PDA

View Full Version : Amacalola Falls: Parking?

World-Wide
09-28-2011, 20:40
Plan on hiking from Amacalola Falls, Ga to Bly Gap, N.C. next week. Anyone know if there is long-term parking (2 weeks) at Amacalola Falls? Can answer my own question tomorrow by calling them, but was wondering if anyone could answer my question tonight. Thanks! W-W

Duff
09-28-2011, 20:53
There's a long-term lot just across the street from the visitor center. No charge; even for park entry access. Tell the ranger at the front gate that your going to the long-term lot and they'll let you in. Register in the visitor center and they'll give you a "hanger" to put on your mirror. That's all there is to it. The only caveat is that it's on a "space-available" basis; I've never had any trouble. Never any vandalism. I left my car for both a thru in 2009 and a short back-and forth from Amicolola to Neel Gap. both etimes the only issue was mice starting a nest in the engine compartment. When I returned from my thru, I had a one flat tire and the park mechanics filled it with a portable air tank for free. GREAT people and a great service for hikers. Best of luck!

World-Wide
09-28-2011, 22:13
Thanks Duff!! Testing out some new gear on a turn-and-burn 150 mile round trip before my Feb 2012 thru-hike attempt. Was going to have my wife drop me off and pick me up, but this will work better. Hope to see you on the trail some time!! W-W