PDA

View Full Version : doing a flip

birdygal
09-26-2011, 19:35
What would be a good time to start if I wanted to start in the middle going north and then flip south.

4eyedbuzzard
09-26-2011, 20:20
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

Spirit Walker
09-26-2011, 21:17
It depends partly on what you're after. If you want to be part of the pack of hikers, then start in May or June. If you want to avoid the pack, then start earlier. Weatherwise - spring in the mid-Atlantic starts in early April. You can usually climb Katahdin by mid-June, so aim to reach there after that.

Blissful
09-28-2011, 08:03
Most start early or mid May at HF to head to ME then flip, ending by early Nov at Springer. Great way to go.

Sugarfoot
09-30-2011, 10:20
I'm planning to flip in Harpers Ferry in 2013 and will be starting about May 1st. The wildflowers are beautiful in May but it can be quite chilly in the mountains. June in Virginia can have occasional hot spells (it sure did this year), but is usually pleasant. July and August are very pleasant in northern New England. The black flies are on the wane in July. And by the time you get into the mid-Atlantic states, the temperatures will be pleasant. I've used the word "pleasant" several times unintentionally, but that's what I like about doing a flip-flop. No extremes of temperature. There will be late season thru-hikers still in early May and the peak of SOBOs once you flip. I've chosen Harpers Ferry for my flip because I've spent a lot of time there volunteering with ATC and it feels like a second home, so ending there won't be anti-climatic. Plus the public transportation there is great, with both MARC and AmTrak going into D.C.