PDA

View Full Version : How to unload lots of used hiking equipment

esmithz
09-24-2011, 12:07
Hey there my fellow hikers.
I am spending less time these days on the trail and more time at home changing diapers and feeding babies.
I have a pile of used hiking equipment I need to get rid of. Most of this stuff is in excellent condition.

Rather than try to go on craigslist and sell the stuff piece by piece are their outfitters or organizations I can sell or donate the equipment to as one big lot?

I suppose I can go on craigslist and try to sell the stuff as one big lot.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Captain Blue
09-24-2011, 12:49
Donate the equipment to a local Boy Scout group or other youth group that goes backpacking. I am sure lots of people will take it. But consider donating it to youths to get them outside. You can always donate it to my hiking club - DaytonHikers.Org. We will put it to good use.

Espero
09-24-2011, 13:19
Donate the equipment to a local Boy Scout group or other youth group that goes backpacking. I am sure lots of people will take it. But consider donating it to youths to get them outside. You can always donate it to my hiking club - DaytonHikers.Org. We will put it to good use. Don't forget to include the Girl Scouts.

esmithz
09-24-2011, 13:48
Thanks for the idea. I never considered boy / girl scouts.

Cheers

Monkeyboy
09-24-2011, 22:50
I have a Venture Crew, which is part of Boy Scouts of America, that is boys and girls from the ages of 14 to 21. Many in the Crew are from low income families.

We take about 12 to 15 youth every year to hike 100 miles on the AT and would greatly appreciate any donations.

Many here can also vouch for the program the we run, and have donated to our youth as well.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks.

MuddyWaters
09-24-2011, 23:40
If its not cutting edge, lightweight, late model stuff , the resale may be low enough that you come out ahead by donating and claiming an inflated donation value on taxes. Esp considering the hassle to sell individual items and ship them.

But you probably figured that out.

MuddyWaters
09-24-2011, 23:41
meant to add that the boy scouts are 501c nonprofit so it counts as charitable donation.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2011, 00:01
I am spending less time these days on the trail and more time at home changing diapers and feeding babies.
I have a pile of used hiking equipment I need to get rid of. Most of this stuff is in excellent condition.

Rather than try to go on craigslist and sell the stuff piece by piece are their outfitters or organizations I can sell or donate the equipment to as one big lot?

Thanks

I have a Venture Crew, which is part of Boy Scouts of America, that is boys and girls from the ages of 14 to 21. Many in the Crew are from low income families.

We take about 12 to 15 youth every year to hike 100 miles on the AT and would greatly appreciate any donations.

Many here can also vouch for the program the we run, and have donated to our youth as well.

Thanks.mr. esmithz. this monkeyboy guy is a very good man. he does great work with the youth where he lives. the hiking gear you're willing to donate will benefit the kids. consider his plea

fireneck
09-25-2011, 00:40
Don't forget about YMCA Residential Summer Camps that offer backpacking programs!

SMSP
09-25-2011, 02:01
What do you have exactly?

Can you list some of the items?

SMSP

Two Speed
09-25-2011, 04:42
mr. esmithz. this monkeyboy guy is a very good man. he does great work with the youth where he lives. the hiking gear you're willing to donate will benefit the kids. consider his pleaI'll second LW. MonkeyBoy takes a good sized group of boys and girls out on the AT every year. I could write a short novel detailing what he goes through to make that happen, but I'll spare everyone that and say MB busts his ass to make it happen. Unfortunately not all the kids have the kind of home life we'd wish for, and that gear will definitely be put to good use.

SGT Rock
09-25-2011, 06:49
Another vouch for MonkeyBoy as a good person to donate it too. He is doing good stuff getting kids out in the woods.

JERMM
09-25-2011, 08:27

Thanks.

mr. esmithz. this monkeyboy guy is a very good man. he does great work with the youth where he lives. the hiking gear you're willing to donate will benefit the kids. consider his plea

I'll second LW. MonkeyBoy takes a good sized group of boys and girls out on the AT every year. I could write a short novel detailing what he goes through to make that happen, but I'll spare everyone that and say MB busts his ass to make it happen. Unfortunately not all the kids have the kind of home life we'd wish for, and that gear will definitely be put to good use.

Another vouch for MonkeyBoy as a good person to donate it too. He is doing good stuff getting kids out in the woods.

another vote for Monkey Boy and the Venture Crew, this group is very fortunate to have some one like MB in their life.

woodsy
09-25-2011, 09:17
I'd seriously consider donating it all to Venture Crew, Monkey Boy does great stuff with them and they need equitment.

Lugnut
09-25-2011, 09:30
I've donated to Monkey Boy's Venture crew and was proud to do so. His heart is in the right place!

envirodiver
09-25-2011, 10:32
I have also donated to Monkey Boy and his Venture Crew. He does excellent work with the low income family children. Introducing them to the world of the wilderness that we all love so much. Your gear would be put to a very good use by these kids.

Dances with Mice
09-25-2011, 11:20
Don't you just hate it when people pile on a W-B member? But in this case he deserves it.

I've met MonkeyBoy, he's real and the work is does with kids is real good.

Bearpaw
09-25-2011, 11:22

Thanks

I'm quite familiar with Monkeyboy's venturing group. He's posted a number of trip reports of his crew's trips here on Whiteblaze and elsewhere. I've tried to help him out with gear in the past myself.

Roots
09-25-2011, 11:44
another vote for MonkeyBoy!! He does amazing work with kids that would never see the adventures in the world of backpacking if not for him! Please consider his venture crew!!! Thanks!:sun

Chaco Taco
09-25-2011, 11:58
Monkeyboy is quality people. Contributing to his group would be a worthy investment of your stuff. He is really making a difference to young people.

Monkeyboy
09-25-2011, 18:40
meant to add that the boy scouts are 501c nonprofit so it counts as charitable donation.

Technically, a Cub Pack, Boy Scout Troop or Venture Crew has the tax status of whatever organization that sponsors them.

We are sponsored by a church (as most are) so yes, we have 501c nonprofit status. But if you were sponsored by an outfitter or whatnot, you would have whatever tax status they have.

That is because the Pack, Troop or Crew is owned by the sponsoring organization.

Monkeyboy
09-25-2011, 18:45
mr. esmithz. this monkeyboy guy is a very good man. he does great work with the youth where he lives. the hiking gear you're willing to donate will benefit the kids. consider his plea

I'll second LW. MonkeyBoy takes a good sized group of boys and girls out on the AT every year. I could write a short novel detailing what he goes through to make that happen, but I'll spare everyone that and say MB busts his ass to make it happen. Unfortunately not all the kids have the kind of home life we'd wish for, and that gear will definitely be put to good use.

another vote for Monkey Boy and the Venture Crew, this group is very fortunate to have some one like MB in their life.

I'd seriously consider donating it all to Venture Crew, Monkey Boy does great stuff with them and they need equitment.

I've donated to Monkey Boy's Venture crew and was proud to do so. His heart is in the right place!

I have also donated to Monkey Boy and his Venture Crew. He does excellent work with the low income family children. Introducing them to the world of the wilderness that we all love so much. Your gear would be put to a very good use by these kids.

Don't you just hate it when people pile on a W-B member? But in this case he deserves it.

I'm quite familiar with Monkeyboy's venturing group. He's posted a number of trip reports of his crew's trips here on Whiteblaze and elsewhere. I've tried to help him out with gear in the past myself.

another vote for MonkeyBoy!! He does amazing work with kids that would never see the adventures in the world of backpacking if not for him! Please consider his venture crew!!! Thanks!:sun

Monkeyboy is quality people. Contributing to his group would be a worthy investment of your stuff. He is really making a difference to young people.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys.

Almost makes me want to cry..... :)

weary
09-25-2011, 19:55

Thanks.
For what it's worth, Monkeyboy is a bit wierd, but as honest as the summer soltice day is long.

bigmac_in
09-25-2011, 21:24
Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys.Almost makes me want to cry..... :)I'd vouch for you MB, but I'm not sure I want lumped in with that bunch of hiker trash that's supporting you.Just kidding, of course, the MonkeyBoy does good work. I've donated to his crew myself.

sheepdog
09-25-2011, 21:38

I agree with all the above. He gets a lot of kids out enjoying the trails.

Hooch
09-25-2011, 21:43
I agree with all the above. He gets a lot of kids out enjoying the trails.Also a big nod to Moneyboy and his crew. MB is doggone good people and he likes eggs, too. :D

jimtanker
09-26-2011, 11:47
Monkeyboy is the MAN! Well, monkey. OK not a man but a boy. OK a monkey boy, but he's still THE MAN!

Mags
09-28-2011, 23:33
Help out the kids. :) Get another generation interested in the outdoors and loving it. MB donates his free time getting the kids outside. The gear will only help!

flemdawg1
09-29-2011, 14:36

Thanks

Backpacking and Kids are mutually exclusive activites. I get out of the house with friends 2-3 times a year, and my wife and I send the kids off the grands for a weeknd occasionaly. Now that my youngest is 5, we're getting ready to do a 4-day 22 mile Standing Indian Loop in 2 weeks. No need to give up your hobby just because you have a kid, adjust instead.

flemdawg1
09-29-2011, 14:36
are NOT instead of are.

Bear Cables
09-29-2011, 15:19
I will vouch for the Venture Crew. I was crew advisor for a Venture Crew for 4 years. Best group of teenage boy and girls I ever knew!

Skidsteer
09-29-2011, 17:06
I've donated gear to MB's Venture crew and will do so again.

I met him on the trail with his crew on one of their big section hikes. They got it going on.