PDA

View Full Version : Budget 2012 CT Thru-Hike

q-tip
09-27-2011, 13:18
Planning for the thru-hike summer 2012, need to get some idea on range of costs to complete the hike. I will be flying to Denver and going west. Any suggestions on savings much appreciated.

yappy
09-27-2011, 13:48
I don't remember exactly what I spent but towns in general were not cheap but resupply was convenient ...I probably spent 1000 dollars includg flight from ak

Tyler
09-27-2011, 23:51
I spent very little on my thru hike this past year. I funded a great deal of my trip by selling my old heavier gear and making new lighter (and much cheaper) gear.

Bottom line is that if you go into town, you spend money. I was trying to stay on a tight budget so I kept my town stops to a minimum. By the time you get a room and go out to eat you've spend $100 before you know it. I only stayed in Breck and Creede. Most people are going to need at least a few days off the trail, I would recommend taking those days in a town that has a hostel.

Including my flight from IL, I spend around 550.00 for the entire trip.

thejackal
09-28-2011, 13:22
I think I spent between $1200 and $1300 including flights to/from NYC, 6 nights in towns, a craft Beer festival in Salida, and many burritos.

q-tip
09-28-2011, 18:05
Thanks much--gratefully much less expensive than I thought. My AT trip was a boatload.

mcskinney
10-20-2011, 14:01
I spent about $1000

StubbleJumper
10-20-2011, 20:23
Yeah, I probably spent around $1000 too. I was in no particular hurry, so I took 5 zero days which tends to drive the cost up due mainly to the cost of accommodations. If you are on a tight budget, it's probably a good idea to minimize the zero days or just take a day off in the woods. Cheap accommodations (ie $20-30/night) are available in Breck, Salida and Silverton. Best to avoid overnight stays in Twin Lakes if you're on a budget as all accommodations there seemed to cost in excess of $100/night.

Highway Man
10-24-2011, 10:44
I spent around $1,000 for the whole thru hike, including the round trip greyhound tickets. The most expenses I feel not worth is, the stay at the Snow Shoe Motel where I didn't have anybody to share the room, and shuttle back to the trail from Creede. The rest lodgings were quite reasonable even one needs to take a couple of zeros at the same town. Do as much hitches as you can to avoid shuttling.

Sensei
10-28-2011, 14:14
I'm also planning a CT thru for next year (starting around July 8-10 more than likely). If you want to keep spending to a minimum, you are more than welcome to crash at my place in Boulder between arriving in Denver and starting the trail. That is, if you're cool with sleeping on a stranger's couch. :)