PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for 2012 Thru - Relative Newbie

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 01:11
Here is the Google Doc containing categories and gear:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByH-BS2JgBxgMzY2ZDZmMWEtOTQ5Ni00ZDI4LTllY2QtNGMzYmVkYW IzYTQw&hl=en_US

This is a tentative list and I know critique'rs like to see weights on things but I didn't take this quite that far. Once I finalize I plan on posting a complete list with weights. Right now I own the tent, sleeping bag, pad, pack, and jacket so I'm less likely to make a change there. I'm trying to go somewhat UL.

My start date is May 5th, NOBO. I will probably end up sending some of the warmer clothes home once summer hits full swing.

Let me know that you think! Any advice welcome! I love getting help with things and love opinions :banana

Thanks,

Ryan

Chaco Taco
09-28-2011, 08:11
Here is the Google Doc containing categories and gear:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByH-BS2JgBxgMzY2ZDZmMWEtOTQ5Ni00ZDI4LTllY2QtNGMzYmVkYW IzYTQw&hl=en_US

This is a tentative list and I know critique'rs like to see weights on things but I didn't take this quite that far. Once I finalize I plan on posting a complete list with weights. Right now I own the tent, sleeping bag, pad, pack, and jacket so I'm less likely to make a change there. I'm trying to go somewhat UL.

My start date is May 5th, NOBO. I will probably end up sending some of the warmer clothes home once summer hits full swing.

Let me know that you think! Any advice welcome! I love getting help with things and love opinions :banana

Thanks,

Ryan

Looks good to me.

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 09:08
Really i'm looking for advice before I go out and buy the rest of this stuff this winter. If this seems adequate though I guess I'm on my way.

Fog Horn
09-28-2011, 09:25
I'm mouthy and opinionated, but I cannot see it at work. Good luck to you though! And just remember, that while it might be great on paper you'll only know if its for you when you try it out. I've gone through two jackets and four pairs of shorts, lol

Chaco Taco
09-28-2011, 09:45
do you have a ground cloth?

Whats the plastic bowl for? Just curious

Blissful
09-28-2011, 10:21
There's no reason to cut your toothbrush in half. I have done it and I couldn't brush correctly. And a bad mouth can give you issues. It isn't worth the .0002 ounce you supposedly save. I also think its good to take some dental floss - good for mouth and for sewing needs. Also a needle. I like to carry in my first aid kit some antibiotic cream and anti itch stuff. I also tend to carry a 2 inch ace wrap, have needed it many times like with calf issues (not just ankle), but that is optional.

If you plan to go in hotter weather in the mid Atlantic I'd take a 3 liter playtpus. Also good at camp to get the water you need

I would still take a pack cover, that's me.

May have chafing issues with compression shorts

Not enough socks, imo. Blisters are gonna be an issue in the season you are going

maps

might consider a small swifss army - I liked the scissors for trimming, cutting duct tape

Ironbelly
09-28-2011, 11:24
If your trying to go UL here are some thoughts, along with some general thoughts:

Ditch the canister stove and go with an alcohol stove.
Ditch the plastic bowl, just use your cooking pot to eat out of.
Recommend adding to your first aid kit/hygiene kit dental floss, a sewing needle, and a small thing of antibiotic cream/ointment, and either soap or hand sanitizer. The easiest way to get sick or get a bad case of the runs is poor hygiene on the trail. Dental floss can be used for hygiene as well as sewing for repairs. Needle is for sewing and draining blisters. antibiotic is good to have on long hikes because it is easy for cuts/scrapes to get infected.
Sunblock is not really needed, especially since you have a cap. It is called the long green tunnel for a reason.
Extra batteries for headlamp?
Recommend having a 3rd pair of socks.
It can still be a little chilly at times, you might want a thin pair of gloves.
Recommend having a compass, even if its just a cheap little button one.

Other than that looks good.

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 11:31
I do not have a ground cloth but I do have the UL floor in the Lunar Solo, so I have thought about bringing one. However, I have heard using duct tape is a quick fix for any holes in the tent floor and many claim to have thru hiked without one and never had a problem. Still not sure how I will approach it though.

Bowl for eating out of, I guess I could scrap that. I have burnt myself before trying to eat out of the pot I just cooked in though.

Antibiotic cream and pack cover are two things I will probably be taking. I have a pack cover and forgot to list it.

My compression shorts seem to reduce chafing? They are tight and prevent my legs from rubbing skin against skin together. When I wear just running shorts with a liner or boxers is when I tend to chafe.

Thanks for these insights!

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 11:45
If your trying to go UL here are some thoughts, along with some general thoughts:

Ditch the canister stove and go with an alcohol stove.
Ditch the plastic bowl, just use your cooking pot to eat out of.
Recommend adding to your first aid kit/hygiene kit dental floss, a sewing needle, and a small thing of antibiotic cream/ointment, and either soap or hand sanitizer. The easiest way to get sick or get a bad case of the runs is poor hygiene on the trail. Dental floss can be used for hygiene as well as sewing for repairs. Needle is for sewing and draining blisters. antibiotic is good to have on long hikes because it is easy for cuts/scrapes to get infected.
Sunblock is not really needed, especially since you have a cap. It is called the long green tunnel for a reason.
Extra batteries for headlamp?
Recommend having a 3rd pair of socks.
It can still be a little chilly at times, you might want a thin pair of gloves.
Recommend having a compass, even if its just a cheap little button one.

Other than that looks good.

Thanks Ironbelly. Have made some changes with this. Most importantly ditching the bowl, adding antibiotic cream, adding batteries (i would have thought of these later probably, just slipped my mind last night when I made this). Still not sure if I'm carrying sanitizer though. Are there really that many diseases that can get on my hands? I'm at A huge university right now and don't use it, that seems more risky to me. Decisions, decisions!

JenHikes
09-28-2011, 11:52
It looks like we have a lot of same gear. As long as you've done any kind of backpacking before with that list of gear and you know it works for you, then I say awesome. If you haven't gone with that gear before, make sure you try it out more than a few times between now and then. Good luck next year (I'm a 2012-er too!)

JenHikes
09-28-2011, 11:53
In regard to the sanitizer, yeah... It's not a bad idea, especially if you're sharing snacks with other people. Staph infections can be NASTY!

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 12:26
If you were to decide between ditching the hat or the sunscreen, which would it be? Hat seems easier to put on, also could be used to keep rain out of eyes. Sunscreen seems more protective though. I'm just not sure if I would even apply it if I had it. Plus sweat is one thing, I'm all down for being smelly, but idk if I want sunscreen smell in my sleeping bag mixed with hiker funk. That might be pushing it.

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 12:32
Slightly updated list:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByH-BS2JgBxgNjc3NDZlZmQtOTQ1Mi00ODc1LWJhYmEtNThlNWY0N2 NlZmMy&hl=en_US

yappy
09-28-2011, 13:13
Keep the hat lose the sun screen

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 15:00
Keep the hat lose the sun screen

ahh tis done!

Ironbelly
09-28-2011, 15:31
In regards to the hand sanitier/soap. The difference between you being at a university and living on the trail is that you probably take a shower every day at the university. You i presume wash your hands after you use the bathroom, and maybe even wash your hands before you eat.

Living on the trail your hands will always be dirty, bacteria adds up, and its very easy to get sick if your not careful. You might not, but if you do, you will never again leave home without sanitizer i gurantee you that! Seriously, a 1oz thing of travel hand sanitizer isn't worth a horrible case of the runs for days on end.

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 15:42
In regards to the hand sanitier/soap. The difference between you being at a university and living on the trail is that you probably take a shower every day at the university. You i presume wash your hands after you use the bathroom, and maybe even wash your hands before you eat.

Living on the trail your hands will always be dirty, bacteria adds up, and its very easy to get sick if your not careful. You might not, but if you do, you will never again leave home without sanitizer i gurantee you that! Seriously, a 1oz thing of travel hand sanitizer isn't worth a horrible case of the runs for days on end.

I see... Sanitizer added!

Spokes
09-28-2011, 15:54
Looks like a great gear list to me. You may find yourself switching over to an alchy stove- no worries. As far as your cord goes you really only need 2mm cord for bear bagging (add a couple large plastic Black Diamond carabiners). Make up a 10 ft. clothes line out of the same cord for drying your wet stuff in the shelter too.

Cheers!

English Stu
09-28-2011, 16:29
Looks fine to me with changes suggested. Won't save you much but I managed with two one litre platypus, my buddy managed with one platy and one Gatorade bottle. Can change if water scarce ,if so just get another Gatorade bottle. Although I experimented with an alky stove I did my main section (720 Miles) with a white gas stove. Was about to change to an alky when I figured I would fade away with weight loss if I carried on like I had been (I was only 142lbs to start with, lost 14 lbs) so I added a small frying pan and started cooking more stuff such as pancakes and tortilla/cheese wraps as well as the Ramen and Knorr sides. Have since use a small gas stove on the trail with the same aim.

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 16:42
Looks fine to me with changes suggested. Won't save you much but I managed with two one litre platypus, my buddy managed with one platy and one Gatorade bottle. Can change if water scarce ,if so just get another Gatorade bottle. Although I experimented with an alky stove I did my main section (720 Miles) with a white gas stove. Was about to change to an alky when I figured I would fade away with weight loss if I carried on like I had been (I was only 142lbs to start with, lost 14 lbs) so I added a small frying pan and started cooking more stuff such as pancakes and tortilla/cheese wraps as well as the Ramen and Knorr sides. Have since use a small gas stove on the trail with the same aim.

My friend keeps trying to get me to use two 1 liter glaceau smart water bottles. They are long and sleek, for a total of 2 liters. Then just not wory about a platy at all. I might make the switch but I haven't decided.

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 17:44
My friend keeps trying to get me to use two 1 liter glaceau smart water bottles. They are long and sleek, for a total of 2 liters. Then just not wory about a platy at all. I might make the switch but I haven't decided.

Just got two and tried it, they don't work well with my pack

mountain squid
09-28-2011, 18:40
Some observations:

camp footwear
long pants - it snowed on Roan May 4 of this yr
gloves
regular size lighter - small ones are just too small
ear plugs
needle for draining blisters
TP
pencil
paper/journal

Concur:
hand sanitizer
silly to cut toothbrush
extra pr of socks
extra water storage

Disagree:
sunscreen - it's not a long grn tunnel until the leaves are out (MAY 5th maybe?!?) and you will be in sun ALL DAY LONG

Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

rjhouser
09-28-2011, 18:55
Some observations:

camp footwear
long pants - it snowed on Roan May 4 of this yr
gloves
regular size lighter - small ones are just too small
ear plugs
needle for draining blisters
TP
pencil
paper/journal

Concur:
hand sanitizer
silly to cut toothbrush
extra pr of socks
extra water storage

Disagree:
sunscreen - it's not a long grn tunnel until the leaves are out (MAY 5th maybe?!?) and you will be in sun ALL DAY LONG

Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Camp shoes... I have thought about them but I don't think I'm taking them. If I do they will be homemade and weigh about 1 or 2 ounces.
Long pants... When I listed Frogg toggs driducks I intended jacket AND pants
Gloves - Will just use other pair of wool socks granted they aren't wet
Lighter - I like the small bics, I mean I only flick it once a day
Ear plugs - Maybe. Still thinking. I like to be snored to sleep sometimes...
Needle - Couldn't I sterilize the tip of my knife and use it for blisters?
TP - isn't that what leaves are for?
Pencil and paper - Sadly I have become victim to technology and will be keeping my journal online via my smartphone.

Ironbelly
09-29-2011, 00:05
For the negligible weight of a needle i strongly recommend bringing one. Yes you 'can' use a knife for blisters but a needle makes it much easier. Good luck using a knife to sew with if you need to repair something!

Try using nothing but leaves to whipe with at home for 2 weeks then let us know which brand of TP you are bringing! haha