PDA

View Full Version : New Tent question

OBXWaMi
09-25-2011, 21:02
It has been 15 years since I last went camping. Prior to that I camped with Girl Scouts (several one man pup-tents) then with my husband (3 person dome), and eventually my children (6 person cabin). We camped from the trunk of the car at local campgrounds, so if the weather turned we could pack up and leave--even in the middle of the night. Our last excursion was a disaster. An unexpected storm popped up late in the night and we were too far from home. The tent didn't have a bathtub bottom and it leaked like a seive at every seam. The only reason the kids stayed dry was because they were sleeping on daycare cots. I ended up throwing a temper fit and then the tent went in the dumpster at the campground as we left. Hubby vowed he would never camp with me again, and he's been true to his word. After thinking about it recently I realized that every tent I've ever owned leaked.

Now for the question... Are tents now days ready to use right out of the box? Is the reason I was so disappointed in all the tents I've owned is because I didn't prepare them before using them? Will the new tent I just ordered need to have anything done to it before I use it? If so, what??

I just ordered a Eureka Apex 2XT from Campmor. It seemed to be everything I was looking for and the price was better than I was hoping for. Any opinion of it will be appreciated as well.

--Michelle

STICK
09-25-2011, 21:13
The tent you ordered will be ready to use, right out of the box. Just practice setting it up a few times before you take it out.

Pretty much all of the tents that are bought retail from big box stores are ready to use right out of the box. However, some smaller manufacturers build shelters that require seam sealing either by you, or they may offer to do it for a small fee.

Also, even though they are ready to use, it never hurts to set it up in the yard and spray a water hose over it good just to make sure...

Good luck with your new tent!

Wil
09-25-2011, 21:17
Are tents now days ready to use right out of the box? ... I just ordered a Eureka Apex 2XT from Campmor ... Any opinion of it will be appreciated as well.Even tents that are tape-sealed (most are not) need sealing. This Eureka in particular has leakage problems along zippers. It's much too heavy a tent for one person by today's standards and too small to be really useful for two. It's an old design. I'd try to cancel the order and do some reading.

Blissful
09-25-2011, 21:28
Well if you want it for car camping. I've had Eureka (not this model) and it was a decent family tent for a few years. The reviews on backcountry.com for this tent seemed favorable.

Franco
09-25-2011, 22:17
Pretty much all of the tents that are bought retail from big box stores are ready to use right out of the box. However, some smaller manufacturers build shelters that require seam sealing either by you, or they may offer to do it for a small fee.

Not exactly..
Specifically this is from the Eureka web site :
Seam Sealing

We recommend use of a sealer such as Kenyon Seam Sealer 3 or McNett Outdoor SeamGrip. Be sure to check directions on the side of container for specifics before beginning the seam sealing process.

Seam sealing should be done in a fully ventilated area. Set the tent up or lay the tent out flat. Taut seams allow for even application and penetration of the sealer.

Decide which seams need to be sealed. For example, seams that will be exposed to rain, runoff, or ground level water are a must for sealing, while seams on uncoated nylon or mesh panels won't need treatment. You won't need to seal the seams in the roof or the factory taped seams either. We recommend sealing both floor & fly seams and reinforcements.

Apply sealant to the inside and outside of all exposed seams. Draw or brush the sealant along the seam, spreading it evenly and liberally into all of the needle holes. Several thin layers will work better than one thick layer. Allow 30 minutes to 1 hour for the sealant to completely dry before storing the tent. Twelve hours for SeamGrip®.

http://www.eurekatent.com/detail.aspx?id=47

however if you look under the FAQ of several other main tent brands you will find similar suggestions..
Usually that has to do with "maintenance" however brands like Bibler/Black Diamond/MacPac and others that have used non PU coated silnylon,Epic and in some cases PTFE (Gore-tex/ToddTex...) also require seam sealing right from the start.
Franco

paistes5
09-25-2011, 23:09
I have this exact tent and have had no issues. Last trip it rained for 24 hours straight and zero leaks. Nothing along the zippers and no water in the tent at all. I've use it a number of times for two people and it is more than big enough. A little heavy for backpacking but I've use it that way too. Great tent for the price.

OBXWaMi
09-26-2011, 09:15
Thank you to everyone for all the great info. I think that to be on the safe side I will seal it. Better safe than sorry. As for the weight issues several have mentioned, I will be using it when I hike with my daughter and we will share the load when it comes to shared gear.

--Michelle

T.S.Kobzol
09-26-2011, 10:30
If you choose your camping location along with a good weather report then it is fun to do the seamsealing right out there in the field.

I do maintenance on items often when camping. There is less distractions. This last weekend we kayak camped. I brought two tents. One got seam sealed while we slept in the other.

sly dog
09-26-2011, 12:07
My eureka Zeus 2le came with a tube of seam seal in the box.

Trailweaver
09-26-2011, 15:02
I only had a tent leak once (an old tent, and it was during a monsoon rain!). I used to seam seal everything when I got it, but haven't done it lately and have had no problems. I think tents have just come a long, long way in the years I've been using them.

Saying that, I don't think it ever "hurts" to seam seal. If you just really want insurance on that, seal it in your back yard, then test it with a hose, and make adjustments as necessary.

wwbriggs
09-26-2011, 15:07
I have the same tent and the seams came sealed. Look at the seams and you can definitely tell. Great little tent and I am very happy with it. Good for camping or backpacking if you share the load with your husband. Eureka makes a decent tent with good feature/$$ value ratio.

skinewmexico
09-26-2011, 18:15
Following the manufacturers directions is never a bad idea.

Toolshed
09-26-2011, 19:14
Long time Eureka advocate here and I used to sell them years ago. All nylon/poly tents from the major manufacturers come hot tape sealed. Fly and major floor seams. The Apex is no exception. I have had 2 over the years, as well as many other Eureka models, and it is a great tent with many nice features for the low price.
If you feel you have to seam seal the tent, you cannot do it from the inside due to the hot tape seal that is already in place. You would have to seam seal it from the outside (Much like beating a dead horse, it doesn't get any deader and your tent won't get any more waterproof) and that may not make your new tent as aesthetically pleasing to the eye...

If you still feel the need to seal, set the tent up outside and seal the circumference stitching on the reinforcement patches around the tent pole anchor points inside your tent (along the curve of the bathtub floor, where it meets the wall.) and by the way, I believe Seam Grip (IMMHO) is much better and more durable than Kenyon waterproofing.Just make sure you let it dry and then sprinkle a dusting of talcum powder on the sealed areas so that the tent doesn't stick to itself when it is all packed up.

STICK
09-26-2011, 19:46
Good points Toolshed. Also, be sure that if you buy some of the seam sealer in a tube, get the McNetts Seam Grip (http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam-Sealer-Outdoor-Repair-P133.aspx) which works for the materials that tent is made of. SilNet works on silnylon products.

When I bought my first tent I almost got this tent but instead went with the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 tent (http://sticksblog.com/gear/my-current-gear/shelter/kelty-grand-mesa-2/). Don't get me wrong, it is not the best tent in the world, but for what I paid for it, and from what it taught me I have been very happy with it. I of course use different (lighter) tents now, but I still have the GM2 and don't think I will ever get rid of it. Point being, I think that you will be happy in the same way with your tent. A friend of mine uses that Eureka! tent and he had good things to say about it, other than the weight...

Wil
09-26-2011, 20:32
Following the manufacturers directions is never a bad idea.Eureka says you can skip sealing those seams that are already taped. My own feeling is that, since you're already doing the zippers and other untaped seams, why not do the outside of the taped seams as well?