PDA

View Full Version : Sample meal list.

Lyte-w8-hyker
09-27-2011, 16:01
I've been back packing for a long time but I'm usually restricted to monthly overnighters in the mountains in Arkansas or maybe the occasianly 2night/3 day trip. I always seem to pack too much food, or it dosen't have enough cal/oz ratio. Can someone give me a good sample meal list for a typical day that is light and high in calories?

dillard
09-27-2011, 16:52
When I was on the trail the following was a typical days meal plan.

Breakfast: 2 packs of oatmeal or grits

Snacks: 1 or 2 Cliff bars & trail mix

Lunch: Foil pack of tuna or PB&J on a wrap. (Carry small packets of mayo, relish, etc. to flavor the wrap and add moisture, for jelly carry small packets you find in diners.)

Dinner: Knorrs side or instant mashed taters or two ramen packs with tuna foil pack and some olive oil for dinner.

Throw in bacon bits, pepperoni sticks, cheese and some candy as treats to have occasionally with meals. If your not a huge fan of tuna you can get salmon, chicken and spam in foil packs as well for your protein needs.

10-K
09-27-2011, 17:10
Trial and error and what works for you now will probably suck in a few weeks time. It's an every changing thing for me.

Think about what you like and read nutritional labels.

grayfox
09-27-2011, 22:51
A fair rule of thumb is to go by the weight of your food bag. One and a half to two and a half pounds per day will get you in the 'healthy and satisfying' range with weather and activity levels for the hike being the variables--cold with lots of ups and downs means take more food. The other variable is the ratio of dry food to fresh food-some of each will keep your apetite up better than all dried food-I like to pack an orange and an onion and some fresh meat for the first day. Adjust as needed if you pack a fishing pole. If your bag weighs more than two pounds times as many days as you will be out then you need to rethink, also if you have only one pound per day you might want to add something.

If you want to get scientific about your menu planning, look up a food pyramid and adjust the proportions of carbs, fats and protien accordingly. The book NOLS Cookery will give you weights for each food on a per person per day basis and gives good ideas for menus if you like to cook. If you are not into cooking and cleanup then just think, "bag lunch".

Lyte-w8-hyker
09-28-2011, 11:30
yea I try and usually shoot for 1.5lbs a day and 100/cal per ounce. But usually come in a little lower than I like on the cal/ounce.

Lyte-w8-hyker
09-28-2011, 11:31
I did a trip last weekend in Arkansas on a 26 mile loop with some good hill climbs. I balanced my food out well but I felt super hungry for like a day and a half extra so I dont think I was eating enough for 12 mile days (with a 13lb pack) over some decent hills.

Spokes
09-28-2011, 11:34
I carry a bulb of garlic and add a minched up clove to every dinner along with olive oil. Yum!

Spokes
09-28-2011, 11:35
I carry a bulb of garlic and add a minched up clove to every dinner along with olive oil. Yum! Never once had any issues with vampires along the trail.

Tipi Walter
09-28-2011, 12:30
For a two or three day trip, well, you could fast for that length of time and not even have to worry about food. Or you could go stoveless and take snacks. Or bring a stove and cook up soup meals or a fry pan and scramble eggs. The choices are limitless.

VARIETY
I'm a firm proponent of having a wide variety of food items on a backpacking trip---cuz if you go out enough you will want the choices. Watermelon? Take it. A couple avocados? Take them. A pint of Haagen Daz honey vanilla ice cream? Take it. If it melts drink it in camp. A bag or white grapes? Take it. A dozen fresh eggs in a little plastic egg suitcase? Take it. Tofu or tempeh? Take it. A head of cabbage? Take it. Raw goat cheese? It's my favorite! I'll be taking it.

Before a trip I always cruise thru my favorite grocery store and let the store decide what I will take on my next trip. If I see something interesting, like some Indian Tasty Bite meals, or some Dr. McDougall's black bean soup mixes in a box, or a new type of granola bar, well, let's give it a try. There's nothing worse than going out carrying a bunch of food you don't want to eat. My only real advice is to avoid the junk---the snickers and twinkies and overly salty dehydrated additives meals and the nitrite-laced meat products or the brominated vegetable oil-laced drinks like gatorade, etc.

10-K
09-28-2011, 12:45
For a two or three day trip, well, you could fast for that length of time and not even have to worry about food. Or you could go stoveless and take snacks. Or bring a stove and cook up soup meals or a fry pan and scramble eggs. The choices are limitless.

VARIETY
I'm a firm proponent of having a wide variety of food items on a backpacking trip---cuz if you go out enough you will want the choices. Watermelon? Take it. A couple avocados? Take them. A pint of Haagen Daz honey vanilla ice cream? Take it. If it melts drink it in camp. A bag or white grapes? Take it. A dozen fresh eggs in a little plastic egg suitcase? Take it. Tofu or tempeh? Take it. A head of cabbage? Take it. Raw goat cheese? It's my favorite! I'll be taking it.

Before a trip I always cruise thru my favorite grocery store and let the store decide what I will take on my next trip. If I see something interesting, like some Indian Tasty Bite meals, or some Dr. McDougall's black bean soup mixes in a box, or a new type of granola bar, well, let's give it a try. There's nothing worse than going out carrying a bunch of food you don't want to eat. My only real advice is to avoid the junk---the snickers and twinkies and overly salty dehydrated additives meals and the nitrite-laced meat products or the brominated vegetable oil-laced drinks like gatorade, etc.

You're my hero because you carry your own firewood too. :)

Lyte-w8-hyker
09-28-2011, 14:15
thanks, lots of great ideas

Tipi Walter
09-28-2011, 19:30
You're my hero because you carry your own firewood too. :)

Is this a Chuck Norris joke?

10-K
09-29-2011, 06:42
Is this a Chuck Norris joke?

No, I was just messing with you. :)

Nutbrown
09-29-2011, 08:10
I bring a pack of wheat tortillas. Cheese and pepperoni makes a fab pizza on one. Next time I'm bringing some raman noodles and a bag or 2 of those heat and eat Indian meals. They are a bit heavier than I would like, so I'll eat em 1st.

Ktaadn
09-29-2011, 10:58
I've been back packing for a long time but I'm usually restricted to monthly overnighters in the mountains in Arkansas or maybe the occasianly 2night/3 day trip. I always seem to pack too much food, or it dosen't have enough cal/oz ratio. Can someone give me a good sample meal list for a typical day that is light and high in calories?

Breakfast: 1 clif bar and 1 Kashi bar
Lunch: 2 Tortillias, 1 package of precooked bacon, 2 packets of mayo
Dinner: 2 Tortillias, 4.5 oz salami, 4 oz cheese, 2 packets of mayo
snacks: 6.3 oz of M's

3496 calories and 28.22 oz. 123.9 cal/oz

Enjoy!