PDA

View Full Version : Lee, Mass to Sturbridge, Mass on/before Thurs, 9/29?

stonedflea
09-28-2011, 09:43
hey guys... does anyone know of any shuttles in the lee area? i only see two listed in my at guide for mass. one i've called and they're not running the hostel or shuttles this year, and the cookie lady's line has been busy all AM. i can't find a car rental place that'll do a 1-way return, either. any other options? thanks in advance!

nehiker
09-28-2011, 10:26
hey guys... does anyone know of any shuttles in the lee area? i only see two listed in my at guide for mass. one i've called and they're not running the hostel or shuttles this year, and the cookie lady's line has been busy all AM. i can't find a car rental place that'll do a 1-way return, either. any other options? thanks in advance!

Peter Pan operates buses between towns around Lee (from Boston and NYC). Berkshire Regional Transit Authority operates local buses in the area (Mon-Sat). There is also a taxi service out of Lee.

Hertz does one-way car rentals. They have a location at Pittsfield Airport.

RWheeler
09-28-2011, 13:19
I'm somewhat local to the area (Central CT) and am free tomorrow. Gas and tolls would be around $30 if I were to do this. If you'd be willing to help with some of that, and share me your tales of your hike so far, I'd be glad to be a shuttle for you.

XCskiNYC
10-09-2011, 22:50
Amtrak has a daily departure from Pittsfield at 1629 arriving Springfield 1748 and Worcester 1857.

You can probably get an earlier connection with a Peter Pan bus out of Pittsfield but if you want to take the train that's it. This particular train tends to run late (Train 48, nicknamed the "Forty Late")

Migrating Bird
10-10-2011, 07:36
Amtrak is not reliable between Pittsfield and Boston, as the freight trains take priority and delays can be many many hours.

Toli
10-10-2011, 16:52

Hey girl... Hows it Going/been??? Do you still have Swazeye With you??? Are you going to finish???

Fireweed
10-10-2011, 19:40
I'll be trying to get to Great Barrington or anywhere near, next Monday. Any hope of a shuttle from Worchester? I couldn't find the Amtrak to Pittsfield, only PP and a 6 hour trip. Or, is there another place to get back on the trail that is easier from Boston?

nehiker
10-10-2011, 20:18
PP runs from Boston to Springfield; from there a bus runs to Pittsfield via Lee. I recall the trip from Boston to Pittsfield was a little over 4 hours. AT crossing of Route 20 is 5 miles E of Lee; there is a taxi service out of Lee (as well as quite a bit traffic on Route 20 if you prefer to hitch). Berkshire Regional Transit Authority runs local buses from Lee to Great Barrington (in case the PP connection in Lee is not good).

Amtrak runs once a day from Boston via Worcester to Pittsfield; it is on their website. BRTA runs local buses from Pittsfield (where Amtrak drops off) to Dalton (AT crossing), Cheshire, as well as south to Lee and Great Barrington. PP has two buses a day from Pittsfield to GB.

Alternatively, rent a car from Hertz in Worcester and drop off at Pittsfield Airport.

Fireweed
10-11-2011, 00:25
Thanks, with all the info I'm set. Can't wait to get back to the AT.

stonedflea
10-11-2011, 00:46
Hey girl... Hows it Going/been??? Do you still have Swazeye With you??? Are you going to finish???

hey toli! :)

we didn't finish this year... we were thru hikers turned lashers. swayze made it all the way to jersey without any problems whatsoever. then we flip flopped, and the granite rock in maine wore her toenails down to nothin'. we took days off and i ordered her boots, and her toenails got better, but her boots wouldn't stay on. i had a second pair of boots waiting on her in gorham, nh, and we attempted the whites in them, but they woudln't stay on, either, so i said screw it, let's skip nh/vt this year.

buttt... we got down to mass and i hurt my foot cause i pulled some stupid big miles (in comparison to maine miles) the first day out, and then the next day i ran out of ibuprofen, mosquito repellent, AND my aqua-mira bottle sprung a leak all on the same day. so i said, "screw it. we've gotta come back next year anyways." :)

we did roughly 1,700 miles this year. i'll take it with my chin up. i'm actually glad we didn't finish all in one go because a lot of my friends that i met this year are talking about doing the PCT next year, and i don't have the funds to take off another 6 months for hiking so soon. so these ~450 miles gives me something to look forward to next year. and hopefully by then, i'll have found a pair of dog boots that will stay put. ruffwear's boots SUCK.

how have you been? :) y'all been hikin' much?