PDA

View Full Version : Stay warm in this layering system?

fireneck
09-25-2011, 17:24
I have a pair of Cap 1s. They are pretty old.

Do you think they would work with a cheapo trail shirt, North Face micro fleece (very light weight) and Mountain Hardwear Lado insulated jacket and rain jacket (when needed). For hiking in GA/NC/TN in Early March.

How much more warm are the Cap 2/Cap 3s, compared to the Cap 1s?

10-K
09-25-2011, 17:38
I have a pair of Cap 1s. They are pretty old.

Do you think they would work with a cheapo trail shirt, North Face micro fleece (very light weight) and Mountain Hardwear Lado insulated jacket and rain jacket (when needed). For hiking in GA/NC/TN in Early March.

How much more warm are the Cap 2/Cap 3s, compared to the Cap 1s?

You wouldn't die, but you could probably do it a little smarter (not saying you're not smart... ).

For starters, you're probably not going to get cold when you're hiking during the day. Even in the coldest weather I'm usually wearing nothing heavier than a long sleeve merino wool shirt.

So, what matters is precipitation and for that in the winter time I have real rain gear - not Frogg Toggs or plastic poncho - but something a bit higher quality like a Marmot Precip or similar.

At night, I add an short sleeve merino wool shirt over the long sleeve one I hiked in and I have a Land's End down jacket that I wear over that. Combined with a wool cap and a good pair of mittens and I do just fine until I'm snug in my bag.

The big thing is to stay dry, which includes not sweating as much as possible. I also have an extra long sleeve merino wool shirt in my clothes bag. My rain jacket doubles as my wind jacket (careful with this one.. it can backfire).

And... remember: Merino wool is your friend. :)

Stir Fry
09-25-2011, 20:20
Merino wool is the bomb, I discovered it last fall and have sence replaced most of my base layer with it. I use long sleeve Merino shirt, Mont Bell puff ball light jacket, and Marmot Precip on top. Merino bottoms. I have experimented at home and been good into the teens.