PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on section hike in May

grrickar
02-24-2005, 10:54
I am looking to hike about a 70 miles section of the trail that I have not done yet, and I was considering one of the following:

Hot Springs,NC - Nolichucky River (nobo)

or

Dennis Cove - Nolichucky River (sobo)

Best I can tell each section is about 70 miles. Anyone have any advice on which is the most scenic? What about elevation; which do you consider more difficult, which has better opportunities for resupply?

A-Train
02-24-2005, 12:06
both are great sections.

Most folks would say Erwin/Nolichucky River to Dennis Cove is more scenice. I'd probably agree. You get Beauty Spot, Unaka Mtn, Roan Mtn, Overmountain barn and Yellow Mtn valley, the Humps, some extremely diverse scenary in the re-lo north of 19E and then are packaged between two of the best hostels on the trail (Miss Janet and Kincorra).

Though, I tend to really enjoy Hot Springs to Erwin too. Not as scenic, though you get Rich Mtn firetower, White Rock Cliffs and Big Bald. The descent into Erwin is pretty scenic too. This section is probably more gentle than its northern neighbor. Big Bald is 5500 feet elev. but you spend about 7-8 miles slowly and gradually ascending it and it was NOT a tough climb. On the flip side, even with 4 weeks of conditioning, Roan Mtn was a killer and there were other smaller ups and downs in that section that were tiring. The last day before Dennis Cove is filled with lots of little ups and downs that will have you more tired than you thought you'd be.

In short, you can't go wrong. Most folks will say the northern section though.

chris
02-24-2005, 13:26
Both would be awesome in the spring time when the mountain laurel and flame azalea are out. I would definitely lean toward Denis Cove to Erwin. The Overmountain/Roan Range area is the most scenic stretch on the AT that I've hiked and is one of my favorite places. Unaka and Beauty Spot are nice as well.

The Hot Springs to Erwin section is pleasant, but does not have nearly the attractions of the other one. I may be a little biased against it, though, because I got my first (and only, so far) case of shin splints in this section. Plus, I had really cold (for May) weather and a lot of mist.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2005, 13:33
Dennis Cove to the Nolichucky for sure.

Footslogger
02-24-2005, 13:41
Yeah ...of the two options the Dennis Cove to Irwin wins out. I would like to be doing that section again this year but have committed myself to a Dennis Cove (Kincora) to Damascus hike with my wife. She was injured in that section on her hike in 2001 and wants to get those miles under her belt and it also gives us the opportunity to hang out at Trail Days.

'Slogger
AT 2003

grrickar
04-26-2005, 14:30
Well the hike is on for Dennis Cove to Erwin, but the maps are not yet out from the printer and there are supposed to be trail locations along this section. Best we can tell this will be just a shave over 70 miles. Anyone hiked this recently and have any suggestions for campsites, water sources and info on trail relocations? The maps we have seem to be out of date, and the ATC has not yet received the updated ones. We are going SOBO this trip.