PDA

View Full Version : Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana

Silver Bear
09-25-2011, 22:18
I will start this hike on 10/19. What resupply points are there. thanks in advance.

Shooting Star
09-25-2011, 22:38
Hike to Winding Stair Gap and pre-arrange a shuttle into Franklin NC for resupply
(about 40 miles from DCG). Ron Haven runs some motels in Franklin and provides
shuttle service. Next stop is the Nantahala Outdoor Center (another 27 miles from
WSG). NOC has an outfitter. And that leaves you about 30 miles away from
Fontana Dam. Highlights along the way are Standing Indian, Albert Mtn, Siler Bald,
Wayah Bald and Wesser Bald. All in all, a great section of trail.

jeramie75
09-26-2011, 00:01
Should be a great hike this time of year. 3-4 days from Dicks to Winding Stair, shuttle or easy hitch into Franklin. 2 longer days;Winding Stair to Cold shelter, cold spring to NOC. They hold packages if you wanted to go that route. The hike out of the NOC is a beast for 8 miles. I hiked out of Dicks Creek Gap 2 weeks ago and water sources were low at best. Bly gap was only a trickle. Piped spring north of Bly gap was dry. Muskrat shelter water was low but ok. I would guess that many of the other sources in this section are low as well. Have fun.

Kerosene
09-26-2011, 07:07
Don't count on NOC for food re-supply this time of year. I'd mail a box to the outfitter at least a week ahead of time (it took 5 days for mine to arrive from Minnesota; 1 day too long!).

daddytwosticks
09-26-2011, 07:15
The water suppy at Plumborchard Gap Shelter was flowing great. Spent Saturday night there with three other section hikers. Reports were that the water source at Bly Gap was out. Have a great hike. :)