PDA

View Full Version : Newbie gearlist shakedown/few misc q's

evyck da fleet
09-29-2011, 00:35
OK so I decided 2 months ago I've got enough of a window after April 15th, 2012 to complete a thru-hike or at least put in enough of a section hike to complete the trail in 2013. I've got all the gear listed below except the filter, first aid and (NB)trailrunners. I'm looking for opinions on what I should replace/leave behind and I have two questions.

Based on my depart date when/or about where would I need to pick up a bugnet and treat clothing for ticks? I'd rather not poison my cat by treating clothing with permethrin before I leave.

I'd rather not use any maildrops b/c I don't want to have to be anywhere at a particluar time but would prefer not to carry all the maps(I like maps) to begin with so I guess I'll have to do a few. Recommendations on how many(weight) to carry at a time?

Gear:
Osprey Atmos 65 and packcover 3lb 14o
BA Fly Creek SL1 and footprint 2lb 7o
Marmot Helium 15 long, silk liner, Zlite pad and earplugs 3lb8o
Kitchen:
Pocket rocket, 4o cannister, .9L evernew titanium pot, titanium spork, Bic lighter
Nalgene 96o bladder, 1Lsoda bottle, 20o gatorade bottle(mixed drinks)
Aquamira drops, Katadyn Pro filter,
Clothes:
Marmot Zeus Jacket, Precip Jacket and Pants
NB trailrunners, Wigwam ankle socks(2) and full length(1), crocs
running gloves, wool hat and ballcap
Champion mens tights(x2) compression top long sleeve(x2) C9 long sleeve and short sleeve shirt and shorts(x2)
Compression underwear and nylon/spandex boxers
First Aid/Hygiene:
10yds Duct tape, nail clippers, 1oz hand sanitizer, 1oz sunscreen, kids toothbrush and paste
Adventure 1.0 First Aid, sewing needle/thread, safety pins, disposable razor, tp,
Contacts, case and solution
Misc:
Black Diamond Spot and Ultra Distance Carbon Poles 12.6o
MSR min packtowl, bandanna, 50ft paracord
iphone4(camera/phone)ipod(music)charger
Thru Hiker Companion and ATC maps
event Compression sack, OR stuff sacks(3), ziplocs
Leatherman Squirt multitool, memo pad and pen
Casio watch, credit card, debit card, insurance card, cash
Sense of humor

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

flatfeet
09-29-2011, 01:10
The Nalgenes get pretty cruddy after a few weeks. So I would just get a Pepsi
Big slam type bottle. They can be replaced pretty easily as well.

The bag is probably too warm especially if you are a warm sleeper. And at that
time of year. You can probably get away with a 20 or even 30 degree bag.

You'll only need one pair of tights, top and bottom. Wash them when in town every
3 days.

Replace hand sanitizer with soap. As HS doesn't work.

You'll never use the leatherman.

Lose the maps as well. You won't need them.

Overall well thought out.

Rocket Jones
09-29-2011, 06:09
Do you need the tent footprint?
Too many clothes. Keep one set for hiking, one for sleeping/town.
You don't need the razor. Toss one in your mail drops.
You can probably lighten your first aid kit by assembling your own.
Print out a small card with all your emergency info on it: blood type, allergies, insurance numbers, contacts, etc. Laminate it and keep it with your first aid kit.

evyck da fleet
09-29-2011, 09:02
Thanks for helping identify the "rock" in my bag. I also figured I had included too may of my running clothes. I need it to get a little colder in my backyard to determine my comfort level. Growing up in NY the bag would've be too warm for me but after 17 years in GA and at 6' 170lb I've grown accustomed to being toasty.

evyck da fleet
09-29-2011, 09:14
Do you need the tent footprint?
Too many clothes. Keep one set for hiking, one for sleeping/town.
You don't need the razor. Toss one in your mail drops.
You can probably lighten your first aid kit by assembling your own.
Print out a small card with all your emergency info on it: blood type, allergies, insurance numbers, contacts, etc. Laminate it and keep it with your first aid kit.

Emergency info yeah that might be helpful:). At the moment, the footprint is nice to have. Hopefully in 6 months my ability to pick out and set up a campsite will have improved where I can add that to the leave behind list. My current first aid kit is "walk it off" or "apply pressure" so I need something. But you're right I can take what I want from it and throw it in a ziploc.

Nutbrown
09-29-2011, 09:41
I know it's not much, but do you need the camp towel and the bandana? Just use the bandana.

rjhouser
09-29-2011, 09:55
What about a dry sack / pack liner? Wouldn't take the water filter since you have drops. You might need a windscreen with that stove. A simple foil setup would work. Use socks for gloves, carry an extra wool pair if you need to, you can always use them on your feet. (multi-use being the key). Just use a small lightweight single blade knife instead of the leatherman. Pack towel not needed, use bandana. If you have an iphone you have a gps, why bother with maps? Also I plan on using my iphone to keep an online journal, so I don't have to carry a pen and paper. Personally I would ditch the crocs and make some homemade flip flops from foam or something similar, or just go without them. Just trying to save you weight! You know what your personal preferences are. Goodluck!

mountain squid
09-29-2011, 17:02
Looks pretty thorough. Some observations:

3-4 weeks of maps - mail drop the rest
leave filter

Concur:
will you ever wear all that clothing at the same time? - if not, probably too much

Disagree:
keep hand sanitizer
keep crocs - at the end of a normal, non-hiking day, do you leave your shoes on all the time?

Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

evyck da fleet
09-29-2011, 20:14
@rjhouser- I hear ya on the personal preference. I would like to find lighter camp shoes but will definitely take something. Packtowel could go if I can limit condensation/water in tent at night which irks me. May cave on the whole online journal but would like to limit iphone use to paying house bills, let family know of my whereabouts and to make sure nothing comes up that I'd have to leave trail for. Again personal preference. Good luck to you too!

Squid-Thanks for mail drop advice.

Guess everyone wants me to drop the 3/4 ton rock of a filter. No complaints here.

Bloomer
09-29-2011, 22:09
Didn't see a head light on the list...

wheels76
12-04-2011, 21:57
OK so I decided 2 months ago I've got enough of a window after April 15th, 2012 to complete a thru-hike or at least put in enough of a section hike to complete the trail in 2013. I've got all the gear listed below except the filter, first aid and (NB)trailrunners. I'm looking for opinions on what I should replace/leave behind and I have two questions.

Based on my depart date when/or about where would I need to pick up a bugnet and treat clothing for ticks? I'd rather not poison my cat by treating clothing with permethrin before I leave.

I'd rather not use any maildrops b/c I don't want to have to be anywhere at a particluar time but would prefer not to carry all the maps(I like maps) to begin with so I guess I'll have to do a few. Recommendations on how many(weight) to carry at a time?

Gear:
Osprey Atmos 65 and packcover 3lb 14o
BA Fly Creek SL1 and footprint 2lb 7o
Marmot Helium 15 long, silk liner, Zlite pad and earplugs 3lb8o
Kitchen:
Pocket rocket, 4o cannister, .9L evernew titanium pot, titanium spork, Bic lighter
Nalgene 96o bladder, 1Lsoda bottle, 20o gatorade bottle(mixed drinks)
Aquamira drops, Katadyn Pro filter,
Clothes:
Marmot Zeus Jacket, Precip Jacket and Pants
NB trailrunners, Wigwam ankle socks(2) and full length(1), crocs
running gloves, wool hat and ballcap
Champion mens tights(x2) compression top long sleeve(x2) C9 long sleeve and short sleeve shirt and shorts(x2)
Compression underwear and nylon/spandex boxers
First Aid/Hygiene:
10yds Duct tape, nail clippers, 1oz hand sanitizer, 1oz sunscreen, kids toothbrush and paste
Adventure 1.0 First Aid, sewing needle/thread, safety pins, disposable razor, tp,
Contacts, case and solution
Misc:
Black Diamond Spot and Ultra Distance Carbon Poles 12.6o
MSR min packtowl, bandanna, 50ft paracord
iphone4(camera/phone)ipod(music)charger
Thru Hiker Companion and ATC maps
event Compression sack, OR stuff sacks(3), ziplocs
Leatherman Squirt multitool, memo pad and pen
Casio watch, credit card, debit card, insurance card, cash
Sense of humor

Thanks in advance to all who reply.eye glassis

Senor Jalapeno
12-10-2011, 15:32
Drop the towel. Gloves are up to you, pockets work just as well. Forget the rain pants (you'll just sweat yourself wet anyway) Try making a rain skirt. Those undies are gonna be a funk after 2 days anyway, free youself (ive found that to be the best way to stave off chaffing anyway) Wrap that duct tape around your hiking poles, and dont be stingey... YOU'LL NEED IT. I would also add a Contractor bag as a pack liner, pack cover wont keep everything dry, so i use both. You wont need a windscreen for the stove, i never have. 2 nalgenes bottles OR @ Gatorade bottles OR a bladder down south. You wont run into water difficulties til upper PA. And yea, I stick with just 1 set of clothes to hike in, and one set of clothes for camp/ town to be dry in (Not to be used for hiking). Otherwise good list buddy

dandandan
12-10-2011, 15:56
the "rock" in your bag might be the bag itself at almost 4 lbs; do you really need a 65 L bag?

everything everyone else said is true - I would ditch the maps and at least one bottle, are you ever going to actually carry almost 5 liters of water?

Have you ever considered an alcohol stove? they are lighter and you wont have to worry about guessing how much fuel is left in your canister.