PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to hike from McAfee Knob to Dragons tooth...

montag451
09-26-2011, 09:01
So here's the deal. I'm looking to take a couple people hiking in a couple of weeks, and we're looking to go to McAfee Knob to perhaps dragonstooth. We only have 2 days (one night) to do it.

So here's my question. I've been to McAfee a few years ago, but we just did a quick there and back type of hike. If we started at the McAfee Knob parking lot and hiked past the knob, would we reach Dragonstooth if we keep going?

Also, is there a parking lot after Dragonstooth that we could drop off a car so we can go back to the McAfee knob parking lot and pick up out car?

Kerosene
09-26-2011, 09:28
From the Catawba parking lot it is about 10 miles southbound to Dragon's Tooth, versus maybe 3 miles north to McAfee Knob. You could park at the Catawba lot, hike north to McAfee Knob to take it all in, and then turn around and stay at the first shelter you passed. That would leave you about 11 miles to get to Dragon's Tooth the next day, plus another 2(?) miles to get to the Dragon's Tooth parking lot on a side trail from Lost Spectacles Gap.
The AT traverses the PUDS of the dry Sawtooth Ridge which can get a bit trying after awhile, and then of course you have all of the steps up to Dragon's Tooth itself. I don't recall any obvious tent sites between Catawba and Dragon's Tooth. There was one creek perhaps 4 miles north of Dragon's Tooth that drained, just south of a pasture that you'll walk across.
Hope you get some good weather for this hike!

montag451
09-26-2011, 11:07
Is there a parking lot north of McAfee that we could park at? Then we could hike south from the knob, pass the Catawba parking lot and get some of the 10 miles to Dragonstooth done before we setup camp on day one.

Hikerhead
09-26-2011, 13:04
The Andy Layne trail parking lot is about 7 1/2 miles past McAfee's Knob. You turn left at Scorched Earth Gap after Tinker Cliffs and it's 2 1/2 miles to the parking lot from there. There's the Campbell Shelter on the north side of McAfee's Knob and also the Pig Farm campsite just before it.

montag451
09-26-2011, 13:30
So you think it would be better to do Tinker Cliffs to McAfee knob?

If I'm reading this right, I can park at Catawba Rd (779) and hike up to Tinker Cliffs. From there we can start toward McAfee Knob and sleep somewhere in between. Then continue on to McAfee knob in the morning and pick up our other car at the McAfee Knob trailhead on Catawba Valley Dr (311).

Is that about right?

Blissful
09-26-2011, 15:46
So you think it would be better to do Tinker Cliffs to McAfee knob?

If I'm reading this right, I can park at Catawba Rd (779) and hike up to Tinker Cliffs. From there we can start toward McAfee Knob and sleep somewhere in between. Then continue on to McAfee knob in the morning and pick up our other car at the McAfee Knob trailhead on Catawba Valley Dr (311).

Is that about right?

Or just hike from Catawba to Daleville and park a second car at the Kroger. Or you can get a shuttle from the outfitter (if they still do it) Great trip, but only do it in good weather for the views.

Kerosene
09-26-2011, 16:37
I would do Catawba to Daleville. Lamberts Meadow Shelter is about halfway through this 20-mile section. If you're tenting there is a nice place just north of the shelter along a creek.

johnnybgood
09-26-2011, 16:50
Kerosene , can this above mentioned hike be milked for a 3 day hike ?
Also ,where is the trailhead parking at VA.620 Trout Creek if the OP wanted to include Dragons Tooth in his hike ?

Kerosene
09-26-2011, 23:24
Kerosene , can this above mentioned hike be milked for a 3 day hike ?
Sure. You could park at Catawba, mosey on up to Catawba Mtn. Shelter about 3 miles up, or perhaps Cambell Shelter less than a mile north of McAfee Knob if you have a nice evening or want to get up early to catch the sunrise the next morning. I'd ask Hikerhead where to camp between Lamberts Meadow and Daleville. If you camped at Catawba Shelter the first night then Lamberts would be about 7 miles, leaving you 10 miles for your third day.

Also ,where is the trailhead parking at VA.620 Trout Creek if the OP wanted to include Dragons Tooth in his hike ?
I don't recall a parking area there, but I passed through quickly on my way to Craig Creek Valley where I ended my 2003 section hike. Again, Hikerhead would be able to give accurate insight.