PDA

View Full Version : Stoves

Old Boots
09-24-2011, 23:02
I am planning on hiking the AT beginning next Feb. I have a Soto Micro Regulator which works very well. However, some of you prefer an alcohol stove. I would appreciate knowing why. Further which brand of alcohol stove would you suggest.

Elder
09-24-2011, 23:21
The Soto is the best of the propane style as it works in a wider temperature range..i.e. cold. Feb. start means cold, maybe snow or even an ice storm. Depending on what you cook, and how. I'd stick with the Soto.
That said, as it warms up and food needs change, the Etowah II is the best of the alcohol stoves (commercial stoves). It simmers well, burns efficiently and will last for the trail. Lots of DIY choices, many fragile, but you can always make another one.

Wise Old Owl
09-24-2011, 23:56
Elder is on top the Soto Micro Regulator is a great stove, its mix fuel is for high altitude and high heat. All that power & light weight is fine for the AT, but Alcohol stoves offer UL weight at 1000 degrees (not as hot) but will boil water for FBC & FDM Dinners. its almost like cutting the weight in half. You are also adding 2x the time to get to boil... but you have time to spare on the trail...

Hope that helps... Woo.

Odd Man Out
09-25-2011, 00:24
Some of the common advantages cited for alcohol stoves:
Fuel is readily available at gas stations, drug stores, hardware stores, liquor stores, etc as grain alcohol, gas line antifreeze, denatured alcohol, etc...
A variety of fuels can be used (methanol and ethanol are best. isopropanol can work, but not as desirable)
Fuel containers weigh and cost next to nothing (empty plastic water bottle, eg).
The stove itself weights and costs next to nothing (if you make your own, such as a Super Cat from a 50 cent can of cat food)
No parts to fail or break. No moving parts. (it's just a can with holes in it).
Silent operation
Fuel is carbon neutral (alcohol is a biofuel)
Fuel is water soluble and biodegradable (spills are not so much a problem).
You can carry as much or as little fuel as you want (instead of whole canisters).
You don't have to carry empty canisters or feel guilty about producing so much waste.

Old Boots
09-25-2011, 12:09
Excellent responses. Thanks
Old Boots

Don Newcomb
09-25-2011, 13:35
If you are interested in the hows and whys of alcohol stoves HERE (http://zenstoves.net/) is the site for you.

Old Boots
09-25-2011, 13:45
You have given me a lot to consider. Thanks

DaveSail
09-25-2011, 15:37
I made two of these . Used .041" drill instead of .062" , ( 1/16" ) and had 24 holes .

Gave one to my brother's son , an Eagle Scout . He says it boils water faster than

his " Old Favorite " Jet Boil !! [ I cut the cans with a thin - carbide - blade on the

table - saw ! If you ever try this , DON'T push the can into the blade !! Rotate it

gently against the blade . Don't stand where the chips might cut you or get in your eyes !! ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w

mountain squid
09-25-2011, 15:51
Check out antigravitygear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/alcohol-stoves.html).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

DaveSail
09-25-2011, 17:39
Check out antigravitygear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/alcohol-stoves.html).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

They sell plastic bottles which could carry alcohol . Two sizes . The stove I posted above has a wick to get it started . [ I know it is
not really needed , that you can light the fuel insde . But , that wastes fuel and you have a torch until it goes out or gets put out . ]
Pouring alcohol from something like a soda - bottle makes a mess and dispenses too much fuel on the wick . The antigravity bottles
have have a dispenser - spout that can deposit a tiny amount on the wick . David V. Webber

Don Newcomb
09-25-2011, 20:04
My brother came up with an interesting combination. He has a forced-air wood burning stove (Markill Wilderness Stove) which he uses for most cooking and a small, light-weight alcohol burner that he drops into the wood stove when he needs to cook in the tent. The advantage is that fuel weight is very low. We can even burn the charcoal that others leave behind in fire rings in camp sites. The stove reduces the fuel to a white ash. We only carry about 8 oz of alcohol to use if the weather is bad. The disadvantage of all wood burning stoves is that they smoke to one degree or another and blacken the pot.

Blissful
09-25-2011, 21:36
Some of the common advantages cited for alcohol stoves:
Fuel is readily available at gas stations, drug stores, hardware stores, liquor stores, etc as grain alcohol, gas line antifreeze, denatured alcohol, etc...
A variety of fuels can be used (methanol and ethanol are best. isopropanol can work, but not as desirable)
Fuel containers weigh and cost next to nothing (empty plastic water bottle, eg).
The stove itself weights and costs next to nothing (if you make your own, such as a Super Cat from a 50 cent can of cat food)
No parts to fail or break. No moving parts. (it's just a can with holes in it).
Silent operation
Fuel is water soluble and biodegradable (spills are not so much a problem).
You can carry as much or as little fuel as you want (instead of whole canisters).
You don't have to carry empty canisters or feel guilty about producing so much waste.

They do not simmer, so if you like food half raw...or just want to boil water and limit your food choices...its your stove. I also think an alcohol leaves an aftertaste in food, esp ramen imo

They make unsightly burned out circles on everything - picnic tables, shelters floors. etc. Surprised a shelter hasn't burned down. I have seen one flame up too. It was not a pretty sight.

I like my pocket rocket or similar...

Don Newcomb
09-26-2011, 00:30
They do not simmer, so if you like food half raw...or just want to boil water and limit your food choices...its your stove. I also think an alcohol leaves an aftertaste in food, esp ramen imo

It depends on the stove. Some will simmer quite well.

Another disadvantage is that fuel alcohol is generally ungodly expensive. Particularly as measured in BTU. I paid for a quart of denatured alcohol the same as what a gallon of Coleman fuel cost.

Chaco Taco
09-26-2011, 06:56

They make unsightly burned out circles on everything - picnic tables, shelters floors. etc. Surprised a shelter hasn't burned down. I have seen one flame up too. It was not a pretty sight.

I like my pocket rocket or similar...

You make a good point here. Alot of people that end up using alcohol stoves dont actually know how to use them. That is one thing I have always liked about the zelph stoves, he has a video about setup and use. Common sense needs to be used more often when dealing with alcohol.

The Etowah does simmer, very well I might add.

The aftertaste is something I have never experienced in my years of using alcohol stoves

As for the pocket rocket, this is one of the best stoves you can really use. Its easy to use, light and cleans really easily. Its also a pretty inexpensive stove as well. I like the way it matches up with the Titan.

Bottom line here, you are going to hear a lot of for and against alcohol stoves. Some are good, some bad. I like the lightweight simplicity of alcohol stoves. I have used a few different kinds, but I always come back to Zelph's, always! I carried a Starlyte for 3 years (2400 miles+) before I retired it. Very inexpensive and everything you need comes in the box, esp the measuring cup!!! This is one of the cooler searches when it comes to gear, have fun with it.

4eyedbuzzard
09-26-2011, 09:32
I'd argue that alcohol, given the typical way that we consume it for hiking stoves, is not really "carbon neutral" when the energy and materials used in production (of biomass), distillation / refining, packaging (most often plastic), and transportation are considered in.

Odd Man Out
09-26-2011, 14:13
I'd argue that alcohol, given the typical way that we consume it for hiking stoves, is not really "carbon neutral" when the energy and materials used in production (of biomass), distillation / refining, packaging (most often plastic), and transportation are considered in.

Probably true. The true carbon footprint would be hard to calculate and variable, depending on what the fuel source is and how it is made. It's probably less than other fuels, since if you are considering packaging, you would have to include the impact of producing the disposable steel canister for propane. In either case, it is a fairly meaningless statistic since I would think that the overall carbon footprint of a backpacker is pretty trivial when compared to most outdoor activities, or compared to your footprint if you are at home instead of hiking.

The OP just wanted to know why people liked alcohol stoves, which I tried to provide.

4eyedbuzzard
09-28-2011, 08:29
...In either case, it is a fairly meaningless statistic since I would think that the overall carbon footprint of a backpacker is pretty trivial when compared to most outdoor activities, or compared to your footprint if you are at home instead of hiking.
The OP just wanted to know why people liked alcohol stoves, which I tried to provide.Yeah, wasn't trying to be rude, just that too many people are starting to believe that true "carbon neutrality" exists where it doesn't. I just try to keep them thinking.

Odd Man Out
09-28-2011, 11:17
Yeah, wasn't trying to be rude, just that too many people are starting to believe that true "carbon neutrality" exists where it doesn't. I just try to keep them thinking.

None taken. Thinking is good!