PDA

View Full Version : Thirsty Hiker

Mack
02-24-2005, 14:59
Anyone have a pack with an integrated hydration system?

NICKTHEGREEK
02-24-2005, 15:29
Well, my Deuter can accommodate one in the side pocket, has a nice cut out and a cover flap for a slurpy-tube and holds a small bladder, but I'm not sure it's what you mean by integrated. I assume you mean does it come with one like a camelback hydration pack.

orangebug
02-24-2005, 16:20
Early in a hike, my Platypus lives between the top and main chamber of my pack. As the pack empties, I put the Platy in the top pocket and run the tubing out an opening in the zipper. I've seen bags with a pouch for bladders in the main compartment, but it looks like a gamble to me.

Footslogger
02-24-2005, 16:31
I don't think I'd ever buy a pack because it had one. I lay my Platy horizontally across the top of the pack. Might just be me ...but it seems like there would be a conflict trying to get at an internal sleeve in the middle of the day to access and refill your hydration bag.

'Slogger
AT 2003

sleeveless
02-24-2005, 16:37
My ULA P2 has an internal sleeve. I only have to pull out 2 bags to slide the bladder in and out. No problem at all. There are openings so that the tube can go over either shoulder. I love the pack the jury is still out on the hydration system.

sleeveless
02-24-2005, 16:40
I think perhaps I was not clear in my above reply. The bladder is a nalgene and did not come with the pack and the 2 bags I have to take out are 2 stuff sacks that I have in my pack.

Tim Rich
02-24-2005, 16:53

For those of you who do have one, how do you monitor your intake? I use a 20 ounce bottle in my wet rib pack in front of me, and have additional bottles to carry when necessary, so I can always tell how much water I have left.

Alligator
02-24-2005, 20:45
For those of you who do have one, how do you monitor your intake? I use a 20 ounce bottle in my wet rib pack in front of me, and have additional bottles to carry when necessary, so I can always tell how much water I have left.I use the large back pouch on my Osprey Aether 60 to hold my platy. If I'm feeling thirsty, I drink. If I notice my urine is taking on color, I drink some more. When I stop to snack, about every 1-1.5 hours, I drink and maybe check the platy. I carry enough to last until lunch at least, which is when I usually check it for certain, or I will check it towards the afternoon near water sources.

ocourse
02-24-2005, 21:41
Mountainsmith Ghost pack with a 2L Platypus. The pack has a sleeve for the bladder and an exit port for the tube. I think you get a good feel for how much water you drink/is left. Pack is a panel load type so filling it up isn't too bad.

Freeze
02-25-2005, 01:05
i only carried 8 oz of water for emergency purposes. I stopped and drank everytime i came accross a water source. Worked fine for me, and i did not have to carry exessive water weight.

flyfisher
02-25-2005, 07:51

I carry a platypus with tube in a mesh pocket outside the pack. When I want to know how much water is left in it, I reach back and can feel the amount with my hand.

(The pack is a Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak Pack)

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%20and%20Day%20Packs/Fanatic%20Fringe%20Thompson%20Peak%20Pack/Rick%20Allnutt%20III/Initial%20Report/ffcrop_web.jpg

hikerjohnd
02-25-2005, 08:30
My Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone has a sleeve, but I have decided it is not very efficient. First, filling the bladder is difficult because it has to be removed frm the pack (some unloading required). Second, the exit point for the tube is tight, almost too tight. I use a nalgene bladder and it has a quick connect point from hose to bag. Between the bite valve and the quick connect it is impossible to get the hose through the hole. So my bladder rides outside! :)

J.D.
02-25-2005, 08:48
Having looked at the hydration packs I decided it was a lot of extra weight/gear I did not need. On the other hand, it has taken me quite a while to get used to the Platy. It leaked, froze up, and was general pain. I kept trying to use it vs. nalgene bottles and "may" have figured it out. I feel that the Platy saves some grams and is therefore useful.

Two days ago, I stopped at R.E.I. to "browse" and they now have an INSULATING TUBE for the Platy... Did not buy it - just a piece of foam tubing; but, probably "helps" a bit.

Back to your question: IMHO, not worth the extra weight.

Alligator
02-25-2005, 10:16
Having looked at the hydration packs I decided it was a lot of extra weight/gear I did not need. On the other hand, it has taken me quite a while to get used to the Platy. It leaked, froze up, and was general pain. I kept trying to use it vs. nalgene bottles and "may" have figured it out. I feel that the Platy saves some grams and is therefore useful.

Two days ago, I stopped at R.E.I. to "browse" and they now have an INSULATING TUBE for the Platy... Did not buy it - just a piece of foam tubing; but, probably "helps" a bit.

Back to your question: IMHO, not worth the extra weight.
J.D.- In freezing temps, blow the water back into the bladder to prevent tube freezing. You can make an insulating tube out of blue foam--old sleeping mat material-- and duck tape. I also constructed a cozy for my bladder part and use warm water to prevent freezing. Boil 1 part water and add to 2 parts cold, mix in bladder, put in cozy.