PDA

View Full Version : Where to Hike

View
02-24-2005, 19:29
I am looking for a place to hike this summer (June, July, August). I have been to lots of places in Michigan (where I live), but I am looking for something with more to see and look at, something truly beautiful (not that michigan isnt).

Let me know what you think! :-?

kentucky
02-24-2005, 19:54
well thats a broad question!part of the AT would be nice but there is so many other places as well maybe you ought to ask yourself where should I start and then let your heart take you the rest of the way:banana kentucky

chris
02-24-2005, 20:18
On the AT in June, I'd say hit the Roan area near Erwin, TN. Or, the Grayson Highlands just north of Damascus, VA. Or, the Dragon's Tooth/MacAfee Knob/Tinker Cliffs area in central VA.

Off the AT, in August, get on a plane and fly out to Washington. Hike the 98 some odd mile Wonderland Trail around Rainier. It is pretty spectacular stuff, though you'll need to deal with reservations. Or, hike the John Muir Trail through the Sierra Nevada. You will not find anywhere in the continental US that can beat the JMT, and I've only been to a few places that can match it.

kentucky
02-24-2005, 20:26
the john muir trail is very nice and of course what about the northern cascades the little alps kentucky

Spirit Walker
02-24-2005, 22:13
Do you have all summer? I would go to Montana and hike south from Glacier on the CDT, starting mid or late June. Or go to Kennedy Meadows and hike three months on the PCT.

View
02-24-2005, 23:04
I have June 12 - September 1 off.

chris
02-25-2005, 11:00
If you've got some experience, I think Spirit Walker's suggestion of south bound on the CDT is a good one. It looks like a low snow year in the northern Rockies and June 12 might be a good time to start (I might be leaving from there at that time). There is a fair amount of snow in the Sierra Nevada (the Kennedy Meadows thing). June 12 might be a bit early.

If you're looking to soak up the entire time and don't want the the western stuff, you might think about a southbound AT hike as well.

Or, you might start at the southern end of Shenandoah NP and hike north to Katahdin.

kentucky
02-25-2005, 12:22
I would say hike the AT all and all its great! and have you ever distant hiked? I feel the AT is much easier to resupply on than the other long trails,I dont know that much about cdt but I long to hike the northern section into canada!I do know that the pct is harder to ressupply and prices are crazy at most of the lodges so mail drops could be to your advantage out west:sun kentucky

The Solemates
02-25-2005, 12:48
what about a combo trip of the JMT and the TRT, since neither one is really long enough for 2.5 months. do them both since they are somewhat close to each other.

Tha Wookie
02-25-2005, 15:57
How about the Oregon Coast Trail and the coast of northern Cali? It's the most beautiful hiking on either side of the country (except for some road walks).