PDA

View Full Version : Thru hikers attitude towards section hikers...

elytis
09-27-2011, 17:03
Hey guys,

In the last couple of days of reading posts I have noticed a trend in some of the posts here. It seems that alot of thru-hikers think very little of section hikers. Why is this? I myself am a section hiker for the simple reason that I cannot afford to undertake a thru hike. Why does it matter if I hike only one section at a time vs. the whole thing at once, aren't we all out there to enjoy the beauty of the wilderness?

Old Hiker
09-27-2011, 17:04
Three, two.........

Ender
09-27-2011, 17:08
Honestly, and I'm a past thru-hiker, I feel the exact opposite of what you describe. I think no worse of section hikers than I do thru hikers. I personally think that being a section hiker is a lot more difficult than being a thru-hiker, mainly because you have to get back in shape every time you go back out. So I have a lot of respect for section hikers because of that alone.

Really though, it's just two different ways of hiking a trail, neither one is better or worse than the other, just different.

Ender
09-27-2011, 17:09
And, now that I have more responsibilities than I did when I was able to take my thru, I suppose I'm a potential section hiker now as well. I just don't have the time available to me to do a thru any more.

10-K
09-27-2011, 17:12
Dogs on leashes and should I carry a gun and smoke weed. :)

WingedMonkey
09-27-2011, 17:20
Section hikers are lonely.

Chaco Taco
09-27-2011, 17:39
I will say this, there are some Thru's that def do think they are better and entitled to more than sectioners. I saw it a little bit this year but its more of a thing with the younger crowd. I see it more so on this website than anything, but not so much on trail.

hikerboy57
09-27-2011, 17:41
i dont know how many sections ive thru hiked already.most "real" thru hikers and I have gotten along just fine.we show each other our guns, machetes and bear canisters, and nod to each other in unspoken agreement..

snowsusie
09-27-2011, 17:41
I'm a section hiker for the simple reason that I'm afraid that if I hike thru, I won't ever want to go home.
:sun

Old Hiker
09-27-2011, 17:42
i dont know how many sections ive thru hiked already.most "real" thru hikers and I have gotten along just fine.we show each other our guns, machetes and bear canisters, and nod to each other in unspoken agreement..

And do you agree with how long cheese will last on the trail?

Chaco Taco
09-27-2011, 17:46
You dont use Leki poles do you?:D

Chaco Taco
09-27-2011, 17:47
Dogs on leashes and should I carry a gun and smoke weed. :) or smoking weed in a shelter:sun

hikerboy57
09-27-2011, 17:59
You dont use Leki poles do you?:Dhavent used them yet, although Im considering them for my section next year. My 55 yr old knees are starting to feel the years. so the answer is no and yes.
and I still have no idea how long cheese lasts on the trail.

johnnyblisters
09-27-2011, 18:03
Beating a dead horse here but,

I came to the realization on my journey this year that most thru-hikers feel entitled mainly due to the vast amounts of trail magic thrown at them so early in the game. We were blindsided by cheeseburgers and pie, giving us the impression we were special. You get treated like royalty, you start acting like it... In reality we were just homeless :rolleyes:

max patch
09-27-2011, 18:06
It seems that alot of thru-hikers think very little of section hikers.

I don't know about "a lot" but there is some of that out there and I don't why. On my thru when I was in the SNP some thrus at a shelter told some section hikers that had just arrived that the shelters were "reserved for thrus" I overheard this, told the sectioneers that shelters were first come first served and they could certainly stay there if they wanted to. I have heard other people tell similar stories.

hikerboy57
09-27-2011, 18:09
i was wondering when the entitlement thing would rear its ugly head.It gives section hikers a very poor view of thru hikers.

Fat Man Walking
09-27-2011, 18:13
It's the reason why I started doing my sections two weeks (well ok, two and half weeks) at a time. Just got tired of getting my legs somewhat in shape about the time I would get off.

Someone inferred that section hikers are lonely. I would agree with that statement. I started doing sections in 2000. Last year and this year are the only two years that I have run into bubbles of thru hikers. Last year (2010) I hit older thru's (Or thru's my age) and got along very well with them. In fact, I still correspond with a couple of them. This year, the weeks I took off, I was ahead of my schedule from 2010 and ran into the younger, faster hikers. My experience with them was just as good. Although, I doubt that I will hear from them as I did the older guys. My early years were mostly solo and mostly very solitary. Certainly nothing like the feel good journals and party atmosphere impression that you read. That part, was much tougher mentally than anything. No one to help you fight off the blues.

Lastly, cheese always lasted long enough to be totally consumed for me. Not appealing to look at, but certainly edible. Kind of like the M&M in the middle of the trail. Also, I hike with Leki's.

Jeff
09-27-2011, 18:14
I will say this, there are some Thru's that def do think they are better and entitled to more than sectioners. I saw it a little bit this year but its more of a thing with the younger crowd. I see it more so on this website than anything, but not so much on trail.

Completely agree with this quote.

It was rare to see or hear of hard feeling between section hikers and thru hikers at our hostel.

yappy
09-27-2011, 18:20
It The way I c it we r all day and section hikers once we go home I told my husband how we sttew on this kind of thing he thinks we r nuts ! He had never heard of the term thru hikr b4 he met me haha....enjoy the trail how ever u can we r all lucky thy r out there

Tipi Walter
09-27-2011, 18:21

I've been blessed these last several years by being able to go out into wilderness areas far off the beaten trail, and far from the AT boulevard. But I did recently spend 19 days on the AT in Virginia and gotta say I agree with the above sentiment. It's an old tired chestnut, beating a dead horse, but there's something about the AT which takes greenhorns and makes them self-appointed experts in the span of a few short months. It's comical to see them "holding court" at a shelter---as if they are the favored court jesters and we are all their audience. The best way to tell you're in the presence of the Elect? They ask absolutely no questions. They could be sitting next to Dorothy Laker or Colin Fletcher and would not ask a single question.

hikerboy57
09-27-2011, 18:22
almost without exception, the thru hikers Ive met over the years have welcomed me as one of their own, and I havent come across the young and entitled version yet, although my AT experience is all north of the DWG, so many of the younger partiers have fizzled out before then.met a lot of great guys in gorham, year after year(I usually vacation in August).Still, I do notice the smell.

Chaco Taco
09-27-2011, 18:33
we met a crew this year at Glencliff. There was one particular kid that just sat and talked about big miles and blowing past other people. He said the same thing about shelters, reserved for thru's. Someone set him straight at the hostel and told him to lose the entitlement attitude. Some of SOBO's we met this year were great. Also met a group up on S Twin that were just so cool and laid back, enjoying the hike and had a great attitude. They were stoked when they figured out we hiked in 08. Some of the best memories I have of my thruhike is the various people we met on the trail that were doing sections. Some "thruhikers" have no clue. We got lucky and got into a pretty awesome pack of people.

yappy
09-27-2011, 18:38
I agree :) I have always been in a great of hikers..if not then I moved on ...I agree tht section hikers r amazingly tuff and focused my hat off 2 u guys 4 going bk yr aftr yr

4eyedbuzzard
09-27-2011, 19:15
I remember Ed Garvey (who was an avid hiker before his thru) once observed that section hikers experience the trail much differently than many thru-hikers. Sectioners are many times avid lifetime hikers, while for at least some thrus, a thru-hike is more a one time expedition or quest experience. Garvey noted that sectioners see a lot more of the country around the AT corridor. They visit more trail towns, hike more approach and side trails, and actually see a lot more of the overall landscape that the AT is routed through. They do so during many different seasons (and years) in comparison to what for many thru-hikers is a one time "green tunnel" walking with spring experience (and lately a moving frat party according to some). Thru's experience more of a quest / expedition, and certainly start and emerge with a different mental mindset than a section hiker. Two different experiences - but both incorporating the AT.
Most hikers I've met, whether sectioners or thru-hikers (or both), have always been pretty nice people. Yeah, there are a few thru's who seem pretty aloof, kind of "trail snobbish", etc, but they are by far the minority. But there are just as many sectioners who are annoying in their own way. None of us are special or better than the other. We're all just out Hiking Our Own Hike.

Skid.
09-27-2011, 19:21
We get along fine. My favorite assessment of Sectioners by a Thru hiker was - "Section hikers have the best food!"

Rusty Nail
09-27-2011, 19:55
The thrus I have come across have been very welcoming... maybe they just wanted my food?

Just a Hiker
09-27-2011, 20:09
The only interesting thing about this "Annual" topic is the fact that Tipi Walter mentioned Dorothy Laker! Rarely does anyone ever mention her or her great writing about her AT thru-hikes.

Sarcasm the elf
09-27-2011, 20:19
Hey guys,

In the last couple of days of reading posts I have noticed a trend in some of the posts here. It seems that alot of thru-hikers think very little of section hikers. Why is this? I myself am a section hiker for the simple reason that I cannot afford to undertake a thru hike. Why does it matter if I hike only one section at a time vs. the whole thing at once, aren't we all out there to enjoy the beauty of the wilderness?

I hear this sentiment on this site a lot more than I have seen it on the trail. Most of the thru-hikers I've met were friendly, the few I've met who weren't usually seemed either exhausted or genuinely introverted (nothing wrong with that). All of my hiking has been north of DWG and I've noticed that most of the folks complaining about the "elite" thru hikers are from the south, I wonder if the folks with this mentality end up either growing up or dropping off the trail before they hit my neck of the woods.

hikingshoes
09-27-2011, 20:30
We did two section last yr. starting at Max Patch-- Hot Springs next was Max Patch-- Standing Bear on both section we had thru-hiker's there and had a great time talking and having dinner together. We get along fine!!Even had one thru-hiker with his dog at it slept next to him and was very well trained for as being around use.HS

restlesss
09-27-2011, 20:32
I think it is kinda a prestige thing that when you say I hiked 2000 miles in a season compared to in three (or more)years I hiked a total of 2000 miles.

4shot
09-27-2011, 20:34
All of my hiking has been north of DWG and I've noticed that most of the folks complaining about the "elite" thru hikers are from the south, I wonder if the folks with this mentality end up either growing up or dropping off the trail before they hit my neck of the woods.

This. Most of the annoying "thru-hiker's" you hear about aren't actually thru-hikers. The trail filters them out.If you always hike north of DWG you will not encounter them. OTOH, you will have to tolerate the accents!:) I have the ultimate respect for section hikers....what a tough way to go. I for one don't think I could do the trail in shorter bites. All the section hikers I met were great people (especially you Fat Man).

IrishBASTARD
09-27-2011, 20:34
I've been blessed these last several years by being able to go out into wilderness areas far off the beaten trail, and far from the AT boulevard. But I did recently spend 19 days on the AT in Virginia and gotta say I agree with the above sentiment. It's an old tired chestnut, beating a dead horse, but there's something about the AT which takes greenhorns and makes them self-appointed experts in the span of a few short months. It's comical to see them "holding court" at a shelter---as if they are the favored court jesters and we are all their audience. The best way to tell you're in the presence of the Elect? They ask absolutely no questions. They could be sitting next to Dorothy Laker or Colin Fletcher and would not ask a single question. Thru or section...people who ask questions should know as much as they can before hitting the trail. "Always learn from your mistakes so you dont repear them". Asking questions can also bother other hikers...by being a "greenhorn" or not people may just want to chill and have fun and chat not q&a all night.

BabySue
09-27-2011, 20:59
I echo what 4eyedbuzzard said a few posts up. You likely won't find a section hiker who isn't an avid long term hiker. Many thru hikers of course fit this description, but you also have the once & done crowd. I once talked with a group of thru-hikers having a reunion a year after completing their thru hike. They were lodging together 100 yards off the trail for a few days. I asked how much hiking they were doing. They looked at me like I was crazy: "Why would we do that?" They had a strong been-there-done-that attitude. An attitude, by the way, which I'm not criticizing. Just observing and building on what 4eyedbuzzard noted.

On another note, a growing sense of entitlement (especially among the young) is very very real. It's not a trail thing. It's a life thing. My assessment is that who you are on the trail is simply an extention of who you are off the trail (duh). So, for example, someone who feels entitled as a hiker is almost someone who feels entitled at their job.

hikerboy57
09-27-2011, 20:59
Thru or section...people who ask questions should know as much as they can before hitting the trail. "Always learn from your mistakes so you dont repear them". Asking questions can also bother other hikers...by being a "greenhorn" or not people may just want to chill and have fun and chat not q&a all night.Yeah I think hammock or tent and tarp debates are best reserved for WB and not the shelters. I dont need to compare gear. Ive figured out what works for me, and theyve figured out what works for them. HYOH.nighttime is for chillin and grillin.

Papa D
09-27-2011, 21:04
I tend to agree with Tipi Walter - that said, and as a past thru-hiker, by no fault of their own, thru-hikers are members of a little clan - like it or not - their shared experiences bond them together in a way that section hikers perceive as being aloof - the perception might or might not be true. It's funny, when I thru hiked, I was so lonely at times I was happy to bust the chops of any live human being - today, there are so many people on the trail, it's sort of easier for thru-hikers to bond together. As a section hiker myself, I seem to get along fine and make friends with current thru-hikers easily but the "divide" between thru hikers and section hikers surely exists. Tipi is right about knowledge though - a thru-hike is a proud thing but it doesn't require you to be a expert woodsman (like Tipi) - with cell phone service everywhere, shuttle service, hostels galore and civilization at every road crossing, the trail can be walked in astoundingly urban style - thru hikers should recognize that it a thru-hike makes you a thru-hiker but not necessarily a backpacking expert or give you the right to be rude.

Lone Wolf
09-27-2011, 21:07
i thru-hiked many times. i disliked most thru-hikers's company. i won't shuttle most thru-hikers. they want rides for nothing. section walkers are great

hikerboy57
09-27-2011, 21:12
i think, as with the rest of humanity, when it comes down to it, forget about race, religion, political affiliation,thru/section hiker, there are just 2 kinds of people- good and bad.so far, Ive been fortunate enough to find the good far outnumbering the bad.
that being said, dont dissapoint me should we meet.

Chaco Taco
09-27-2011, 21:21
Thru or section...people who ask questions should know as much as they can before hitting the trail. "Always learn from your mistakes so you dont repear them". Asking questions can also bother other hikers...by being a "greenhorn" or not people may just want to chill and have fun and chat not q&a all night.

Really? Never been bothered when anyone ask a question. Just sayin.

Wise Old Owl
09-27-2011, 21:53
Beating a dead horse here but,

I came to the realization on my journey this year that most thru-hikers feel entitled mainly due to the vast amounts of trail magic thrown at them so early in the game. We were blindsided by cheeseburgers and pie, giving us the impression we were special. You get treated like royalty, you start acting like it... In reality we were just homeless :rolleyes:

Very deep -

Section Hikers and Thru Hold hands and repeat .... KUM BYE YA! - I can't believe I posted this ...even in jest.

Chaco Taco
09-27-2011, 22:03
Chaco grow up

No way:D

Actually, I moderated myself and toned it down a little. In all seriousness, what you said IB is the silliest thing I have ever heard. I will gladly share any info with anyone that ask and some of the best advice I have ever gotten and new things I have learned has come from conversations I have had with people in camp.

elytis
09-27-2011, 22:17
Thanks guys for all the responses. I just wanted to know if it was a wide spread thing or just a few people with poor attitudes.

stranger
09-27-2011, 22:26
This is nothing new...it has always been around.

The whole "I'm more hardcore than you", etc... However I do not believe this experience is overly common, but yes...it does happen from time to time. Also, when it does happen it almost always is a thru-hiker or someone claiming to be a thru-hiker, I've never seen an overly arrogant section-hiker...YET.

Most hikers on the trail are good people, and everyone dismisses the arrogant ones anyhow...no one takes them seriously which is why they go to great length to be all staunch, this, that...they are doing that cause no one likes them.

Hikers are people, and people do stupid things sometimes. It's not about thru-hikers.

Blissful
09-27-2011, 22:32
For those section hikers feeling left out and not getting the praise they duly deserve, there is help -on Facebook with a new group called Appalachian Trail section hikers, just born yesterday. https://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/

Also an ongoing 12 step program started by Hooch and TOW on the group - just FYI :)

Wise Old Owl
09-27-2011, 22:35
You know just hang out with friends and don't sweat the petty things in life.

mattack
09-28-2011, 10:38
Dogs on leashes and should I carry a gun and smoke weed. :)

Bad Dog Owners! Second Amendment Rights! Yeaaaaah man.

chief
09-28-2011, 13:24
C'mon all you entitled greenhorns, show some respect! If you meet up with Tipi Walter on a trail, ask some questions.

birdygal
09-28-2011, 13:36
I would think the best thing about being a section hiker would be it takes years to see it all, If I was a thru I would not want to go back over the same trail again, I would choose a different trail for a new experience but then look how many other trails are out there

Tipi Walter
09-28-2011, 13:44
C'mon all you entitled greenhorns, show some respect! If you meet up with Tipi Walter on a trail, ask some questions.

Can I delete this post?

hobby
09-28-2011, 14:49
You dont use Leki poles do you?:D

I've got almost $300 saved. I think that should be enough for my hike, now that I know that the shelters are all reserved for thru's! I don't need to buy a tent!;)

Pedaling Fool
09-28-2011, 15:00
According to the PATC the shelters are NOT for weekenders, at least not if there are any long-distance hikers around :D http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?77091-Overnight-hikers-in-SNP-shelters

hikerboy57
09-28-2011, 15:31
Is it true that most thru hikers end up as section hikers after their thru, while most section hikers never become thruhikers?
although I still havent realized my dream of a complete thru hike, my experiences of 30+ years on the trail have got me to the point where a complete thru hike is no longer as important. Im already part of a community of hikers both thru and section, day, weeklong, etc. and thats enough. I still would like to do the whole trail, I have sometimes envied the bond Ive seen among some groups of thrus whove hiked hundreds or even thousands of miles together.Ive met countless thru hikers over the years, as well as section hikers, and Ive had some very rich experiences But in the end, i go to the woods to reconnect with my spirit.Although my boss is giving me 3 months next year to do the southern half, he knows I might call him to tell him i need to finish. I guess Ill find out just how important finishing is when i get to DWG next year.

tdoczi
09-28-2011, 15:35
According to the PATC the shelters are NOT for weekenders, at least not if there are any long-distance hikers around :D http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?77091-Overnight-hikers-in-SNP-shelters

they define long distance as 3 consecutive nights though... nothing do with being a thru hiker or not, but just establishes its for backpackers. have you never hiked into a shelter thats only a mile or two from a road to find a family of 4 spread out with a cooler and bbq occupying the entire thing as if it was their own private weekend getaway? i imagine thats what the PATC is trying to eliminate. of course no one is going to enforce this rule and those people dont read the backs of AT hiking maps.

Pedaling Fool
09-28-2011, 15:48
they define long distance as 3 consecutive nights though... nothing do with being a thru hiker or not, but just establishes its for backpackers. have you never hiked into a shelter thats only a mile or two from a road to find a family of 4 spread out with a cooler and bbq occupying the entire thing as if it was their own private weekend getaway? i imagine thats what the PATC is trying to eliminate. of course no one is going to enforce this rule and those people dont read the backs of AT hiking maps.
Yes, I have seen the homeless, including whole families living in shelters and you're probably correct on their intent. But they just simply screwed up in the wording on the back of the map: "The PATC operates and maintains seven, three-sided HUTS along the Appalachian Trail within the SNP. The hut system is intended to provide shelter for long-term hikers (at least three nights of backcountry camping) and specifically AT long distance "thru-hikers"."

It simply confuses the first come, first serve policy. The above statement on their map only supports the view of those that believe thru-hikers have priority in shelters; I don't read it that way, but I know some will and do. Furthermore, if you read between the lines (again I don't read it this way, but some will) you can see in it that if one is hiking for 3 nights and 12 other people are hiking for 3 weeks than those that are hiking longer have priority over the shelter, regardless if the weekender got their first.

They could of worded it much differently to address the squatters.

tdoczi
09-28-2011, 16:13
Yes, I have seen the homeless, including whole families living in shelters and you're probably correct on their intent. But they just simply screwed up in the wording on the back of the map: "The PATC operates and maintains seven, three-sided HUTS along the Appalachian Trail within the SNP. The hut system is intended to provide shelter for long-term hikers (at least three nights of backcountry camping) and specifically AT long distance "thru-hikers"."

It simply confuses the first come, first serve policy. The above statement on their map only supports the view of those that believe thru-hikers have priority in shelters; I don't read it that way, but I know some will and do. Furthermore, if you read between the lines (again I don't read it this way, but some will) you can see in it that if one is hiking for 3 nights and 12 other people are hiking for 3 weeks than those that are hiking longer have priority over the shelter, regardless if the weekender got their first.

They could of worded it much differently to address the squatters.

i see what you mean, but just to clarify, i'm not speaking of homeless, i'm talking about people who think the shelter is some sort of first come first serve private cabin. they hike in friday night, set up shop and stay all weekend and leave sometime sunday. the only hiking they do is from the car to the shelter. on one level or another this sort of thing is rampant on the trail all around where i am.

if you amend the patc statement to take out the words "specifically AT long distance "thru hikers"." i have no problem with their statement. i dont see anything in their statement to imply that people out for longer periods of time take priority, unless anyone's period of time is less than 3 nights. even reading between the lines.

what i do know is finding 4 people occupying a shelter with a capacity of 12 or 14 and acting like they own the whole place because they got their first and its obvious theyre staying the whole weekend and arent hiking another step is maddening.

4eyedbuzzard
09-28-2011, 17:45
i see what you mean, but just to clarify, i'm not speaking of homeless, i'm talking about people who think the shelter is some sort of first come first serve private cabin. they hike in friday night, set up shop and stay all weekend and leave sometime sunday. the only hiking they do is from the car to the shelter. on one level or another this sort of thing is rampant on the trail all around where i am.

if you amend the patc statement to take out the words "specifically AT long distance "thru hikers"." i have no problem with their statement. i dont see anything in their statement to imply that people out for longer periods of time take priority, unless anyone's period of time is less than 3 nights. even reading between the lines.

what i do know is finding 4 people occupying a shelter with a capacity of 12 or 14 and acting like they own the whole place because they got their first and its obvious theyre staying the whole weekend and arent hiking another step is maddening.
Move to New England - for whatever reason, I have never experienced that type of behavior here, other than a thru-hiker once who wanted to take up enough space for 3 or 4 people in a shelter. I simply asked him where he wanted me to move his gear to. He got the message loud and clear. ;) There's another simple response though if they're belligerent. Report them to park rangers or law enforcement. They're probably breaking either drug, alcohol, or fire laws anyway. Yet another good reason to avoid shelters altogether.

Sly
09-28-2011, 17:57
There's another simple response though if they're belligerent. Report them to park rangers or law enforcement. They're probably breaking either drug, alcohol, or fire laws anyway. Yet another good reason to avoid shelters altogether.

Yes officer, they were belligerent, so I'm positive they were probably breaking the law. Can you bust them?

Mr. BuffaloMan
09-28-2011, 18:09
Thru or section...people who ask questions should know as much as they can before hitting the trail. "Always learn from your mistakes so you dont repear them". Asking questions can also bother other hikers...by being a "greenhorn" or not people may just want to chill and have fun and chat not q&a all night.In my experience, hikers who do not ask the questions are the ones who show they don't know what they are doing. I know a really cocky thru hiker who stood in a White Mtn hut and called Ray Jardine a "pussy" because he had no idea who Ray was or why his gear was so lightweight.

Ask questions before you open your mouth and make a fool out of yourself.:)

tdoczi
09-28-2011, 18:29
Move to New England - for whatever reason, I have never experienced that type of behavior here, other than a thru-hiker once who wanted to take up enough space for 3 or 4 people in a shelter. I simply asked him where he wanted me to move his gear to. He got the message loud and clear. ;) There's another simple response though if they're belligerent. Report them to park rangers or law enforcement. They're probably breaking either drug, alcohol, or fire laws anyway. Yet another good reason to avoid shelters altogether.

seen it in new england, at the hemlocks shelter in MA to be specific. they had gotten dropped off at the lake thats trail south of there (forget the name) its less than a mile walk on essentially a dirt road to the shelter from there. they had a cooler, a bbq, folding chairs, the whole 9 yards.

seen something similar but lass ridiculous at the first shelter south of dalton i beleive. and if you go to ANY shelter in harriman state park on a good weekend, forget about it.

surprised a thru hiker wouldnt know not to do that.

hikerboy57
09-28-2011, 18:39
this is the reason i try to avoid the trails on weekends.may as well go to a local park and camp out on a picnic table.

Chaco Taco
09-28-2011, 18:48
In my experience, hikers who do not ask the questions are the ones who show they don't know what they are doing. I know a really cocky thru hiker who stood in a White Mtn hut and called Ray Jardine a "pussy" because he had no idea who Ray was or why his gear was so lightweight.

Ask questions before you open your mouth and make a fool out of yourself.:)

I tried to say more or less the exact same thing and was told to grow up;)
Good point

bus
09-28-2011, 18:58
Is it true that most thru hikers end up as section hikers after their thru, while most section hikers never become thruhikers?

That would mean that most thrus go right out and do a thru with out ever doing a section.

4eyedbuzzard
09-28-2011, 19:45
That would mean that most thrus go right out and do a thru with out ever doing a section.
Maybe not the majority, but there definitely are a lot of thru-hikers who have very little to no prior hiking / backpacking experience. And most hikers who attempt thru's don't finish, so if they continue hiking at some point they are sectioners. Just read the posts here on WB.

atmilkman
09-28-2011, 19:49
Agree with the screwed up wording and the key word being intended which means, meant, designed, etc. nothing really conclusive, nothing that says this is the rule. Leaves too much self interpretation. Agree, bad wording.

hikingshoes
09-28-2011, 19:53
Lets just go hiking and have some FUN!!! HYOH....HS

hikerboy57
09-28-2011, 20:18
I need ro get out more

mountainman
09-28-2011, 21:08
i'm a section hiker and i get equal respect from thur hikers. What I'm doing is very difficult. i have hiked 1800mi in 3 yrs. with my longest hike being 7 days. i've averaged about 20mpd but I'm slowing now now that I've reached the White Mountains. If i didn't need to work i would love to do a thur hike. My knees hurt a lot now, maybe being 65yrs old has something to do with it.

Chaco Taco
09-28-2011, 21:11
i'm a section hiker and i get equal respect from thur hikers. What I'm doing is very difficult. i have hiked 1800mi in 3 yrs. with my longest hike being 7 days. i've averaged about 20mpd but I'm slowing now now that I've reached the White Mountains. If i didn't need to work i would love to do a thur hike. My knees hurt a lot now, maybe being 65yrs old has something to do with it.
Dang, Id love to hike with you. Let me know when you are in the Whites;)

Start callin you Ironman

coach lou
09-28-2011, 21:20
Shelters are first come first serve. Period. If you can't deal with that concept, get a tent, tarp, or new-fangled Hammock. One wet cold nite on Mount Adams we had 23 bodys in that shelter, no pissin' and moanin'. It was also quite a smorgasbord for dinner! Only 2 bad times in 40yrs on AT, once in Pine Grove Furnace, and once in Bourne Pond.... thrus coming in late, after everyone had turned in, woke everyone up settin' them selves up. Not very considerate of us sections and wkenders.

Chaco Taco
09-28-2011, 21:24
Shelters are first come first serve. Period. If you can't deal with that concept, get a tent, tarp, or new-fangled Hammock. One wet cold nite on Mount Adams we had 23 bodys in that shelter, no pissin' and moanin'. It was also quite a smorgasbord for dinner! Only 2 bad times in 40yrs on AT, once in Pine Grove Furnace, and once in Bourne Pond.... thrus coming in late, after everyone had turned in, woke everyone up settin' them selves up. Not very considerate of us sections and wkenders.

Mt Adams? The Perch?

coach lou
09-28-2011, 21:31
The Perch, with composting head!

CrumbSnatcher
09-28-2011, 22:27
-----------------------------------------

CowHead
09-28-2011, 22:57
With every group of people there are those who think they're poo don't stink, and the rest just know they're full of S%$^T

wornoutboots
09-28-2011, 23:08
i was wondering when the entitlement thing would rear its ugly head.It gives section hikers a very poor view of thru hikers.

Unfortunatley I have seen this first hand on several occasions with thru hikers thinking that because they walk the same trail all at once that they are something special, it's comical really, you can spot those thru's a mile away & I just avoid them when staying at the same camp. Overall though it's all about any individual hikers attitude. And yes, the only thru hikers that I have noticed this with is the younger hikers, maybe they feel as though they haven't accomplished anything in life yet & need this to lift themselves up & just aren't mature yet?? It's really no big deal, it's a big trail & chances are the ones you don't want to associate with, you won't. It is interesting that I can say I've never seen a section hikers glorifying themselves for hiking a few hundred miles??

wornoutboots
09-28-2011, 23:33
Now that I think of it I have only hiked the Southern 400 miles of the trail & the only hikers with attitudes were the younger hikers who hadn't even made it to Damascus yet & have only been on the trail a month or two. I noticed though that the younger Thrus that I have hiked with sobo that have been on the trail for 1500+ miles have really friendly attitudes? Maybe like they say the trail will weed these aloof attitudes out? I wonder if it's just that the sobo hikers are just cooler folks :rolleyes: ??

daddytwosticks
09-29-2011, 07:18
I was told a long time ago that a thru-hike was just a bunch of section hikes all strung together, punctuated by nero and zero days. If so, then thru-hikers are really section hikers who never stop. :)

Jack Tarlin
09-29-2011, 08:28
Most people who truly love hiking do it all their lives. The "thru-hiking" part of a typical person's hiking life is relatively short......every thru-hiker was once a section hiker. And every thru-hiker, after their long trek, is most likely fated to become a section hiker once again, and that's what they'll be for years to come. And there are definitely some swollen-headed thru-hikers that would do well to reflect on this.

Tractor
09-29-2011, 08:48
Heard a story once: Two new fellows began to frequent a gas station in a small town. The owner asked one "How do you like it here?". "I don't like it much at all. Most of the people are hateful and don't like us one bit. This is no better than where we moved from." The owner asked the other new guy the same question. "We love it here! Everybody is friendly and helpful. We hope to stay but we sure do miss our old neighbors."

Sarcasm the elf
09-29-2011, 08:54
Heard a story once: Two new fellows began to frequent a gas station in a small town. The owner asked one "How do you like it here?". "I don't like it much at all. Most of the people are hateful and don't like us one bit. This is no better than where we moved from." The owner asked the other new guy the same question. "We love it here! Everybody is friendly and helpful. We hope to stay but we sure do miss our old neighbors."Well said, possibly the answer yet.

SassyWindsor
09-29-2011, 11:42
Until the "thru-hiker" has finished they too are a section hiker. Why the classification of hikers anyway, hiking is hiking. Never mattered to me, unless they interfere with my hike.

lilricky
09-29-2011, 12:03
i'm a section hiker and i get equal respect from thur hikers.
Yes, but do you get equal respect from the friday hikers? :D

Chaco Taco
09-29-2011, 12:04
Until the "thru-hiker" has finished they too are a section hiker. Why the classification of hikers anyway, hiking is hiking. Never mattered to me, unless they interfere with my hike.
Yahtzeeeee!

hikerboy57
09-29-2011, 14:03
Im in it strictly for the money.doesnt matter what you call me.

Mr. Toad
09-29-2011, 17:07
Can't we all just agree that thru hikers are demons from hell?

Was that so hard?

RITBlake
09-29-2011, 19:04
Pretty simple, thru hiking is cooler then section hiking. Section hiking is cooler then day hiking. Day hiking is better then working. Working is better then jail.

99% of thru hikers are good folk, but some let the mystique of thru hiking get to their head and think they're too cool for school.

RITBlake
09-29-2011, 19:15

I disagree. If you were watching a marathon race, and a runner dropped out due to injury do they suddenly become just a section runner? No they become a marathon runner who dropped out. Do all the runners of that race not become marathon runners until they cross the finish line?? Come on that's silly.

A thru hiker is a thru hiker in the act of thru hiking until they drop out and then it's a failed thru hike. Done.

09-29-2011, 19:43
In 40 years of hiking I have never really seen a real issue with this. Just my observation, I see folks attempting a thru look over a shelter and if it not raining, and if all there buddies are not there they keep moving or set up a tent nearby. They may ask "do you know if there are good campsites ahead"? Most long distance hikers attempting a thru, are very regimented they eat, look at there map or book and hit the hay. They seldom have the energy for confrontation and are mostly quiet. Early on up to about Virginia some are cocky but they mostly burnout, quit as the party is about over.

Mr. BuffaloMan
09-29-2011, 19:43
I tried to say more or less the exact same thing and was told to grow up;)
Good pointI know. I saw that and felt it was my resposibility to back you up. Some people just say silly things that just don't make no sense.:):rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
09-29-2011, 19:52
I know. I saw that and felt it was my resposibility to back you up. Some people just say silly things that just don't make no sense.:):rolleyes:

Typically I make no sense but I appreciate the back up:banana

CrumbSnatcher
09-29-2011, 22:16
Pretty simple, thru hiking is cooler then section hiking. Section hiking is cooler then day hiking. Day hiking is better then working. Working is better then jail.

99% of thru hikers are good folk, but some let the mystique of thru hiking get to their head and think they're too cool for school. :-) :-) :-) :-)

CrumbSnatcher
09-29-2011, 22:16
I disagree. If you were watching a marathon race, and a runner dropped out due to injury do they suddenly become just a section runner? No they become a marathon runner who dropped out. Do all the runners of that race not become marathon runners until they cross the finish line?? Come on that's silly.

A thru hiker is a thru hiker in the act of thru hiking until they drop out and then it's a failed thru hike. Done.nice to see someone else gets it!

CrumbSnatcher
09-29-2011, 22:22
i didn't give a hoot whether you were a thru,section,day hiker, trail angel,motel owner,hostel owner, a hitch to town,waitress,local or whatever! if we enjoyed a minute of time, or had a good laugh together? thanks :-)

atmilkman
09-29-2011, 22:25
i didn't give a hoot whether you were a thru,section,day hiker, trail angel,motel owner,hostel owner, a hitch to town,waitress,local or whatever! if we enjoyed a minute of time, or had a good laugh together? thanks :-)

Well put. Very well put. "The Bottom Line"

Chaco Taco
09-30-2011, 07:36
Well put. Very well put. "The Bottom Line"
Cuz Crumbsnatcher said so

tjforrester
09-30-2011, 08:58
I've thru-hiked the AT a couple of times, section-hiked it the same amount, so I've been on both sides of this issue. The "holier than thou" attitude is ego driven and exists because youth and superb conditioning separates the young male from the pack. Most section-hikers, on the other hand, are continually humbled on the climbs. This disparity blows up into an "us and them" mentality that manifests itself as an elitist attitude.

I don't stay at shelters but I eat at them, and I've watched thru-hikers exclude section-hikers from conversation. The question is why and I don't think that's so easy to answer. Sometimes I think the exclusion is unintentional, that thru-hikers are so focused on the trail and their friends that they fail to turn their attention elsewhere. Too, even though the thru-hiker and section-hiker are on the same trail, the difference--long term versus short term--makes for such a different experience that these two entities have little in common. (Think of the difference between a local who lives in Key West and a tourist.)

Anyway, just musing about this issue this morning . . . . I was young and self-centered at one time, think that's a genetic makeup that helps insure survival of the species. Hikers are fascinating people, and anyone who chooses not to interact because of differing lifestyles is missing out. When I thru-hike, I make it a point to meet and get to know the section-hikers. When I section-hike, I make it a point to meet and get to know the thru-hikers. Penetrating the insulating bubble around some of the thru-hikers is sometimes a bit difficult but once it bursts the person who emerges is pretty darn nice to be around. I love hikers, what can I say?

We are all humans in training, so let's not be too hard on each other.

hikerboy57
09-30-2011, 09:26
Its not thaty hard to understand the bond thrus share where they may even unintentionally exclude section hikers from conversation. Although Ive hiked most of the AT between DWG and ME, most of my time on the at has been in the whites, mostly in late july or august. sharing the same problems and hurdles that were overcome with people who started out as total strangers, having done some 17-1800 miles with one state left to go, well its easy for me to understand thrus may feel there is no way a section hiker can feel they way they do. My personal experience has been positive with all the thrus Ive met. I can respect their achievement, while I long for the day I'll complete it myself so I that can feel what you do.we've shared stories, ive shuttled thrus, given advice to SOBS entering the whites, and very rarely came across any who had an elitist attitude. as just noted above, when you're young and full of yourself, well....you're just young and full of yourself.
age and experience lead to greater tolerance of each other.

garlic08
09-30-2011, 09:44
You know just hang out with friends and don't sweat the petty things in life.

...and don't pet the sweaty things.

lemon b
09-30-2011, 09:45
This too shall pass. Some things have more to do with age difference and experience. Not to mention the time of life we are currently living.

OldFeet
09-30-2011, 09:58
I guess I've been lucky. I started hiking later in life and have done section hikes each of the last five years. During four of the five hikes I've met a number of thru hikers and pretty much without exception the experiences have been positive regardless of the thru-hiker's ages. This past year during my hike in PA I was fortunate enough to shelter with four thrus four nights in a row and always felt included in their conversations and never felt like I was being looked down on as an inferior form of hiker. The fact is there are all sorts of people on the trail and the ones who are jerks there were probably jerks before they began their hike.

Hoofit
09-30-2011, 10:43
A lot of section hikers are 'wanna be' thru-hikers who just couldn't stick with it, either for financial reasons, injury, willpower or just decided that it wasn't for them. Nothing wrong with that, at least they gave it a shot...
The self- congratulating thru-hikers are usually off the trail fairly early. Those that stay mostly mellow out and are more congenital. It's not right to put all thru-hikers in the same backpack as so many are good people without an attitude.
(P.S. Spot the mistake...)

4eyedbuzzard
09-30-2011, 11:45
A lot of section hikers are 'wanna be' thru-hikers who just couldn't stick with it, either for financial reasons, injury, willpower or just decided that it wasn't for them. Nothing wrong with that, at least they gave it a shot...
The self- congratulating thru-hikers are usually off the trail fairly early. Those that stay mostly mellow out and are more congenital. It's not right to put all thru-hikers in the same backpack as so many are good people without an attitude.
(P.S. Spot the mistake...)
Yeah, the nice ones are usually just born that way. ;)

sbhikes
09-30-2011, 15:28
I've been on the thru-hiker side and the section-hiker side. As a section hiker, I like to meet the thru-hikers and ask them how their hikes are going. If they were former AT hikers (now on the PCT) I like to ask them how they're enjoying the So Cal desert. I don't think I've met anyone yet who wasn't loving it. Just about everyone I've met has been really friendly, kind and grateful in attitude. As someone who has hiked the whole trail, I'll usually give them some insider knowledge of what's ahead. They usually appreciate that. If they seem extra nice, I'll tell them about my mom the trail angel at the half-way point. If they are nasty, I'll tell my mom about them instead. :p Everyone should know that the trail angels (on the PCT at least) aren't stupid. They're connected, the gossip flies between them. My mom will email me and ask if I've met so-and-so. If you're an entitled jerkface, I'll tell her. The news of you will get ahead of you up the trail some way or another.

Old Hiker
09-30-2011, 17:03
Can't we all just agree that thru hikers are demons from hell?

Was that so hard?

OMG!!! MY MOTHER-IN-LAW IS ON THE TRAIL!?!?!?!? :eek:

SassyWindsor
10-01-2011, 00:21

A thru hiker is a thru hiker in the act of thru hiking until they drop out and then it's a failed thru hike. Done.

Ifl hiking was a competition I would tend to agree.

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2011, 00:25
Ifl hiking was a competition I would tend to agree.Apparently it is to some.

the_iceman
10-01-2011, 09:04
Thru hikers and section hiklers should have no problem. I remember asking Wishbone in 2007, are you a thru hiker or a section hiker. He said we are all section hikers until we summit Katahdin. Everyone has a right to use the trail and the shelters for what they were designed for. Section hilers do fill shelters in popular places on weekends but also often share the great food they have brought in and tend to give away what is left. Ask a thru hiker if he wants free food?

The problem is more the party hikers who hike into a shelter with lots of booze and/or weed and take over a peaceful place. I sure we did it a few times in high school since I grew up in a trail town and there were several lean-to's we could get to on a forest road.

On the other hand on the southern parts of the trail before Trail Days we often had so called Thru-hikers party loudly and trash a few places. They eventually ran out of money and ambition and left the trail.

It is much harder to section hike. Before my thru in 07 my brother and I had seciton hiked from Katahdin to the Hudson river on weekends, long weekends, vacations, and what ever time we could find. The first day was great becuase of the excitement. The second day you suffered. The morning of the third day you were stiff but felt good by noon. The forth day you felt good but it was time to go home.

RITBlake
01-11-2012, 15:38
Ifl hiking was a competition I would tend to agree.

I was speaking more metaphorically then literally

But while we're on the topic, most of the people who succeed in a thru hike have a competitive streak. Or a stubborn streak. Or a crazy streak. Sometimes all three streaks.

KeyWest
01-11-2012, 15:51
It's a law of nature that every man believes his burden is the greatest.

In that vein, every hiker thinks they're doing it the "right way" or the "hard way."

The truth is, thru hiking and section hiking are different experiences. In a sentence, I would say section hikers get more out of the trail while thru hikers get more out of the journey.

bamboo bob
01-11-2012, 15:58
I have thru-hiked and also section hiked the entire AT. I think section hiking is harder because you must deal with seemingly endless logistics. But it's also nice because you get to go home. As a thru-hiker I really hated when people said " oh I'm only sectioning" It's all good. BUT I always made it a point, especially up north to let thru-hikers know that I thru-hiked and they are only thru-hiking. That was so I wouldn't have to listen to their pontificating about the trail. I made them listen to my pontificating about how everything was better in the old days. :)

JAK
01-11-2012, 16:04
I like all hikers, even the yuppee ones. Can't judge a book by its cover.

Lyle
01-11-2012, 16:12

I'll admit, I haven't read this entire thread yet, but one of the reasons for this is that quite a number of the service providers along the trail make the distinction and do offer more to the thru hikers if they know. This is true from the GSMNP with their alternate thru-hiker rules, to motels that offer "thru-hiker" rates, to hostels that close their doors once the bulk of thru-hikers are past. It's not all that surprising that new thru-hikers get to believe that they are special and privileged, that's how they are treated officially.