PDA

View Full Version : PA Ruck 2012

StarLyte
09-25-2011, 20:30
Hello Rucksters and new friends.....We are pleased to announce that we are reserved at Bears Den Hostel for the 2012 Ruck !

Scott & Marie Wheaton, caretakers of the Hostel, welcome us and have announced these great rates for attendees:

$15 per day, per person and $5.00 day usage fee: $40 for the entire weekend
$10 camping for you cold country folks

You must make your reservation with the hostel itself:
Bears Den Trail Center (www.bearsdencenter.org)
18393 Blue Ridge Mountain Rd.
Bluemont, VA. 20135
(540)554-8708

The PA Ruck welcomes you, especially if you are a potential thru-hiker. You are the reason why have a Ruck. Please consider yourself welcome, and give us a shout with your questions.

We will update this thread as needed and will soon post information on presentations, speeches, gear, and of course the main thing....meal planning :)

StarLyte

perrito
09-25-2011, 22:18
Are the dates set?

StarLyte
09-26-2011, 06:56
January 27-29th 2012

Always the last weekend of January.

Thank you :)

Jeff
09-26-2011, 08:53
Looking forward to attending. How much snow have you ordered ???!!!

Newb
09-26-2011, 10:53
Finally, A PA Ruck I can make it to... I live in Northern Virginia.

Sly
09-26-2011, 11:52
It seems as though you've found a new home. Will it stay the PA Ruck or change to the VA Ruck?

PS It's a little early but I'll sticky the thread to make it the "official" Ruck thread...

One
09-26-2011, 18:46
Reservations Made! :)
See you in January

StarLyte
09-26-2011, 20:44
It's a hard decision on the name...think I'll leave that up to Jim. If it wasn't for him and Earl....

It's so very different than the SoRuck.

Thanks for all you do friend. Sure do miss you--my bad.

StarLyte
09-26-2011, 20:46
The snow isn't usually as heavy as it was last year. They had to plow the access road before any of us could get it. It was so very beautiful with all that snow !

Sly
09-26-2011, 21:01
It's so very different than the SoRuck.

There are some differences, but bottomline, it's still a bunch of hikers having a good time.

Have you decided to come to the Gathering?

camojack
09-27-2011, 01:27
It seems as though you've found a new home. Will it stay the PA Ruck or change to the VA Ruck?

PS It's a little early but I'll sticky the thread to make it the "official" Ruck thread...
I still say that it should be called the PATC Ruck in that locale... :rolleyes:

camojack
09-27-2011, 01:30

Mike2012
12-04-2011, 17:03
What is a Ruck?
:banana - my first banana

Sly
12-04-2011, 17:29

That would be a good compromise.

Sly
12-04-2011, 17:34
What is a Ruck?

Perhaps this will help...

...it's a hiker thing.

Blissful
12-21-2011, 21:21
I'll be there - coming in Friday, have to leave late Sat night but looking forward to seeing everyone -

StarLyte
01-07-2012, 09:24
Hello friends,

We are updating everything for the PA Ruck site, Facebook, Google spreadsheet page, and emails to attendees.

We do not have a DVD projector this year, nor a projection screen. If you are hosting, please let me know.

Thanks!
StarLyte

StarLyte
01-08-2012, 08:17
Hello everyone - I am posting this message again for your viewing.....

The PA Ruck will be held at the beautiful Bears Den Hostel again from Friday Jan. 27 thru Sunday Jan. 29th.

Last year the caretakers (Red Wing & Hopeful AT04), and the PATC invited us to return and we are all very excited.

I try not to send too much stuff out on the Internet as to not interfere with the Southern Ruck, but am finding it is necessary to get busy.

One of our favorite people will not be attending this year, and he has always faithfully brought the DVD projector, computer, and his awesome DVDs/slideshows.

We do not have any platforms/events/vendor participation yet either, and wondering if someone from this list will be attending ? Please email me with any information. SO FAR we have 2 potential thru-hikers attending this year and it sure would be nice to stimulate their minds. We need some good thru-hiker bull sessions as well :)))

As well as posting here, Facebook and Whiteblaze, we have a Google spreadsheet set up for your participation with meals and info.

CLICK HERE (http://tinyurl.com/7p7smpz)
or: http://tinyurl.com/7p7smpz
to open the Google Spreadsheet for Ruck participation postings
You will need to sign in:

[email protected]
password is TRAILWORK
CLICK ON BEARS DEN RUCK 2012
and you will need to click on the upper right hand side: SIGN IN (again, but not any passwords)

Feel free to post away what you're bringing, and IT AUTOMATICALLY SAVES IT.

Thanks !
Marsha
StarLyte

Blissful
01-09-2012, 20:21
I got it to work! If you use google, you must FIRST sign out of your account and sign with the account listed above!

I have hiked the trail both north and south and will be there Friday and Saturday to help any and all hikers with $$, sessions, etc. Will bring my laptop but hoping someone has a projector so I can show a NOBO vs SOBO presentation. I can also do a women's only session also.

camojack
01-10-2012, 02:31
I'm planning to attend. :eek:

kribit
01-10-2012, 11:20
I've signed up to bring things. I'm a potential thru-hiker though so I have no presentations. :)

Panzer1
01-10-2012, 19:44
If it isn't held in PA, its not the "PA Ruck"

Panzer :confused:

camojack
01-11-2012, 02:31
If it isn't held in PA, its not the "PA Ruck"

Panzer :confused:
Maybe there'll be some Public Affection displayed there.

I am guessing that there will be... ;)
(It's a somewhat educated guess)

Blissful
01-11-2012, 20:16
They still call it PA but it should probably jsut be the northern Ruck now. Or Mid Atlantic Ruck.

Blissful
01-11-2012, 20:17
I've signed up to bring things. I'm a potential thru-hiker though so I have no presentations. :)

Great place to be then! May want to bring your stuff so we can go through it and discuss gear options, etc.

kribit
01-12-2012, 15:41
Great place to be then! May want to bring your stuff so we can go through it and discuss gear options, etc.

Thanks, I plan on it!

Blissful
01-19-2012, 15:14
Hey, need more rucksters and more to fill out the sign up sheets with goodies!!! See above on how to access them.

StarLyte
01-20-2012, 08:21
Hey guys,
We changed the name last year....where ya been?

The Ruck

After all, it is the "mother" Ruck.

StarLyte
01-20-2012, 08:22
Hello Friends,

We are need of just about everything for the Ruck:

Friday night Pasta dinner:

Meatballs, sausages, pasta, sauce,
Cheese
Salad
Bread
Dessert

Saturday Lunch Benefit
Soups & Chili
Luncheon Trays
Desserts

Saturday Night RuckFeast dishes

Coffee, Creamer, Sugar, other beverages

Supplies: Paper towels, napkins, paper plates, utensils, garbage bags

Remember: The hostel does not provide anything for us, we must bring everything we're using.

Crock pots are limited so if you're bringing a hot dish, please supply the crock pot.

We have several folks offering to clean up already so that slot is full – thank you !

Folks usually email me late in the week to ask what to bring. Please read the above :)

restless
01-20-2012, 09:41
Hey guys,
We changed the name last year....where ya been?

The Ruck

After all, it is the "mother" Ruck.

Then...does that make us "mother" Ruckers?

camojack
01-21-2012, 02:02
Then...does that make us "mother" Ruckers?
Nothing gets by this one... ;)

Lauriep
01-21-2012, 12:40
On Friday night, I'm bringing baked ziti and broccoli salad (just added to the spreadsheet).

I can also bring ATC's projector, if one is still needed. Yes? Both nights?

- Laurie P.

sheepdog
01-21-2012, 17:40
They still call it PA but it should probably jsut be the northern Ruck now. Or Mid Atlantic Ruck.

The Noruck?

If it weren't for bad ruck I'd have no ruck at all.

Lauriep
01-23-2012, 14:53
Pop Tart (from ATC) will be doing a presentation on Leave No Trace, and I'll be doing a presentation on volunteering on the A.T.

Laurie P.
ATC

Blissful
01-23-2012, 21:52
On Friday night, I'm bringing baked ziti and broccoli salad (just added to the spreadsheet).

I can also bring ATC's projector, if one is still needed. Yes? Both nights?

- Laurie P.

I may need to bring my hubby's for the women's presentation Friday if Warren needs to use yours. (?)

HeartFire
01-23-2012, 22:32
I'm bringing my projector. I dont have speakers though.