Shelter:
HH Backpacker 21oz (might bring my WB instead/ about same weight)
HH Snakeskins 6oz (have two sets, one for tarp)
WB Mambajamba 13oz
8 Titanium Stakes 4oz Total: 44oz

Sleep System:
Warbonnet TQ 14oz
Warbonnet Yetti UQ 10oz
GG Thinlite Pad 6oz
Fleece Stuff Sack 2oz
Bag Liner (Mountain Laurel doesn’t have them anymore?) Total: 35oz

Clothing:
Exofficio SS Shirt 4.5oz 4.5oz worn
OR Expressa Skort 4oz 4 oz worn
Exofficio Undies (3) 3oz 1oz worn
Playtex Bras (2) 3oz 1.5oz worn
Darn Tough Socks (3) 6oz 2oz worn
UV Buff Headband 1oz 1oz worn
OR Gaitors 2oz 2oz worn
Capeline 1 bottoms 3oz
NanoPuff Jacket 11oz
AGG Rain Jacket 4.5oz
Rain Chaps 4oz
Patagonia Wind Jacket 4oz
Gloves (dunno yet) 5oz
OR Radar Cap 2oz
Beanie 2oz (I have two, 1 AGG/ 1 Arc’teryx, will decide which one)
Boxers and Tank 5oz
Capeline 3 top 6oz Winter
Capeline 3 bottoms 5oz Winter
Polar Buff 2.5oz Winter
Neoprene Booties 3.5oz Winter
Yaktrax Pro 1oz Winter Total: 78oz

Kitchen:
Caldera Keg-F 6oz
Alcohol 5oz
Ursak Minor 4oz
Losak (2) .8oz
FBC Cozy 2oz
LMF Spork .2 oz
AGG Water Sack 1oz Total: 19oz

Hygiene:
Leave-in Conditioner, Brush, Rubbing Alcohol, Mascara, Tooth Brush, Toothpaste (travel size), Floss, Hair bands, Vaseline Gel, Bandanas, Glide, Dr. Bronners soap (3oz jar), Sunscreen, Hand Sanitizer, Deet, Nail Clippers, Compact Mirror, Squirt Gun, Toilet Paper, Ziplock Bags
Total: 37oz

First Aid and Safety:
AGG Whistle/knife (2oz), Petzl Headlamp (1oz), AGG Fire Steel (.5oz), First Aid Kit (blister care, Band-Aids, super glue, antiseptic wipes, medications, gauze, nitrile gloves, Gatorade packets, tick removal), 20ft Survival Rope (not paracord), Duct Tape, Caribeaners, Compass, Guidebook, Map, Dog Tag with Allergy and Emergency Information, Spare Batteries
Total: 25 oz

Miscellaneous:
Leki Hiking Poles 11oz

Electronics:
Camera <8oz hopefully
Flip Camera 4oz (will be using this as a journal)
Arcadia Battery Pack 6oz
iPhone 5oz
USB Charger 2oz
Total: 25 oz

Total weight (including worn and winter clothes): 294oz or 18.4lbs
Not Listed:
Trail Runners (Merrills seem to give me shin splits)
Camp Shoes (Crocs are 11oz)
Water Purification System, still between SteriPen and AM
Dog Supplies (Tupperware for water/food, Flea/tick and worm meds, dog coat, booties, hiking leash, vet record, dog specific first aid kit, collar, tags)
Pepper spray/ bear spray

Thoughts?

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 11:24
Also my start date is hopefully leap day, so there is still a huge chance of snow.

MyName1sMud
09-23-2011, 11:29
What kind of shelter is that?

EDIT*** Got out my phone so I could search google... It's a hammock! NO wonder it's so light.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 11:32

It is a hammock

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 11:47

EDIT*** Got out my phone so I could search google... It's a hammock! NO wonder it's so light.

You have to add the tarp weight in though to get the real weight of the shelter. Its not 21 ounces, it is really 44 ounces total. About the same over all weight as a three pound tent.

dillard
09-23-2011, 12:09
Pretty solid list... There is a few small things I'll note that are more just to have less things to worry about than the overall weight.

Your rain jacket will serve the same purpose as the wind jacket, so the wind jacket could be left behind.

The OR radar cap seems a bit unnecessary. They call it the green tunnel for a reason so you wont need a billed hat 99% of the time and your buff will serve the purpose of keeping sweat/hair out of your eyes.

The firesteel i would leave behind and take a small bic instead.

I would take more than 20' of bear bagging rope. I know more than once I used nearly all 50' of my paracord and even let other sobo's hang on my line when theirs was too short.

Unless you plan to do a lot of backcountry camping the map and compass are really overkill, the trail is very well trodden and marked.

Consider doing your journal on your iphone so you don't have to bring another gadget. I found that putting mine in airplane mode would make the battery last for several days.

Consider a small water pump/filter since some sources were too shallow to fill a bottle with.

Lastly I wouldn't take a large bear spray canister, but if a small pepper spray makes you feel more secure as a lone female hiker it wont get in the way.

Hooch
09-23-2011, 12:18
Sweet list, well done! You should give lessons to djcoin. :rolleyes::banana

What tarp are you using over your hammock?

MyName1sMud
09-23-2011, 12:25
You have to add the tarp weight in though to get the real weight of the shelter. Its not 21 ounces, it is really 44 ounces total. About the same over all weight as a three pound tent.

Ah okay.

I've been thinking about getting into the actual sleeping hammock world.

Right now I just sleep in my ENO hammock with that ENO tent tarp over it.

mountain squid
09-23-2011, 12:30
Looks pretty thorough. Some observations:

something additional to hold water - maybe hydration system for drinking on the go
3 jackets? - will you wear all at the same time? - if not, might be too much
will you wear Capilene bottoms at same time? - if not, might be too much
needle for draining blisters
sunscreen
is the 3oz jr of dr Bs the large one? - if so, might not need that much - it is very sudsy
what is a skort?!?
long pants
is 20 ft of survival rope for hanging food? - if so, not enough
ear plugs
go with Aqua Mira
5 oz alcohol might not be enough between longer stretches
2 cameras?!? does an iPhone also take pictures?

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Snowleopard
09-23-2011, 12:34
It looks like a well thought out list.

A 14 oz top quilt won't be warm enough in a cold snap on its own. Maybe combined with all your clothes it'll work, but you need to try it out in cold conditions first. Insulation underneath you is important in the cold; I don't have experience with hammocking, but if you get cold consider adding another pad.

Your rain gear may be fine, but, again, try it out on a hike in cold wet conditions before you start. With a non breathable rain jacket, there will be a fine line between getting wet from inside (perspiration) and outside.

Your hygiene, first aid and safety items are very heavy, almost 4 lbs. Consider repacking some things into smaller containers and using a bounce box to refill every week or two. http://www.rei.com/category/40006333

Cameras: some small cameras have video and sound recording. Could your iphone work in place of the flip camera for journaling?

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 13:20
Pretty solid list... There is a few small things I'll note that are more just to have less things to worry about than the overall weight.

Your rain jacket will serve the same purpose as the wind jacket, so the wind jacket could be left behind.

The OR radar cap seems a bit unnecessary. They call it the green tunnel for a reason so you wont need a billed hat 99% of the time and your buff will serve the purpose of keeping sweat/hair out of your eyes.

The firesteel i would leave behind and take a small bic instead.

I would take more than 20' of bear bagging rope. I know more than once I used nearly all 50' of my paracord and even let other sobo's hang on my line when theirs was too short.

Unless you plan to do a lot of backcountry camping the map and compass are really overkill, the trail is very well trodden and marked.

Consider doing your journal on your iphone so you don't have to bring another gadget. I found that putting mine in airplane mode would make the battery last for several days.

Consider a small water pump/filter since some sources were too shallow to fill a bottle with.

Lastly I wouldn't take a large bear spray canister, but if a small pepper spray makes you feel more secure as a lone female hiker it wont get in the way.

I was thinking about that about the wind jacket and the rain jacket, but I've day hiked in both and the wind jacket just breathes better. I might still ditch it, but at four ounces, it is still on the list.

I've forgotten to put bic lighters on the list and will be taking a couple, but the fire steel is minimal weight. I'm still an ounce saver not a gram saver.

I will definitely make a note of the cord length :) thank you that is very helpful

Im a military gal, the compass and the map are necessities for me

I've tried the journal on the iPhone idea but the battery drains very fast when you use it for video, and I learned a while back about myself that I have a better chance keeping up with a journal in video or audio mode than written because of energy. Plus I thought it would be fun if I met a friend or two on the trail, then I could video them or joking around or an activity we shared, or anything like that. I could also send funny messages home that my mom would cry over because she'd be so happy to see my face and hear my voice (she is a worry wart).

Thanks, this was really helpful!! You rock!

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 13:21
Sweet list, well done! You should give lessons to djcoin. :rolleyes::banana

What tarp are you using over your hammock?

Right now I have the MambaJamba. I've seen another tarp that is the same size but weighs half the ounces, but its a three hundred dollar upgrade. While I have the money, I don't have the will to just simply waste it when the mambajamba is already fantastic.

1azarus
09-23-2011, 13:27
really nice. i am curious about your hiking experience -- this is a very sophisticated, carefully composed list. you are too young to know all this stuff!

Blissful
09-23-2011, 13:39
Are you used to being in a hammock in winter conditions? You can get snow, yes, and temps in the single digits.

Some of your hygiene I'd leave at home. You're in town frequent enough. Make-up - no way (that's me ha ha). But all those ounces add up to pounds and youll be wanting to ditch weight when you get to Neel Gap. Leave home - conditioner, comb (personal preference) mascara, vaseline, mirror, squirt gun (what is that for - ?), sunscreen (personal preference), nail clippers (a swiss knife has scissors) - I'd actually take a few baby wipes, only take a tiny film canister of Bronners - 3 oz is too much. Also leave home fire starter, fleece stuff sack (too heavy), one bra (are these sports bras?), gaiters (personal preference), boxers and tank (sleep in long underwear), booties (personal preference)

Take aqua mira, steri pen unreliable on long distances

I would never tell anyone to go without a map and compass, but I did only take maps, along with the guidebook section I needed.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 13:40
Looks pretty thorough. Some observations:

something additional to hold water - maybe hydration system for drinking on the go
3 jackets? - will you wear all at the same time? - if not, might be too much
will you wear Capilene bottoms at same time? - if not, might be too much
needle for draining blisters
sunscreen
is the 3oz jr of dr Bs the large one? - if so, might not need that much - it is very sudsy
what is a skort?!?
long pants
is 20 ft of survival rope for hanging food? - if so, not enough
ear plugs
go with Aqua Mira
5 oz alcohol might not be enough between longer stretches
2 cameras?!? does an iPhone also take pictures?

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

(just for the record, if I don't se you out there I'm going to be disappointed!!)

To address your points:
I'm still up in the air about hydration systems. I don't know what filter/ treatment I want, nor what I want to drink from, and all that jazz. Its not fettered out yet for me. There are too many options and every option has die hard supporters and die hard objectors.
The three jackets is sort of a misnomer. Its only one actual jacket, and then the rain jacket. I'm still on the fence about bringing the wind jacket but its comfortable, effective, breathes well, flatters my complexion, and its only a couple of ounces so it might make it in too. I hear what you are saying though.
I have ear plugs on my actual list but they weigh nothing so I didn't include them. On deployment I learned in certain situations I couldn't sleep without them
iPhone will remain off on trail. Also I'm a picture snob. I am one of those people who doesn't like to travel the same trip twice, so I look at the thru hike as the only time I'll ever do it. I want good pictures to remember it by.

Blissful
09-23-2011, 13:41
(just for the record, if I don't se you out there I'm going to be disappointed!!)

I want good pictures to remember it by.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree with you more on that one.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 13:50
It looks like a well thought out list.

A 14 oz top quilt won't be warm enough in a cold snap on its own. Maybe combined with all your clothes it'll work, but you need to try it out in cold conditions first. Insulation underneath you is important in the cold; I don't have experience with hammocking, but if you get cold consider adding another pad.

Your rain gear may be fine, but, again, try it out on a hike in cold wet conditions before you start. With a non breathable rain jacket, there will be a fine line between getting wet from inside (perspiration) and outside.

Your hygiene, first aid and safety items are very heavy, almost 4 lbs. Consider repacking some things into smaller containers and using a bounce box to refill every week or two. http://www.rei.com/category/40006333

Cameras: some small cameras have video and sound recording. Could your iphone work in place of the flip camera for journaling?

I have been waiting EAGERLY for winter to try out all my winter things, including night time sleeping in the snow and hiking in the snow and rain. I need to know the specifics of how each piece works before I take it/ replace it, and I only started accumulating gear when it was warm out.

I have been considering a bounce box more and more, actually. Certain things in that hygiene, first aid and safety kit are likely going to go to the wayside after the first couple of weeks, but I have a certain mentality drilled into me that I'm better safe than sorry. You've seen Black Hawk Down (although the book is better), the rule we learned from that is always take your NVG's even if its a day time mission :)

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 13:59
Are you used to being in a hammock in winter conditions? You can get snow, yes, and temps in the single digits.

Some of your hygiene I'd leave at home. You're in town frequent enough. Make-up - no way (that's me ha ha). But all those ounces add up to pounds and youll be wanting to ditch weight when you get to Neel Gap. Leave home - conditioner, comb (personal preference) mascara, vaseline, mirror, squirt gun (what is that for - ?), sunscreen (personal preference), nail clippers (a swiss knife has scissors) - I'd actually take a few baby wipes, only take a tiny film canister of Bronners - 3 oz is too much. Also leave home fire starter, fleece stuff sack (too heavy), one bra (are these sports bras?), gaiters (personal preference), boxers and tank (sleep in long underwear), booties (personal preference)

Take aqua mira, steri pen unreliable on long distances

I would never tell anyone to go without a map and compass, but I did only take maps, along with the guidebook section I needed.

I hear that more and more about the steripen, so I'm leaning against it. I was originally looking at it as a primary. The mascara is personal preference. The vaseline is a necessity. Iraq permanently dried out my sinus cavity and if I don't have it on hand I can get a bloody nose for months. Longest I have had one so far is for nine months. Bras are not sports bras. I tried that course but it just gave me heat rashes and these ones dry out faster as all. I need a pillow, but I'm open to finding a lesser weight alternative. At only two ounces for the fleece stuff sack though, I'm not sure I can. Sunscreen is necessary at least to start when I'll be hiking before the leaves come out. I'm scottish. I burn easy :)

I'll scale down the bronners (and possibly not take it, I recently bought a bottle of it to try out and we will see), and buy some aqua mira to try it out at home. I can scale down the conditioner as well, but I'll need the brush. I'm still on the watch for a lighter weight brush that will tackle my hair.

Thank you blissful for all your recommendations. It makes me second guess a couple of items, but the items are so small that its negligible if I end up taking them and ditching them. Like the mascara. I'd be out what, like eight dollars :)

10-K
09-23-2011, 14:12
Nice list.

There are some things that *I* would change but I wouldn't necessarily recommend for someone else to change because it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

If I was forced to make a single suggestion I'd probably say start with a tent and switch to a hammock when the weather warmed up. That too is highly subjective though.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 14:18
Nice list.

There are some things that *I* would change but I wouldn't necessarily recommend for someone else to change because it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

If I was forced to make a single suggestion I'd probably say start with a tent and switch to a hammock when the weather warmed up. That too is highly subjective though.

I have considered this. It really depends on how winter treats me on my shake down snow trip so we will see. If everything I have at this moment for that hammock is not enough for me in the snow, then I might have to reconsider, stock up on tenting things and do another shake down to see if that helps.

I have read all of your gear threads. Someday, I might be at your level. I admire you as a hiker and a forum member. Some of the items on my list have already been directly influenced by some of the items on your list.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 14:22
really nice. i am curious about your hiking experience -- this is a very sophisticated, carefully composed list. you are too young to know all this stuff!

None, really. I toy around with the gear I have to do shake downs, but I've never set foot on the AT and any long "hiking" trip I've been on has been with a much heavier pack, and much less personal choices, lol. Thank you though. I've been researching this and testing gear out for a few months now.

RWheeler
09-23-2011, 15:52
You've probably already received a ton of valid, helpful... uhh... help... so I'll put in these two cents:

Your gear budget is way under $6k. Obviously you haven't planned right :-P

Hooch
09-23-2011, 16:09
I might. . . .stock up on tenting things. . . . Why, funny you should say that. :-? I just happen to have a gently used Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo for sale right now. :D If you're interested, let me know. Since, as best I can gather, you are or were active duty military, I'll knock $10 off the price and throw in free shipping via USPS Priority Mail, insured. $150 for you only.

bigcranky
09-23-2011, 16:10
That's a good list. In my personal very humble opinion it's a little light on insulation for a Feb 29th start. The Nanopuff is nice, but I'd want a puffy down jacket to start that early, though of course you could wrap yourself in your quilts around camp. But you'll figure out all this stuff on your winter shakedown hikes, no doubt. (Great idea, more hikers should do this.)

In general for cold weather I bring two hats and two pairs of gloves -- one very light set for hiking, and one warmer set for camp and sleeping. None of these things is that heavy, they're just fleece.

I love my Waldies sandals (earlier version of Crocs.) Tried leaving them home to save 11 ounces, but I missed them, so now they come on every trip.

Have fun on the fall hiking -- my favorite time to be out on the trail. November in the Mt Rogers area, in particular.

Buffalo Skipper
09-23-2011, 16:22
Fog Horn, I have no quams with your choice of hammock. As a hammocker myself, I have been down to 21°, and have since improved my system. I feel I could now go to 10° or so and still be toasty. I don't know what type of Yeti and TQ you have at those weights, but I would most definately spend multiple nights out in your backyard or anywhere you can whenever temps are below 30° to gain experience.

I cannot comment on your personal items, except to suggest you follow Blissful's advice. And if you have the chance, read her journals. They are very well written and informative. From a gal's perspective, you will likely get even more out of them then I did.

Aside from that, it looks like a very well organized list. The military/deployment experience will go far, but you seem to have done a better job than most of converting that expertise into lightweight backpacking, which is not always an easy transition. Once you gain a comfort level in cold temps in the hammock, get out on the trail for some 2-5 day jaunts (in the cold) to really try to give your gear a shake down. Several of these trips will go far to honing your gear list and preparing you for the trek.

Keep us informed on your progress, and good luck! :)

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 16:31
You've probably already received a ton of valid, helpful... uhh... help... so I'll put in these two cents:Your gear budget is way under $6k. Obviously you haven't planned right :-PHahahahahs!!!

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 16:32
Why, funny you should say that. :-? I just happen to have a gently used Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo for sale right now. :D If you're interested, let me know. Since, as best I can gather, you are or were active duty military, I'll knock $10 off the price and throw in free shipping via USPS Priority Mail, insured. $150 for you only.Thanks, but I really need to do a test run on my hammock. I love the support for the troops though, that's freakin awesome and so are you!!

Hooch
09-23-2011, 16:46
Thanks, but I really need to do a test run on my hammock. I love the support for the troops though, that's freakin awesome and so are you!!I'm a Marine Corps veteran, so I appreciate our troops because I've been there. If you know anyone who's interested in it, I'll give them the same price.

1azarus
09-23-2011, 17:45
Thanks, but I really need to do a test run on my hammock. I love the support for the troops though, that's freakin awesome and so are you!!

actually, I'd suggest you try to put in as much hammock time as you possibly can this winter. one or two nights just isn't enough. there are so many variables -- especially in the cold, that practice and patience are both essential. once you have "the skills," though, it is wonderful camping year round with a hammock.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 19:02
I'm a Marine Corps veteran, so I appreciate our troops because I've been there. If you know anyone who's interested in it, I'll give them the same price.

Well thank you for your service too!! Once a Marine, always a Marine ;)

I sure will pass the word along but most of the soldiers I know are strictly prima donnas who do not want to get dirty more than they have to

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 19:06
actually, I'd suggest you try to put in as much hammock time as you possibly can this winter. one or two nights just isn't enough. there are so many variables -- especially in the cold, that practice and patience are both essential. once you have "the skills," though, it is wonderful camping year round with a hammock.

Because the peril of the trail for me really comes from the beginning weeks in the cold, I feel like no amount of practice can be enough. I want to hit the trail not thinking or hoping my gear will work for me, but knowing that it will keep me warm with or without my dog (she's like a space heater).

Once I get out of the cold I'll be able to drop some of the gear (bounce box it or something). If I don't get the cold weather down though, my trip is as good as delayed before it starts. To me, testing the gear in the winter is literally the biggest cog in the training gears. Everything else I think will fall into place.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 19:08
Fog Horn, I have no quams with your choice of hammock. As a hammocker myself, I have been down to 21°, and have since improved my system. I feel I could now go to 10° or so and still be toasty. I don't know what type of Yeti and TQ you have at those weights, but I would most definately spend multiple nights out in your backyard or anywhere you can whenever temps are below 30° to gain experience.

I cannot comment on your personal items, except to suggest you follow Blissful's advice. And if you have the chance, read her journals. They are very well written and informative. From a gal's perspective, you will likely get even more out of them then I did.

Aside from that, it looks like a very well organized list. The military/deployment experience will go far, but you seem to have done a better job than most of converting that expertise into lightweight backpacking, which is not always an easy transition. Once you gain a comfort level in cold temps in the hammock, get out on the trail for some 2-5 day jaunts (in the cold) to really try to give your gear a shake down. Several of these trips will go far to honing your gear list and preparing you for the trek.

Keep us informed on your progress, and good luck! :)

Although originally from California, I'm sort of "blessed" to be on the East Coast this year so I'll definitely have the chance for a snow camping trip. The hard part will be trying to find someone to come with me. I have two hammocks though, so maybe I can convince one of the guys at work.

mountain squid
09-23-2011, 20:00
(just for the record, if I don't se you out there I'm going to be disappointed!!)Oh, I’ll be out on the trail somewhere . . . at various times . . . . however, those of you starting on the 29th of Feb will probably be sucked into some weird vortex http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/ty.gif that only opens every 350 years. And, unfortunately, you’ll never be seen or heard from ever again . . . http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-rolleyes010.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy035.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/jawdrop.gif

Yeah, I like taking pictures also and I take lots of them. One thing about gear though, is that it is nice to have things that can do more than one thing, thereby reducing the need to carry additional items. Is your journal going to be a video journal requiring the flip camera?

I like using a hydration system. That way you don't have to remove your pack for a drink. They also hold more water and are lighter than either a Gatorade bottle or a Nalgene.

Be sure you are comfortable in a hammock. I couldn't sleep well in one, so that is why I opted for a tent. And when you throw in all the extras needed just to stay warm, a hammock just became too complex for me and seemingly heavier than a tent.

How are you going to have a dog in a hammock? That certainly doesn't sound too comfortable . . .

Hope to See you on the trail (next year),
mt squid

10-K
09-23-2011, 20:12
I like using a hydration system. That way you don't have to remove your pack for a drink. They also hold more water and are lighter than either a Gatorade bottle or a Nalgene.

But, do note they are pretty useless when temps are below freezing.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 20:15
I think getting sucked into a vortex might be one of the more attractive things about the trail haha.

My doggie is all of 30 pounds, and she's a snuggler. She just curls up half on me and half off and we are good to go (except in the summer she will kill me with her body heat).

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 20:18
I really cannot stand hydration systems, if by hydration system you mean like a version of a CamelBak. I like knowing exactly how much water I have left, and the nozzles really get on my nerves because I constantly have to clean them out with qtips and whatnot.

dillard
09-23-2011, 20:46
That's an adorable pup you have there! I totally agree with you about hydration systems... I had a 3L Camelbak with me and after a week only used it in camp so I could make a single trip to the spring to refill my bottles and cook with.

mountain squid
09-23-2011, 20:51
This (http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hydration-systems/big-zip-sl/product) is what I carry for 'clean' water and this (http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/water-bottles/platy-bottle/product) is for 'dirty' water. Once 'dirty' water has been treated, I transfer to hydration system. Personally, I've never had a problem knowing approx how much water I had. I stay rather cognizant (big word for the day) of the bite valve but inevitably it does come in contact with unsanitary surfaces, like the ground or a shelter floor (I've even had a mouse nibble on one before) and, since everything gets dirty anyway . . . I've never cleaned it with a qtip . . . maybe it's time I did . . . . the hose might freeze (as 10-K implies) but you only need to blow the water back into the reservoir to avoid that from happening. Otherwise, if it is cold enough, I'm not sure why it would be anymore likely to freeze than anything else.

You're doggie looks HUGE! (well, maybe not). Have you taught her to fish?!?

Hope to See you on the trail (next year),
mt squid

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 21:14
She was actually hunting.... frogs :) She has not caught one yet, but she doesn't really go after them. When she was a baby pup she hunted, caught, and ate a moth, but she forgot to chew so the moth kept flying going down her throat and she spent the next ten minutes throwing up. The moth, amazingly, totally lived.

They give us CamelBaks when we go down range, and I've just never had good luck with them. I considered getting a platypus or two, especially when I found one for wine :) but the hose and nozzle will always be a big no no with me. I'm glad it works for you. I'm a bit awkward when it comes to drinks. I'll eat food after ants crawl all over it or a mouse eats from it (thank you Uncle Sam, lol), but I can't drink from a filthy nozzle.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 21:18
Also you should note the death and destruction in the first pic. That fluff all around her is the hedgehog's guts :)

SnakeSession
09-23-2011, 21:32
Great gear list and that's a nice low starting weight already. Some of that stuff will go after a week or so.

Think you'll like the hammock. Your dog will help you stay warm too! I'm also testing and getting my hammock gear dialed in for next year. Staying warm and dry is the key.

bigcranky
09-23-2011, 21:39
I'd go on a winter trip with you, but you won't find me freezing in a hammock. No hikersicle here (though I love my HH in warm weather.) And as my wearin' o' the green was, er, almost 30 years ago, I know I'm not keeping up with a current service member on the trail. But my hiking partner and I are happy to get out on winter weekends (when we can find one that we're not working....)

Have fun with the shakedowns.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 21:51
Thanks BC and thank you for your service!!!

Traildog & Tbone
09-23-2011, 22:09
Enjoy reading your posts Fog Horn, you got a good head on your shoulders it seems, which I believe makes all the difference. I am also doing a thru next year with my pup, starting a little later than you around april 1. Wondering what breed yours is & if you had any luck with her/his pack. Your gear list looks great & thanks for your time in the troops.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 22:16
My dog thing is a complete grab bag. I haven't the slightest clue what is in her. I got her from a rescue when she was four months old, but I think her mom had some terrier in her but the rescue never specified which kind.

I've actually not had any luck on the pack. She's small in circumference but long, so none of the store bought packs seem to fit her. I took her for a six mile trek with her pack packed the way I'd pack it on the trail, and it rubbed a sore spot under her arm pit place. There is a company called moonbowgear that will make a custom dog pack which I might try to see if its any better, but if not, then I just plan on carrying her things. I'm considering trying to kennel her at the top of GSNP until I get there, that way the worst of the cold might be over before she starts hiking with me, but we will see. It would also give me a chance to get a system down before adding the additional stress of a dog to the mix.

Fog Horn
09-23-2011, 22:23
I'd go on a winter trip with you, but you won't find me freezing in a hammock. No hikersicle here (though I love my HH in warm weather.) And as my wearin' o' the green was, er, almost 30 years ago, I know I'm not keeping up with a current service member on the trail. But my hiking partner and I are happy to get out on winter weekends (when we can find one that we're not working....)

Have fun with the shakedowns.

Since you aren't incredibly far away, BC, just thought I'd ask, where do you go for long hikes around the area?

Traildog & Tbone
09-23-2011, 22:39
Thanks for the suggestion on moonbowgear, have same problem with my rott/hound rescue. He has a large girth, thick neck and short body. Tried ruffwear which makes great products but doesnt fit his funny shape well. Stay warm and good luck on your winter shakedown.

Buffalo Skipper
09-24-2011, 09:53
If you are going to have your dog in the hammock with you, you need to read this hammock thread first:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38637

Obviously your combined weights are much less, but all it took was a nick of a claw. Enjoy the read, it is quite funny.

Fog Horn
09-24-2011, 10:32
Lol thanks for the laugh!!! Very funny!!!! I'll have to look into the booties suggestion! My pup and I are together well below the weight limit :)

yappy
09-24-2011, 10:58
I carried lulus food it helped her alot and wasn't a bother 2 me

Fog Horn
09-24-2011, 11:15
I carried lulus food it helped her alot and wasn't a bother 2 meI'm highly leaning towards this. Easier for her and me both I think

PapaGarrettP
09-24-2011, 14:22
Lot's of great advice for you, Foghorn. My two cents: after 23 years of using those little iodine tabs that Uncle Sam so thoughtfully provided I thought, after retirement, I would try the high tech steri-pen. The first one failed on me out on the Olympic Peninsula (luckily I had some iodine tabs as a back up) and the second failed in Peru (I bought bottled water -- a major pain). Last March I used the tabs the entire two weeks of my section hike (NC-TN), except when I was able to take from a pipe (spring). In this case I chose not t treat and did not have any problems.

Fredt4
09-24-2011, 16:46
I carried a steri-pen as a backup, but mostly just drank the water without treatment. Sometimes I boiled the water, but usually I just tried to get water from a spring or tap. I don't believe I'll carry a Steri-pen should I thru-hike again. I know several other thru-hikers that didn't treat their water to no ill effect. It would have been nice to have had a pump several times for several streams due to small flow. So I guess my point, is a filter necessary? Perhaps others could comment on their experience as to it's necessity.

mountain squid
09-24-2011, 19:55
Also you should note the death and destruction in the first pic. That fluff all around her is the hedgehog's guts :)I did notice the gruesome scene in the first pic. I thought it was a squirrel that had met its untimely demise. The graphic depiction almost made me sick to my stomach http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick007.gif. . . . . . . I'm just now getting over it . . . . . .

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think004.gifDo you think you will be serving up Frog Leg Soup and Hedgehog steaks often on the trail . . . with moth appetizers, of course? If so, you will likely be able to answer the ‘Is it feasible to live off the trail?’ question very authoritatively. mmmmmmm Frog legs . . . . . . . . (do frog legs taste like chicken?)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

RWheeler
09-25-2011, 12:26
Do you think you will be serving up Frog Leg Soup and Hedgehog steaks often on the trail . . . with moth appetizers, of course?

But she said the moth escaped, no? So wouldn't one be more apt to refer to it as a seasoning than a true appetizer?

yappy
09-25-2011, 13:12
I wantd lulu 2 enjoy the trip tht was her only job it is already very difficult on dogs 4 a variety of reasons if I cld alleviate 1 of them I would

Fog Horn
09-25-2011, 13:56
But she said the moth escaped, no? So wouldn't one be more apt to refer to it as a seasoning than a true appetizer?Lol that's too funny. Maybe a garnish?

seabrookhiker
09-25-2011, 15:08
The newer Steripens are more reliable than the old ones. I got one for a month long section in Maine this August and it was just dandy (but I carried some iodine to be on the safe side. Didn't use it.) I like that it doesn't impart any taste and is pretty fast. I don't think it's actually faster than the Platypus gravity filter, though. Just a little lighter. When hiking with a partner I use the gravity filter and love it. Note: the batteries in the Steripen do not like cold weather. Around freezing or below I take mine out of the pen to warm them up before use.

I started a thruhike in mid-March 2010 with the AGG rain jacket. Loved the light weight, but the lack of breathability was a problem. I think I was wetter with the thing on than without it, and I didn't stay particularly warm. Tried another raincoat I bought in Hiawassee (don't remember the brand) but finally ended up with yet another Marmot Precip (purchased in Hot Springs) for the rest of my trip. Make sure you wear that AGG on a cold rainy day to see if it works for you.

Gloves: the Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch gloves aren't waterproof but are otherwise awesome. http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Women%27s-Power-Stretch%C2%AE-Glove/OL2861,default,pd.html

Battery pack: I've found the 3g Juice to be reliable and lightweight. It took me almost two weeks to get through the hundred mile wilderness, and I didn't go through the three 3g Juice chargers I carried despite listening to audio 10+ hours a day, using it for a journal, and taking 400+ photos. It's worth a look.

mountain squid
09-25-2011, 15:15
Lol that's too funny. Maybe a garnish?A moth might be a little to chunky for a seasoning . . . a garnish might work. Could you carve one into a rose? You'll have lots of time to practice . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Fog Horn
09-25-2011, 16:15
Seabrook,

I actually had the gravity filter on my list for quite some time, but it was weight and replacement and reliability that made me take it off. The cold weather and the batteries for the Steripen does worry me, so I think it makes me lean more heavily towards the AM pills. I might have to buy and test out the precip jacket.

Thank you for that post, it was super helpful

Fog Horn
09-25-2011, 16:23
A moth might be a little to chunky for a seasoning . . . a garnish might work. Could you carve one into a rose? You'll have lots of time to practice . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I have a scar from the last time I tried to carve anything other than a turkey :rolleyes:

Fog Horn
09-25-2011, 16:25
mmmmmmm Frog legs . . . . . . . . (do frog legs taste like chicken?)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I've only had them in Paris, and they were seeped in garlic, but they were not too different than chicken. Different texture though. Cat is like that too, which I had in Venice by accident, tastes a lot like chicken but completely different texture.

mountain squid
09-25-2011, 17:19
Cat?!? Now we know what is in your reefer (refrigerator for those who don't know) . . . http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s2869.gif

For as many times as I was overseas, I can't recall eating anything out of the ordinary . . . although there were probably a few times when I didn't know what I was eating . . . .

Did you go up the Eiffel Tower? I did.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Fog Horn
09-25-2011, 17:38
The cat was actually in the Chinese food, and it was a pretty common thing to encounter while eating Chinese food in Italy in the areas we went to, especially around Vicenza. I've been up the Eiffel Tower twice now, once as a teenager when we ran up to the top on all the steps, and once this past April when I took my mom to Paris for her birthday. She refused to go up any other way but the elevator.

Also in Cali there is only one definition of reefer ;)

mountain squid
09-25-2011, 19:31
I've been up the Eiffel Tower twice nowwell, I've also been up the Tokyo Tower :p . . . I wouldn't know about that other type of reefer . . . medicinal or otherwise . . . .

How about chocolate covered moth? After all, every hiker carries chocolate. That sounds like a particularly tasty treat for dessert . . . protein rich too maybe . . . . don't reckon you could share it with the pooch though . . . . (dogs don't eat chocolate, do they?)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

RWheeler
09-25-2011, 20:20
well, I've also been up the Tokyo Tower :p . . . I wouldn't know about that other type of reefer . . . medicinal or otherwise . . . .

How about chocolate covered moth? After all, every hiker carries chocolate. That sounds like a particularly tasty treat for dessert . . . protein rich too maybe . . . . don't reckon you could share it with the pooch though . . . . (dogs don't eat chocolate, do they?)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Thinking of chocolate covered moths actually made me a little hungry... I feel like they'd be better to fondue, though. Especially since they're attracted to light, they might just fly themselves into a pot of molten cheese.

mountain squid
09-25-2011, 20:50
Fondued Moth . . . . that might be good . . . . cheese is readily available and hikers often carry it also.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Fog Horn
09-25-2011, 21:39
My dog does LOVE cheese.....:rolleyes:

bigcranky
09-26-2011, 14:27
Since you aren't incredibly far away, BC, just thought I'd ask, where do you go for long hikes around the area?

For a quick weekend, we go to the Mt Rogers area in SW Virginia, it's about 2 hours from Winston-Salem. Several nice loops in that area, anywhere from 10-25 miles. You can also get a shuttle from Damascus to various trailheads north and south of town. You can arrange anywhere from a 14-65 mile hike that way (or longer, of course.)

Plenty of great hiking areas within 2-4 hours of here, including the Erwin, TN, area, the Standing Indian area, the Nantahalas, etc. You can PM me and I can send more details.

mountain squid
09-30-2011, 18:59
I'm not sure how freezer bag cooking will work for a hedgehog steak. Have you looked at any frying pans? I suppose you could just put the whole thing over a campfire on a spit and rotate . . . http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s4618.gif . . . this might be helpful (http://www.firepies.com/grizzlyspit.html) (don't know if there is a lightweight option).

See you on the trail,
mt squid