PDA

View Full Version : Solo VS 2 Person Tent and Suggestions

bwillits
09-27-2011, 23:26
I can not decide whether to go with a solo/one man tent or to go with a 2 person tent. The rest of this season I will be hiking alone and I could always buy a larger tent next year if I hiked with friends. I want to keep the weight as low as possible. I think I have decided that a freestanding tent is the way to go. Also if I go with a 2 person tent I have been told to go with one that has 2 doors and 2 vestibules. I would also like to be able to use the rain fly and the footprint for ultralight trips.

I can buy a larger tent later so this tent is more for myself but I want plenty of room and it may be beneficial to have the extra room just in case I had to squeeze one more person in. Any suggestions as far as solo or two man would be appreciated as well as tent brands, models, specs, and things to be mindful of.

Chubbs4U
09-27-2011, 23:34
I wont answer your question cause I dont have enough info yet. What I will ask is how much do you want to spend? How much do you want it to weigh? How big are you? Also search the forums cause all of us have made this same thread. Good luck.

guessing 17 posts til someone gets you off the ground.

bwillits
09-27-2011, 23:45
I hate to say money isn't an issue bc I want to spend as little as possible but if it costs more for better quality, lighter, etc then I'll do it. Same with weight, I want as light as I can get but still being functional and convenient. If I was just looking for light weight I'd be going with "The One" by Gossamer Gear. I'm 6' tall 160 lbs.

XCskiNYC
09-28-2011, 01:48
Don't worry about fitting another person (unless you have actual plans to hike with somebody). If your intention is going solo just get a solo tent. Some tents are snug so you might go with the 2-person version, like the Big Agnes Fly Creek. There are light tents that are moderately priced (Tarptents for example).

Big Dawg
09-28-2011, 02:35
A 2 person, 2 door, 2 vestibule tent is overated. If it's just you most of the time, then a solo shelter would serve you well. Also consider that a 2p, 2d, 2v tent has a big footprint. A small footprinted solo shelter will allow you more campsite options. I'm a big guy... 6'5" 250+ lbs, and I own a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, a Tarptent Double Rainbow, and a Tarptent Moment. I've found that the Moment works for me most of the time. Small footprint, but big enough for me and my gear inside. Lightweight,, just over 2 lbs. And not too expensive. There are other tents that fit these parameters, but for me, the Moment is righteous! I have the liner, which gives me double wall protection for just a few more ounces.

LIhikers
09-28-2011, 22:15
For a single person tent with plenty of room let me suggest the Rainbow by Tarptent.
It can be freestanding or staked out and is big enough to squeeze in a second person in an emergency.
See the tarptent website for details.

Blissful
09-28-2011, 22:31
MSR hubba solo would be too small for you, I know. The hubbas are my choice. I like the hubba hubba but that's a lot of weight for solo hiking. If it's just you, even a non freestanding 2 man Tarptent for 2 lbs would be good. The only reason I went to the hubba solo is b/c I had a hard time in certain terrain anchoring the tent well. Esp in wind. Condensation for one man is not a big issue, but for two men in it, it would be.

skinewmexico
09-28-2011, 22:50
Get both. You can never have too many tents. And I'm guessing #14.

Chubbs4U
09-28-2011, 23:30
A 2 person, 2 door, 2 vestibule tent is overated. If it's just you most of the time, then a solo shelter would serve you well. Also consider that a 2p, 2d, 2v tent has a big footprint. A small footprinted solo shelter will allow you more campsite options. I'm a big guy... 6'5" 250+ lbs, and I own a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, a Tarptent Double Rainbow, and a Tarptent Moment. I've found that the Moment works for me most of the time. Small footprint, but big enough for me and my gear inside. Lightweight,, just over 2 lbs. And not too expensive. There are other tents that fit these parameters, but for me, the Moment is righteous! I have the liner, which gives me double wall protection for just a few more ounces.

Im shorter and a little lighter but may I ask why you went with all 3? What do you use the most, the least, which could you give up? I once had this question and ended up with a rainbow that I love. I do like the idea of 2 doors though. Also check out Skyscape X.

Big Dawg
09-29-2011, 01:38
Im shorter and a little lighter but may I ask why you went with all 3? What do you use the most, the least, which could you give up? I once had this question and ended up with a rainbow that I love. I do like the idea of 2 doors though. Also check out Skyscape X.

why all 3? because I have a gear addiction,, haha. Seriously,, they were bought at different times. The D.Rainbow was bought first, then the BA Copper Spur2. These were bought while I still felt it was necessary to have a 2 man tent. Before the DR, I had a Eureka Backcountry2 and K2 XT,,, before that was a Walmart special. In the last few years, I've been lightening the load, and was looking for something smaller. Along came the Moment, and I fell in love. I realize now I don't really need 2 doors/vestibules. The only time I really use the 2 man tents are when I'm on a "camping" trip, not a "hiking" trip, especially if I'm sharing my tent w/ someone. In those cases, I prefer the BA Copper Spur2. I could give up the DR.

wwbriggs
09-29-2011, 04:00
I have been in the same boat. I have several tents: Eureka 2 man, 3 man, and Solitaire; as well as an REI Bivy. I wanted to get my weight down but remain dry and comfortable on a long hike. I like the TarpTent Rainbow as someone pointed out above. I have slept under the stars and in a bag covered wrapped in a tarp during heavy snow. i found that I was warm and dry no matter what the circumstances as I chose my bag, location, and cover properly. That all being said, I choose to go the Tarp and Bug Net Route. I liked how the BearPaw Wilderness Designs options came together for me. I ordered a Canopy 2 Tarp and a NetTent which John at BPWD custom fitted with Cuben in a 1.5 man NetTent to keep my size and weight down. This setup should give me more room as I am a big guy (6'1 230). I can also accommodate a smaller visitor as I have two young sons and a dog of which one may come along for a longer trip, but most ofter not. If the gang were to come, then we would split out the two or three man tent to share the load. Hope this helps.

gearfreak
09-29-2011, 09:09
I also wanted a little extra space without gaining too much additional weight and opted for the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2. I've been really satisfied with this tent over the past five years and only have one complaint - the entry. The "tunnel" style is kind of a pain in the neck sometimes; crawl in, turnaround, reverse to exit. That said, it is very stable and quiet when it's really windy and the foot end is pointed into the wind.

Nutbrown
09-29-2011, 09:30
Get a one person. Sleeping with someone in your tight 2 person stinks...literally. Unless of course you will be doing more than sleeping...

tnwolf51
09-29-2011, 14:54
ozark mountain 2-person 7x7 all i need to say

solobip
09-29-2011, 14:59
For a solo have you looked into Lightheart's SoLong tent? Her 2 person tent weighs less than most solo's. Seeing you height, I just thought of the Lightheart SoLong,

mykl
09-29-2011, 16:41
I used to be all about having a 2 person tent. But after some time and realization, I don't need one that bog for solo trips. I'm pretty much in the tent to sleep and wait out rain/bad weather.
As mentioned, a 2 person tent has a bigger footprint and might limit your options on were to pitch. And saving the extra weight is nice when you don't need it.
Granted I still take one of my many 2 person tents out on short solo trips. When I go with my GF I take a 2 person. Her and the dogs, a 3 person.
Maybe just start collecting tents. Works for me.

scope
09-29-2011, 16:43
I can not decide whether to go with a solo/one man tent or to go with a 2 person tent... I want to keep the weight as low as possible... I think I have decided that a freestanding tent is the way to go... if I go with a 2 person tent I have been told to go with one that has 2 doors and 2 vestibules... I would also like to be able to use the rain fly and the footprint for ultralight trips.

This sounds exactly like me several years ago. If indeed you are like me, then you'll probably be reluctant as I was to consider what my ultimate resolution was... a hammock.

Chubbs4U
09-29-2011, 16:56
Not sure if he did it on purpose but 17 on the nose.

atmilkman
09-29-2011, 23:27
Not sure if he did it on purpose but 17 on the nose.
C'mon Chubbs! You and Scope are in this together. What's the split on the pot? 50-50?

Chubbs4U
09-30-2011, 00:31
C'mon Chubbs! You and Scope are in this together. What's the split on the pot? 50-50?

LOL I do not know scope but I do think he did it so that I was right. For the record there was no collusion.

bwillits
09-30-2011, 12:00
I've been so busy working I haven't been on lately. Shocked to see the large amount of responses. I'm def checking into all the options you all mentioned. I'm starting to think that having several is the way to go. Probably going with the solo for now, getting a 2 person in the spring as well as a hammock. Now I just have to decide which one. Thanks for all the help.

Ladytrekker
09-30-2011, 12:26
why all 3? because I have a gear addiction,, haha. Seriously,, they were bought at different times. The D.Rainbow was bought first, then the BA Copper Spur2. These were bought while I still felt it was necessary to have a 2 man tent. Before the DR, I had a Eureka Backcountry2 and K2 XT,,, before that was a Walmart special. In the last few years, I've been lightening the load, and was looking for something smaller. Along came the Moment, and I fell in love. I realize now I don't really need 2 doors/vestibules. The only time I really use the 2 man tents are when I'm on a "camping" trip, not a "hiking" trip, especially if I'm sharing my tent w/ someone. In those cases, I prefer the BA Copper Spur2. I could give up the DR.

Hey on the moment if you will indulge me with a few questions: Have you put it up in the rain the reason I am attracted to the tarpents is the attached fly I would think that it would work well in bad weather. And you say there is enough room for you and gear and can you sit up in it. I am very interested in this tent. I have been torn between tarptent and lightheart.

Thanks

scope
10-04-2011, 18:17

What does that net me, 50 cents? Don't think I could have done 17 on the nose if I was trying. Good call, Chubbs.

paistes5
10-04-2011, 23:34
Go with a solo tent. I started with a Eureka two person tent and love it for two people. Yes, it's heavy but we split the load up a bit which helps keep the pack weight down. Plenty of room in the thing too.

Went on a solo trip for 5 days and brought that tent with me. Within a week of coming home I purchased a BA Lynx Pass and swore I'd never carry a two person tent again. It gets heavy after a couple days out.

Lando11
10-05-2011, 01:20
Get a one person. Sleeping with someone in your tight 2 person stinks...literally. Unless of course you will be doing more than sleeping...

very true. dont sleep with a "hiking partner" unless you are inside of them. otherwise, solo tent. also, there is no such thing as a UL free standing tent. you need to think what is more important, weight or convenience. a msr hubba like tent is very simple, but heavy( 3+lbs) tarp tents are light (<2lbs) but will not keep you 100%dry( light misting at best in heavy rain).

scope
10-05-2011, 09:25
Exactly! Its these same compromises that led me to finally consider a hammock, whereas I was pretty dead set against doing that initially.

"inside of them" - that's a little crass, isn't it? :)

cabbagehead
03-12-2012, 17:10
I have a Eureka Solitaire (Canadian version). I think it's 4' wide. You could probably fit 2 people in it. It doesn't have the large vestibule that I would like for storing shoes under.

jeffmeh
03-12-2012, 20:18
Tarptent Rainbow is free-standing with trekking poles....

grateful 2
03-12-2012, 20:24
+1 on Lightheart solong 6 . I love mine. (I have 2 big agnes, 2 MSR, 1 nemo obi, 1 shangrila, 1 eureka, and i sierra ddesigns, and I like the LightHeart best.) Lightest and most room.

For a solo have you looked into Lightheart's SoLong tent? Her 2 person tent weighs less than most solo's. Seeing you height, I just thought of the Lightheart SoLong,

earlyriser26
03-12-2012, 21:31
Carry the extra pound and take a 2 person free standing tent. You get a hell of alot of utility for that pound.

tuswm
03-13-2012, 16:12
Carry the extra pound and take a 2 person free standing tent. You get a hell of alot of utility for that pound.

I like the double rainbow. For the weight of most solo tents from REI you get a free standing 2 doors 2 vestibules and plenty or room. and for another 2 dollars and 37 cents for a huge camping tent from Walmart.

Derek81pci
03-13-2012, 16:18
This is an awesome tent, I'm 6'0, 156lbs. Plenty of room for me. I also can fit my larger than normal pack in the vest. I believe I could squeeze a smaller build person in with me... but it would be very snug :)

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23889

When I bought mine it was on sale for $89. Looks like it went up a little bit to $120, free shipping. Decent weight for me, not all about UL in some ways.

Rasty
03-13-2012, 16:22
Tarptent Double Rainbow is luxurious as a one person and comfortable for two. More condensation with two in the tent but nothing unmanageable. No condensation when solo in about twenty nights use. At 40ounces its a good compromise for a limited budget and hiking solo half the time and with someone else the remainder.

bigcranky
03-14-2012, 07:17

Sorry, but for a solo hiker I disagree. What extra utility? My solo tent has plenty of room for me and my gear; I can sit up, change clothes, cook in the vestibule, and stay warm and dry in bad weather. At my age and marital status I don't need any extra room for an unexpected, er, companion, though in a serious emergency I could get a second person inside.

That extra pound has to be carried up and down the mountains all the way to Maine. It adds up. I'd rather have another pound of food.

Dawg
03-14-2012, 15:03
Has anyone used the Stephenson's Warmlite two person tent? Pricey, but it seems to me it could be a good compromise of weight (2.5-3 pounds), size and sturdiness.

nevergoshort
03-20-2012, 11:12
I'm in the same boat and opinions are all over the map. Since money isn't the driving issue I would say go for the 2 person tent. The reason being, buying a 1 person and being cramped would be no fun. For a little more $$ over a solo you can get a two person and if you go with one of the UL options, there is no weight penalty, in fact the 2 person UL is lighter than a solo tent in a lot of cases. Also think resale. You buy a 1 person and then want to upgrade, what's the market for a used 1 person tent? And if you ever take a companion, then you have the room. I have been looking at the options from MLD, SMD, Tarptent and LightHeart. These are all UL options, but extremely roomy and all sub 2lb for a 2 person...