PDA

View Full Version : Durango to Denver

Root_Down
09-27-2011, 21:14
I was able to do the JMT this summer using only public transportation. Now I'm tossing around the idea of doing the CT next summer. How difficult is it to reach the trailhead outside of Denver and also is it possible to get from Durango back to Denver using public transportation? Greyhound no longer runs but I understand there are smaller regional bus lines but I am having trouble tracking this info down. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Root_Down
09-28-2011, 10:56
Ok well, after a little more research I've answered my own questions. Looks like getting somewhat close to the trailhead outside of Denver is fairly simple and it looks like flights out of Durango back east are the same price as doing a round trip out or Denver.

How difficult is it to get to the airport from downtown Durango? taxi, hitch, etc.?

thejackal
09-28-2011, 13:31
I took the airport bus from Denver to some transit center. A CT enthusiast (trailguy) I met via www.trailforums.com picked me up, drove me to a taco bell and then a gas station to buy some heet. He then drove me to the trailhead and hiked the first five miles with me. Very very cool guy. If I remember correctly, he was a part of some Waterton Canyon group that somewhat regularly did this for hikers.

I think a taxi to the Durango airport from the hostel is $15 or $20.

Root_Down
09-29-2011, 17:19
Thanks for the heads up. Logistics look pretty straight forward.

Tyler
10-02-2011, 10:32
I did exactly the same as thejackal minus the Taco Bell.

I can certainly recommend "trailguy" too...great guy!