PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry to DWG or v/v

Retriever
09-25-2011, 12:00
Planning to section hike HF to DWG mid Oct. Appreciate suggestions on whether to go north or south. Can start either end. Thanks, Retriever

attroll
10-03-2011, 02:20
I think it is really personal preference. Hiking in either direction does not seem to make a difference as far as ups and downs.

Bags4266
10-03-2011, 12:37
well starting at hf the trail is pretty darn easy giving you a chance to get your legs.

Strategic
10-04-2011, 10:35
I'll second that suggestion, having sectioned most of this myself. The southern portion from Harper's Ferry to Duncannon is relatively easy and will give you a good warm-up for what's probably the most difficult section of trail south of the Whites.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that the northern half of PA isn't wonderful hiking: it is. But this is the section that gives PA the reputation as being the place that boots go to die. It's rocky in ways that are like nowhere else, due to a particular set of geological conditions and glaciation that broke up the rock of the ridges into incredibly sharp and tumbled chunks and fragments. Until you get used to the "Pennsylvania rock dance" it can be very wearing to hike this kind of terrain. It's hard to get a good rhythm going and the constant changes of pace can tire you far more than steeper and more classically challenging terrain often does.

Fortunately, southern PA gives you a warm-up for the rocks too. You'll start getting them as soon as you cross the Susquehanna, but they build up in intensity gradually until you're north of Swatara Gap. From there on, you're in the full monty all the way to Wolf Rocks, just short of DWG. Of course, this rocky section also has some of the most beautiful views and fantastic formations PA has to offer, so the difficulty and boot-loss is well worth it.

To give you an idea of just what I mean, here are three of the shots I took on my hikes north of Swatara:

Strategic
10-04-2011, 10:41
By the way, Retriever, if you need any help getting on or off the trail (especially if you're flying in or out of Philadelphia) I'll be glad to help if I'm not working. Just reply here or PM me if you do.