PDA

View Full Version : Condition of Long Trail??

stranger
09-24-2011, 07:17
Can anyone give an update of the condition of the Long Trail after the hurricane that blasted it? We have a Long Trail thru-hike planned for next year in August and just wanted to get an update on how bad the trail was damaged.

Any credible information would be appreciated, no rumours please : )

nehiker
09-24-2011, 09:21
Can anyone give an update of the condition of the Long Trail after the hurricane that blasted it? We have a Long Trail thru-hike planned for next year in August and just wanted to get an update on how bad the trail was damaged. Any credible information would be appreciated, no rumours please : )

It should be fine by next summer. It is already not too bad:
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=258
You could also e-mail them next summer for trail updates; they do reply to e-mails.

The trail was rather wet and muddy in many places after rains even in late June and early July this summer, before any hurricanes.

Jeff
09-25-2011, 08:25
I am guessing the same...next summer should be fine. Maybe a few footbridges out that will require a quick ford.

One problem that will remain are several forest service roads may remain closed for repairs. That would only be an issue if you needed to get off unexpectedly.

NorthCountryWoods
09-25-2011, 16:21
To be honest, a lot can happen between now and then.....good or bad. Best to get the conditions closer to the time you go.

stranger
09-26-2011, 07:27
Yeah thanks I was posting now because it was my understanding that Vermont got blasted during the hurricane, so was trying to assess the situation from this latest storm. Glad to hear it's not too bad, hopefully it will only improve.

NorthCountryWoods
09-26-2011, 11:12
Haven't heard much about actual trail damage and haven't seen any up here. Mostly just blow downs and access roads washing out in the south and central sections, but nothing that would seriously hinder a thru hiker. Sounds like the same stuff that happens every spring thaw.

I'm sure some water bars took a hit and there's some accelerated erosion, but that's pretty typical of the trail every year.

Yukon
09-26-2011, 11:45
Was out on it all weekend! The section we were in (Stratton Mt and Pond area) was in GREAT shape! You can tell the forest service had been through and did clearing. Awesome hiking :)

Rough
09-27-2011, 13:45
I recently hiked the 11.6 mile section of the LT from Appalachian Gap to Lincoln Gap. The trail is in fine shape with only a few small blowdowns. Access to the trail at AG (VT 17) and LG (Lincoln Gap Road) is easy with both roads and parking areas open.

mirabela
09-27-2011, 16:37
Irene did most of its damage by volume of water, not wind. I've heard reports of a few areas with many blowdowns (around Spruce Ledge camp in the north, for instance) but mostly things seem OK. A lot of the southern side trails and/or their access roads suffered washouts, but it sounds like the majority of the LT held up well.

Comet Omega
09-30-2011, 20:47
I got back last Sunday and did 221 miles of the Long Trail. Started at the Canadian Border and hiked South to APP Gap and had to get off the trail because the Green Mountain National Forest was closed. It opened about 8 days later and then I hiked from Mass to Sherburne Pass. The southern part of Killington is the worst section of trail. It was pretty confusing with missing sections South of Gov. Clement Shelter and Cold River was pretty messed up. It you go slow by the streams and follow the cairns and foot steps you can find the trail. One section wasn't marked, but it was getting some traffic to help with being able to follow. The rest of the trail was absolutely no problem.

Highway Man
10-01-2011, 08:40
I just got back last night from a 118 mile LT section hike from Rt. 4 to Johnson, and didn't see any particular Irene aftermath. Except for a handful of serious blown-downs, and a few minor washouts, the trail was just as rugged, muddy, and tough as I usually would have expected. I think the those "Irene" related problems(?) will disappear when you hike it next year. Hope it gives you some relief about the trail condition.

Chaco Taco
10-10-2011, 23:50
Rt 9 to Glastenbury was awesome this weekend

Fireweed
10-11-2011, 15:30
I was there during Irene and the issues were access rather than trail damage. I'm missing VT9 to White Rocks. Maybe next year.

Snowleopard
10-11-2011, 19:15
Chaco, did you travel on rte 9 thru Brattleboro? How is the road (rte 9)?

Jeff
10-11-2011, 19:27
Rt 9 between Bennington and Brattleboro is open. There may be a few construction delays.

Vermont road conditions: http://www.511vt.com/

Chaco Taco
10-12-2011, 18:13
Chaco, did you travel on rte 9 thru Brattleboro? How is the road (rte 9)?

It was fine. Although, we got stuck, and I mean stuck. We sat in a lane for an hour, without moving before the big bridge. There was a wreck and the road got shut down for an hour. Ended up sitting there with the car off. Other than that isolated incident, the road is open and has about 3-4 spots where it goes to one lane. It was no issue though.

savvybookyuckhike
10-13-2011, 10:38
I thru hiked the entire going southbound. The only real trail damage that I saw was around Killington (between Gov. Clement shelter, and Calderon shelter) in which you had about .5 miles of washed out trail. Hikers did a good job of marking an alternate route with zen rocks. One though trail! Good Luck.