PDA

View Full Version : tyvek

OBXWaMi
09-27-2011, 21:24
Read in several places how wonderful this stuff is. I was driving past a construction site today and saw some guys using it. I talked them into giving me a piece. 6ftx8ft.

Other than making a footprint for my tent, what else is this stuff good for? :-? Could I sew a pack cover? or a rain suit? Since it is so light could I make a huge tarp by adding gromets at the corners?

It looks to me like the possibilities are nearly endless......btw, I put a request on FreeCycle for another piece.

--Michelle

Chaco Taco
09-27-2011, 21:27
Read in several places how wonderful this stuff is. I was driving past a construction site today and saw some guys using it. I talked them into giving me a piece. 6ftx8ft.

Other than making a footprint for my tent, what else is this stuff good for? :-? Could I sew a pack cover? or a rain suit? Since it is so light could I make a huge tarp by adding gromets at the corners?

It looks to me like the possibilities are nearly endless......btw, I put a request on FreeCycle for another piece.

--Michelle

Jester made a twister board with his tyvek

Spokes
09-27-2011, 22:00
Wind chimes.

Traildog & Tbone
09-27-2011, 23:13
Oil it up & use it as a slip & slide! I worked at an 84 lumber yard few years back & we made a huge Tipi out of it, worked better than some of the tents I used to own.

4eyedbuzzard
09-28-2011, 00:06
There are many types of tyvek. The stuff used for clothing is much softer and less crinkly and less abrasive than the house construction stuff. The soft stuff makes much nicer ground cloths and tarps.

jeramie75
09-28-2011, 14:10
Even the construction stuff (crinkly) is good. It becomes more pliable with use.

wwbriggs
10-03-2011, 03:15
Marathon Runners and Adventure Race Enthusiasts use it for wind shirts, jackets, pants, and a variety of other things. I think it could make a great lightweight shelter/tarp that is lightweight for emergencies much like you would use a piece of cuben, but not nearly as durable I think. I use mine as a ground blanket when sitting if it is damp, or laying around the campfire. I want to make a down and dirty bivy cover to keep in my day pack for all of the above and use it if I decide to crash for the night. Get creative, it is a wonderful lightweight material. I personally like the Kite material better as it is soft, yet strong.

Panzer1
10-03-2011, 07:52
Ground tarps seems to be its best use as far as hikers are concerned.

Pioneer Spirit
10-03-2011, 09:35
You make a nice cut to fit foot print for your Hubba. Then when you get on the trail realize you brought the negative scrap piece instead.

sbhikes
10-03-2011, 14:23
People on the backpacking light site have made a number of nice bivy sacks. I think the Tarptent Moment comes in tyvek. And wasn't there a barefoot hiker with all tyvek gear on the AT a number of years ago? Yeah, here's a picture I found of him. Everything he's got is tyvek!

fireneck
10-03-2011, 15:06
When I cut my footprint for me tent I am going sew a pocket on the bottom that my sleeping bag can fit into...similar to a bivy sack. That way I can slip my bag into it incase I'm sleeping in a shelter with heavy rains.

smokeeater908
10-12-2011, 18:30
I use it for a footprint under my hammock.

CrumbSnatcher
10-12-2011, 18:39
tyvek is water resistant not waterproof

Franco
10-12-2011, 18:39
Tyvek, Tyvek...
Tyvek is a brand not a single product
The bit from a construction site would be a type of Homewrap, the Tyvek used by marathon runners and Tarptent is of the soft (clothing) type, softer, a lot more breathable but less waterproof.
BTW the Tarptent available in Tyvek is the Sublite, great for hot and or humid weather not recommended if prolonged heavy rains are the sort of weather you expect.
Franco

CrumbSnatcher
10-12-2011, 18:59
sorry, tyvek homewrap is not waterproof :-)
its meant to be fastened to your house, vertically, and the water runs off of it.

CrumbSnatcher
10-12-2011, 19:00
best ground cloth i ever used was the clear plastic with the reinforced yarn weaved into it.

kayak karl
10-12-2011, 19:50
sorry, tyvek homewrap is not waterproof :-)
its meant to be fastened to your house, vertically, and the water runs off of it.
fill a piece with water. hang it in your tub and see how long it holds water. mine was 7 days no drips????
,but i guest your in the construction field like me and know what your talking about :)

Slo-go'en
10-12-2011, 20:02
Flipping through a UNLINE catalog (they sell mostly shipping supplies), I found they carry Tyvek protective clothing - and it's not too expensive. I'm thinking of getting the lab coat. ($5.00 each, min order of 5) They also have sleeves (keep your arms dry if you use a poncho for rain gear) and pants. The coverall with hood might be good for extream conditions.

Slo-go'en
10-12-2011, 20:04
Opps, that ULINE...

Franco
10-12-2011, 20:05
CrumbSnatcher
To put it another way...
clothing Tyvek is less water resistant but breathes better than Homewrap and other types of Tyvek .
I was just pointing out that the comments one one type may not apply to another.
Franco

CrumbSnatcher
10-12-2011, 21:03
fill a piece with water. hang it in your tub and see how long it holds water. mine was 7 days no drips????
,but i guest your in the construction field like me and know what your talking about :)good bricklayer, don't know much about anything else.
maybe it is waterproof?, on houses its more about application, i would guess, how good&tight you can apply it. and with all the staples and nails that get driven thru it on the houses :-)
your better off in the woods with tyvek :-)

CrumbSnatcher
10-12-2011, 21:08
CrumbSnatcher
To put it another way...
clothing Tyvek is less water resistant but breathes better than Homewrap and other types of Tyvek .
I was just pointing out that the comments one one type may not apply to another.
Francoits all good :cool: i was just NOT minding my own buisness. i should be flogged or beaten or banned from WB. something
i hike with externals and still carry a water filter :eek: what the hell do i know?:D

CrumbSnatcher
10-12-2011, 21:10
your better off in the woods with tyvek :-)i meant to say "the tyvek is better off in the woods" :-)

Papa D
10-12-2011, 22:28
I paint a chess and checker board on my ground sheet - you could paint monopoly or whatever. Good stuff.

Fireweed
10-13-2011, 06:32
It's just handy when you need a quick ground cloth or shelter cloth. Less bulky than Insolite ((yeah, I'm old enough to remember Insolite)

Cloudynesz
10-17-2011, 13:10
Just ordered a few feet of this fabric as footprint. Will wait to see how good is this fabric to be backpack cover.

4eyedbuzzard
10-17-2011, 17:18
It's just handy when you need a quick ground cloth or shelter cloth. Less bulky than Insolite ((yeah, I'm old enough to remember Insolite)The blue pads at WM are basically Ensolite, which is just Armacell's brand name for its line of closed cell foams. So it's still around, a bit improved from the 70's, and is doing very well.

Moose2001
10-17-2011, 18:12
If you run your tyvek through a cylce in your washing machine, it'll come out nice and soft. Forget the crinkles.

Creepwood
10-28-2011, 20:13
I used mine for a hitchiking message board

LDog
10-28-2011, 21:09
I just purchased some Tyvek type 1443R, and some 1/4" Seamstick tape from Into The Wind via Amazon. The Tyvek is $3.50 a yard for 60" wide material plus $6 shipping. The tape is dbl-sided, and I understand makes a good bond w/o sewing. I made a 5' x 8' ground cloth with all edges hemmed with the tape, and it weighs 5.75 ozs. Got a bunch of leftovers for other projects.

Tyvek 1443R: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TO4QVA
Seamstick: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TX47YC (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TX47YC/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details)

Here is the self-proclaimed definitive guide to Tyvek: http://www.teamgunnparker.com/software/pdf/Definitive_Tyvek_Article.pdf