PDA

View Full Version : Are convertible pants necessary?

MommaDuck
09-26-2011, 21:03
I'm heading NOBO March 23 and am figuring out clothing. I have Smartwool tights, running shorts, a hiking skort and my Marmot rain pants. If I layer my tights under my shorts/skirt is it really necessary to bring convertible pants? I plan to sleep in my shorts and if it's really cold I could always wear my tights under my rain pants. Those are my thoughts at the moment.
Any suggestions, comments welcome.

aaronthebugbuffet
09-26-2011, 21:10
I think you have enough without the pants.

Tipi Walter
09-26-2011, 21:10
Pants are way overrated. Depending on the thickness of your Smartwool "tights", you will probably be wearing the shorts/tights combo most of the time, that is: Shorts over the tights. I have a pair of Smartwool merino long john bottoms which are very thin and are used for the three seasons, or summer. I go with a heavier weight Icebreaker bottoms for winter---they are sitting ready for my next trip. You really only need three items for the bottom layer, maybe four:

** Decent comfortable non-cotton underwear---I use a pair of silk briefs from Wintersilks. Some backpackers use no underwear at all, but I take two pair and like the option of washing one out in a creek and hanging it on my pack while wearing the dry pair.

** Shorts---light weight, no belt or plastic fastex buckle---drawstring swim trunk style with pockets and elastic waistband.

** Merino or capilene or polypro long john bottoms---midweight to heavyweight.

** Rain pants over the long johns when conditions turn nasty, cold and windy---and in camp.

** Down pants when things get real tough, like January blizzards at 0F---in camp use only.

Slo-go'en
09-26-2011, 22:06
I rarely hike in shorts for a number of reasons - its got to be really wicked hot for me to change to shorts. The only reason I use converta pants is because thier made of nylon and so dry quickly when they do get wet. And on the occasion I do want shorts I can make them so.

Reasons for wearing pants - keeps the legs clean, keeps the bugs off (like chiggers), protects the legs from brush and hides my knoby knees from view.

Wobegon
09-26-2011, 23:11
I started with them... ended up sending the convertible bottoms home, and then just got rid of them. If you're like most thru-hikers, you'll be hiking in just running shorts by the end.

dillard
09-27-2011, 00:14
My recent hiking partner began with a skort and convertible pants... within a week the skort went home and she continued on the with convertibles instead. Her logic was a skort is basically shorts anyway which the convertibles can become and if you do need a bit more coverage for cool weather you have pants. The zip on legs take up hardly any space and weight very little for the utility of them.

daddytwosticks
09-27-2011, 07:26
I use convertable pants with non-cotton underware in the cooler season. When it warms up, I wear hiking shorts w/a built-in liner because I sweat so much. It they made convertable pants w/a built in liner, I'd probably go with them year-round. :)

Lone Wolf
09-27-2011, 08:15
If I layer my tights under my shorts/skirt is it really necessary to bring convertible pants? no pants necessary. they're way overpriced too

Spokes
09-27-2011, 08:18
As Winton Porter says: "You want to ask yourself, What does each piece of clothing do for me? Does it insulate? Does it stop wind? Does it stop rain?" he says. "Nylon zip-off pants don't do any of those three. If you wear a pair of nylon running shorts over lightweight long underwear, now you have pants that weigh 3.5 ounces instead of two to four times as much."

-source: Pack Man-The Appalachian Trail Guru
Backpacker Magazine November 2008

Google the source info to read the entire article online......

max patch
09-27-2011, 09:26
Convertible pants are just as important to have as candle lanterns and a Spot GPS.

BobTheBuilder
09-27-2011, 09:37
They do! They sell them for $20 as fishing pants at Academy Sports. I think Magellan makes them.

4eyedbuzzard
09-27-2011, 09:54
The biggest downside/problem I see with them is that they do neither thing really well. As shorts, the leg holes aren't cut as full and the zippers (even with the trim fabric) tend to rub the tops of the thighs. When worn as long pants, they also seem to fit just a bit odd, again with the zipper seam causing them to lay kind of funny. I've tried them from REI, Mountain Hardwear, Bean, etc and none really feel like either good shorts - or pants. There is also the zipper issue. Zippers are a failure point- dirt, mud, the coils/ teeth can get messed up by rocks (I did this on "The Rocks" in PA north of Wind Gap - snagged a zipper). As almost all my hiking is in the Northeast, I carry a pair of lightweight long pants most of the time now for evenings, cold days, and bugs. Takes very little time to change vs messing with leg zippers.

tiptoe
09-27-2011, 10:06
I like my convertible pants. The shorts have lots of pockets, they are durable, and in pants mode, they do block wind and hold in the heat. I like being able to convert from shorts to pants and vice versa without removing my boots. For section hiking in moderate to hot weather, I've found them useful. Like so many things, it comes down to personal preference, I think.

garlic08
09-27-2011, 10:17
I rarely hike in shorts for a number of reasons - its got to be really wicked hot for me to change to shorts. The only reason I use converta pants is because thier made of nylon and so dry quickly when they do get wet. And on the occasion I do want shorts I can make them so.

Reasons for wearing pants - keeps the legs clean, keeps the bugs off (like chiggers), protects the legs from brush and hides my knoby knees from view.

Ditto this, especially the part about knobby knees. Sun protection, too. One reason to buy convertibles is they're so popular and go on sale so often, they're often cheaper than regular trousers. And like wearing gaiters and a kerchief around your neck, they make you look like a "real hiker". Good point above about the zipper abrading the thigh--make sure yours are comfortable before your long hike. I can count on one hand the times I've removed the legs from mine, and most of those involved bicycling to the trailhead.

-SEEKER-
09-27-2011, 10:20
I like my convertible pants. The shorts have lots of pockets, they are durable, and in pants mode, they do block wind and hold in the heat. I like being able to convert from shorts to pants and vice versa without removing my boots. For section hiking in moderate to hot weather, I've found them useful. Like so many things, it comes down to personal preference, I think.

The key word for me is POCKETS. This year most of the hikers I saw had on either "running" shorts or "basketball" shorts. NO POCKETS! Where do they keep important things or things they may need to access in a hurry?

Ewker
09-27-2011, 10:20
They do! They sell them for $20 as fishing pants at Academy Sports. I think Magellan makes them.

check out a Goodwill and you can find them for $ 5.00

Fog Horn
09-27-2011, 10:24
I hike in a skort and level one capilene long johns. I have found that it keeps me plenty warm, and works much better for me than pants. Granted I'm biased because I cannot find a pair of pants/ shorts that fit me properly. They're either much too big on the waist but fit the rest of me, or they are a few inches too short on the inseam.

Either way, dress up in your skort and your tights and take a quick 6-10 mile jaunt in crappy weather and find out what works for you :)

Fog Horn
09-27-2011, 10:27
The key word for me is POCKETS. This year most of the hikers I saw had on either "running" shorts or "basketball" shorts. NO POCKETS! Where do they keep important things or things they may need to access in a hurry?

I have my hip belt pockets, which I use, and also my pack's side pockets.

Sly
09-27-2011, 11:05
I'd can get rid of the tights, skort and rain pants and only use the convertible pants (and light running shorts for bed, laundry etc.).

yappy
09-27-2011, 11:19
I'm w sly I have used mine 4 a lot of trails and wouldn't trade them in the pockets r fantastic...no way wld I give them up amd thy provide some warmth wind protectn anmd cool in the summr.....I luv them

max patch
09-27-2011, 11:20

Not my intention to be argumentative, so I hope this doesn't come across that way, but what does a hiker need to access in a hurry?

I hiked in patagonia shorts that had 2 side pockets and a back pocket and never kept anything in any of the pockets when hiking.

yappy
09-27-2011, 11:29
For us oldsters ..u know who u r haha ..I like having my glasses lip balm map or guide and snacks .and use 4 garbage sun screen etc my pockets r often used ..I do mark left and right so I can put on in a hurry if have to

Spokes
09-27-2011, 11:32
Convertible pants are just as important to have as candle lanterns and a Spot GPS.

Voted "Best Comment" so far.

Ewker
09-27-2011, 11:33
Voted "Best Comment" so far.

not really

garlic08
09-27-2011, 13:29
Not my intention to be argumentative, so I hope this doesn't come across that way, but what does a hiker need to access in a hurry?

Not so much needed in a hurry, but I like to keep my money, credit card, and ID in a pocket, on my person at all times. (That's a habit I got into on trips in foreign cities, where your pack is a target and you're often tempted to set it down for a few minutes.) Pockets are nice for snacks on rainy days or other times you want to keep walking as much as possible. I keep my compass, guidebook page or map, and watch in a pocket, especially on trails where navigation is needed, unlike the AT. When a cool morning warms up and you might get chilly again in some shade coming up, they hold my hat and gloves nicely. They're not bulging with stuff, but they are convenient when you have them.

Odd Man Out
09-27-2011, 13:40

+1 on pockets. I got a drawer full of cargo shorts for that reason.

So, if you cut your pack weight to below 10 pounds by putting 15 pounds of stuff in your pockets, does that make you an ultralighter? ;-)

Blissful
09-27-2011, 13:42
I had an issue with tights and chafing. I found convertible pants avoided that.

sbhikes
09-27-2011, 14:50
What's the purpose of a skort? It has none of the benefits of a skirt. If you want to wear shorts, then wear shorts. If you want to wear a skirt, wear a real skirt. With a real skirt you get easier peeing, easier putting on/taking off the tights/rainpants. (You don't have to take the skirt off to do it.)

I either wear a real skirt or long pants. A real skirt is nice if I know there won't be brush to rip up my legs or bugs to bite up my legs. Otherwise, I wear long pants. It's good to find non-convertable pants but sometimes it's actually harder to find good non-convertable pants that also have good pockets. Another trick I do is to get really baggy, oversized pants so there's enough room for my thighs. I have to wear a belt then and sometimes I also have to sew the waist a couple inches thinner.

gearfreak
09-27-2011, 15:25
I take two pair and like the option of washing one out in a creek...

Any questions about treating your drinking water?

mattack
09-27-2011, 15:48
I always bring convertible pants, but end up with the bottoms stuffed in my pack somewhere. Although, it's nice to just take off the muddy part of your pants!

MommaDuck
09-27-2011, 19:52
Great food for thought. My tights are mid weight merino long johns i definately will be keeping. the verdict is still out on pants vs skirt. how often do you find you actually wear rain pants on a thru?

Tipi Walter
09-27-2011, 20:03
Any questions about treating your drinking water?

I always start my hiking day by drinking a quart of fresh squeezed urine. So no, no problem.

mountain squid
09-27-2011, 21:04
how often do you find you actually wear rain pants on a thru?Never, I didn't have 'em. I started Apr 20 and didn't think I needed them for warmth. If I were starting earlier I would consider them for potential snow and for added warmth.

I do wear convertible nylon pants for many of the already stated reasons:

*they dry quickly
*pockets (I keep maps and daily snacks handy in them - something else to keep handy is a camera - and, yes, you may want it in hurry)
*when tucked into socks, may help to prevent ticks and other biting insects
*poison ivy
*extra warmth
*sun protection - at least initially, until the leaves come out

Question for anyone - If you are wearing that skort thing, or shorts, with long johns, do your long johns get wet in the rain while hiking? Thereby giving you nothing warm or dry in camp? I have not had wet long johns under my convertible pants.

When I do zip-off the legs they can fit into a back pocket.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

-SEEKER-
09-27-2011, 21:21
+1 on pockets. I got a drawer full of cargo shorts for that reason.

So, if you cut your pack weight to below 10 pounds by putting 15 pounds of stuff in your pockets, does that make you an ultralighter? ;-)

I don't think so. In my experience it just means after hiking a while and losing weight you have to hold your pants up when the waist belt on your backpack isn't doing it for you :D.

-SEEKER-
09-27-2011, 21:27

I hiked in patagonia shorts that had 2 side pockets and a back pocket and never kept anything in any of the pockets when hiking.

I guess I should have said things that I would want to access without taking my backpack off. Paperwork, money, knife, hand sanitizer, bug lotion, tissue, etc.

MommaDuck
09-27-2011, 21:34
mountain squid-good point about long johns getting wet then not having dry camp clothes!
thank you

Tipi Walter
09-27-2011, 22:45
Question for anyone - If you are wearing that skort thing, or shorts, with long johns, do your long johns get wet in the rain while hiking? Thereby giving you nothing warm or dry in camp? I have not had wet long johns under my convertible pants.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

You only wear the long johns under the shorts when it's COLD---like 15F or 20F---too cold to rain. Otherwise, in a cold rain you just go forth with bare legs in shorts. The main thing is, you never get your long johns wet for any reason, ever. They are part of your in-camp sleeping layers for inside the sleeping bag. The squeamish can wear their rain pants over their bare legs in a cold rain if needed. When it's real cold and snowing, then you can either go in just shorts or in long johns and rain pants as the pants will protect the thermals from getting wet in that case.

aaronthebugbuffet
09-27-2011, 22:49
I can't sleep in long john bottoms. I sweat my balls off even when its colder than my sleeping bag rating and I have to wear a jacket to supplement. My ankles to my waist never seem to chill unless exposed to high winds.

Tipi Walter
09-27-2011, 22:53
I can't sleep in long john bottoms. I sweat my balls off even when its colder than my sleeping bag rating and I have to wear a jacket to supplement. My ankles to my waist never seem to chill unless exposed to high winds.

What happens when you ditch the jacket and unzip the bag and throw it over you like a blanket? Can you wear your thermal bottoms then?

aaronthebugbuffet
09-27-2011, 22:55
What happens when you ditch the jacket and unzip the bag and throw it over you like a blanket? Can you wear your thermal bottoms then?
Cold core with sweaty balls. :p

Tipi Walter
09-27-2011, 23:05

Surely you mean schweaty balls.

Tipi Walter
09-27-2011, 23:07

You may have prolapsis pudendas distentia, or hot sac syndrome.

Man Scout
09-28-2011, 10:50
While I rarely remove the legs from my convertible pants, I do like having the option of partially unzipping the legs (think slits in the fabric over my knees) for ventilation while still having protection for most of my legs from poison ivy, etc. It's also funny to see how many people will ask me if my pants are torn/broken...:p

MuddyWaters
09-30-2011, 22:19
Convertible pants are very popular. They arent as functional as it might seem. They are heavier due to the zippers in the legs, and have the drawbacks already mentioned, but they are convenient.

Despite what Winton Porter claims, pants DO have a purpose. They protect the legs from poison ivy, brush, mosquitos, ticks, sun. They also serve as a breathable light insulating /wind block layer. They also keep the baselayer long johns CLEAN so that they can be a sleep garment too.

Thats like saying dont wear a shirt because it isnt waterproof or windproof or warm. Stupid. It still has a purpose when you DONT need all those things.

Colter
10-01-2011, 10:09
As Winton Porter says: "You want to ask yourself, What does each piece of clothing do for me? Does it insulate? Does it stop wind? Does it stop rain?" he says. "Nylon zip-off pants don't do any of those three. If you wear a pair of nylon running shorts over lightweight long underwear, now you have pants that weigh 3.5 ounces instead of two to four times as much."

Nylon zip-off pants are warmer than shorts, that's why people zip off the legs when it's hot. They certainly help stop wind. They don't stop rain, but neither do shorts. They are much better at keeping sun off, as well as bugs, briars, mud, poison ivy etc. I'd like him to show me a shorts/long underwear combo that weighs 3.5 oz. If it's cold and rainy and you are wearing your long underwear, you probably won't want to wear the long underwear in your sleeping bag that night.

I don't have any trouble with zippers rubbing. Gear preferences vary.

MommaDuck
10-01-2011, 13:23
Thanks for the help! Appreciate it!

Patrickjd9
10-01-2011, 14:11
I use the shorts over long johns in camp all the time, but if it's cold enough to hike in long johns, it's cold enough to wear long pants.

Never had a problem with leg zippers rubbing with convertible shorts.

Rasty
10-03-2011, 17:46
I have a pair of Columbia Aruba 3 convertable pant. Elastic draw cord waist, mesh liner and five pockets. Legs weigh a couple of ounces and are easy to put on if the trail is overgrown. I bought from campmor for about $40. Avoid the campmor brand, the fabric snags everything.

sbhikes
10-03-2011, 18:44
On the PCT it rained a lot for me in Washington and it was around 40 degrees and the trail was really overgrown. I wore the rain pants with the legs zipped off my convertible pants. I zipped off the legs for 2 reasons. I got too hot with full pants and rain pants and I wanted dry pants to sleep in. The rain pants were probably more psychological than anything because I really am not used to wearing shorts. At night though it was hard to sleep with the sticky skin of my legs touching so I was glad to have the dry leg parts to zip on.

Now back home in drier Southern California, I totally love my rain pants. They're just chaps so they pack up small. I take them day hiking and backpacking. They make a huge difference. I wear them in wind, cold, rain, snow, wet fog and to bed.

Smooth & Wasabi
10-04-2011, 09:13
I like them in the shoulder seasons. I take them if I think I will need long pants for significant periods of walking and dry tights/long underwear for camp. It is nice to zip the legs on for summits/rests and wind/light precip, along with my windshirt it is a great wind resistant and highly breathable layer for all but winter temps. I also like to have easy acess to light gloves and earband/buff as well as snacks so the pockets are handy. I am extremely warm blooded and constant monitorinig and micro adjustment of my clothing system is crucial to not getting too soaked. That being said they are too heavy and too warm for me for most 3 season hikes. I wouldn't mind an ultralight version then they might see some more use(not that I have looked for one).

rdaviskiwi
10-13-2011, 18:16
I have love my convertible pants. The pants fit good and when in the shorts they for good to me. I am hard to please on shorts and pants so that's saying alot. These are insect/repel pants. Maybe that's the brand. I got them on sale for 40.00. I think they were 90.00 originally. I love them.

Amanita
10-20-2011, 15:24
I did the math, and I can bring 1 pair of shorts and 1 pair of pants for LESS weight than convertible pants. Some people can get the leg part off over top their trail shoes, but I can't, so that point is kind of moot. And it's easy to find enough privacy to change when you want to. As for pockets... I have a pouch that clips onto my belt for snacks/maps/wallet ect. And it comes right off so I can take it with me into shops in town.

4 ounce nylon shorts
AND
10 ounce pants
vs
16 ounce pants

The main advantage to having 2 full articles of clothing is that one of them can be clean and
dry. Now these are both relative terms, but changing from shorts that are soaked with sweat and reek to dry warm pants can make a big difference to me.

Tinker
10-20-2011, 20:04
A skort won't break the wind on your lower legs (and may not on the uppers, either). That's the attraction for me when it comes to nylon pants - they help you get the most of your insulation layers by not letting the wind whisk away your body's hard earned heat. I actually don't carry long johns much anymore unless I know it's going to be wickedly cold. I carry an extra pair of non-zipoff pants which I wear as pajamas. You'll be surprised how much warmer your legs will be with nylon pants and no poly underneath vs. poly and no nylon to break the windchill.

Colter
10-20-2011, 20:36
I did the math, and I can bring 1 pair of shorts and 1 pair of pants for LESS weight than convertible pants...The main advantage to having 2 full articles of clothing is that one of them can be clean and
dry. Now these are both relative terms, but changing from shorts that are soaked with sweat and reek to dry warm pants can make a big difference to me.

There are definitely some advantages to having both pants and shorts. It is possible to get convertibles that are 12 oz or less, though.

Miami Joe
10-20-2011, 21:17
I've found that a pair of well-worn hospital scrubs is the best thing to hike in most of the year and in most conditions on the AT. They're light but durable and dry quickly when they get wet.

MommaDuck
10-29-2011, 23:11
never thought of scrub pants. great idea. have plenty of them

Tinker
10-29-2011, 23:23
You may have prolapsis pudendas distentia, or hot sac syndrome.

Scratch that..........er, ah................nevermind!

msupple
01-21-2012, 17:55
Scratch that..........er, ah................nevermind!

I know this is an old post but that is the culmination of one of the funniest dialogues I've read on WB. I was literally laughing out loud. Thank you gentlemen. :)

rocketsocks
01-21-2012, 18:05
If you thought that was funny,then you deffinently read walters post on birthing and angry turd.LOLbelly LOL:banana

rocketsocks
01-21-2012, 18:07
sorry that should have read Did Not read :o

rocketsocks
01-21-2012, 18:31
And just to keep it going,My wife had the little ones in convertibles cause it just made more sense with all the I'm hot I'm cold.Then I found them.....love em,use to live in jeans,not any more boy.Convertibles are what I wear rain or shine,snow or well you get it, there my best thing,even sleep with them.....under my pillow.:)

TOMP
01-21-2012, 19:01

Its called a backpack, I put stuff in there. What do you really need in a hurry? Most hipbelts have pockets (or you can add them like I did for my camera). I agree convertibles are not necessary and not my favorite. Id rather have a pant that provides tick protection and not hike in shorts alone. I like running tights under running shorts. But all in all wear what you are comfortable with, if that means convertible why not, its not like they are jeans.

TOMP
01-21-2012, 19:05
I always start my hiking day by drinking a quart of fresh squeezed urine. So no, no problem.'

Hey, its sterile right...

rocketsocks
01-21-2012, 19:12
I don't even know what to say bout that.I got nothin

Papa D
01-21-2012, 19:57
no - they are not necessary - I've never owned a pair - hike in shorts - when it's cold and rainy put on rain pants

Summit
01-21-2012, 20:49
When worn as long pants, they also seem to fit just a bit odd, again with the zipper seam causing them to lay kind of funny.Until I came across REI's Sahara Convertibles, I would have agreed with this statement. I've worn them for numerous week-long hikes as my primary clothing and have nothing but good things to say about them. They do tend to run long in the leg for me when I get them big enough to fit my butt right, but that is easily remedied with military blousing straps, which give added value in keeping bugs out and heat in. I don't even feel the seam on my thighs.

http://www.rei.com/product/794407/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-with-no-sit-zips-mens-30-inseam

And no, I've never paid that price for them! They go on sale at almost every major REI sale for around $35. I had a pair that I wore for many hikes and the fly zipper busted at the end of my 2010 Rae Lakes Loop hike in the Sierra Nevadas. Took them back to REI and they gave me a brand new pair, no questions asked!

Sierra Echo
01-21-2012, 21:21
You can get convertibles at Bass Pro for pretty cheap. I have a pair I wore once and then the convertible gnomes got em (don't recall what I did with them). But thats ok cause I didn't much care for them. I wear a mini skirt and a base layer and call it good. Or sometimes, just the mini skirt! ;)

rocketsocks
01-22-2012, 02:42
At a girl Echo;),I should also note that they don't look good on me (so i've been told)to long to baggie,and don't lay right........just like I like,that way the girls won't hit on me:D.But I can do a spinning back kick Nadia comaneci into a triple lutz.....while tumbling down a moutain and not feel constricted at all.:banana

rocketsocks
06-07-2013, 20:38
I always start my hiking day by drinking a quart of fresh squeezed urine. So no, no problem.Me two...one morning it looked a little turbid....so I ran it threw again.

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2013, 20:56
I don't drink my own pee, but when I do I choose convertible pants... No rain pants required... Is this the humor forum?

cricket71
06-07-2013, 21:24
it's alot easier to drink your own pee if you wear a loin cloth, no convertibles here or rain pants because no matter how hard I try to stay dry when I hike in the rain I always seem to get soaked anyway and the loin cloth dries Quick:D