PDA

View Full Version : Android Hiking Apps

Panzer1
09-29-2011, 19:55
I just got a new Morotola smart cell phone with the android operating system and I'm looking around for some good hiking related apps, not that I really need these apps, but I thought since I already have the gadget I might as well install some "stuff" on it.

I have heard some bad things about apps that keep running even after you kill them, don't want that kind of app though.

Anyone got any apps worth while?

Panzer

perrito
09-29-2011, 21:47
Here are some that I have that are at least remotely applicable:
Animated Knots (Great!)
Backpacker GPS Trails Lite (free, not too good)
Compass (Catch, Inc.)
Gaia GPS
Google Sky Map
KnotsGuide
Latitude
PeakAR (Cool!)
Radar Now
Star Chart
U.S. Army Survival Guide

skinewmexico
09-29-2011, 21:49
I use Endomondo a lot when I ride my bike, but it will suck a battery down in a few hours. I'm just not figuring out how to leave the GPS on and turn the phone off. Great app though.

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2011, 22:42
Lots of good experience here the Google Earth has hidden layers and quick find features with Terrain, Traffic and business within a town....Wow!

So you walk into a trail town hit Maps exspand - food courts light up first touch one arrow appears - touch again phone appears - touch again - it dials - order and walk there its waiting.... Oh don't know what to order? click again and the menu appears on the website! WAY TOO COOL!

ocelot
09-29-2011, 23:45
i use something called google my tracks....it just tracks your trek....elevation, speed, etc. The last few hikes i did, i had it track my whole way...and it was awesome to actually see the total distance and elevation i went...from start to finish with pin point accuracy.

Bucherm
09-30-2011, 02:17
I just got a new Morotola smart cell phone with the android operating system and I'm looking around for some good hiking related apps, not that I really need these apps, but I thought since I already have the gadget I might as well install some "stuff" on it.

I have heard some bad things about apps that keep running even after you kill them, don't want that kind of app though.

Anyone got any apps worth while?

Panzer

I like Gaia GPS. Doesn't require a cellular connection to load maps.

T-Dubs
09-30-2011, 08:32
Take a look at 'AllTrails' where you can select the activity (bike, hike, canoe, etc). Another is 'Maplets', same sort of App. And then there are tons of National Park trail apps--I put the Smoky Mts on my phone, just 'cause.

Not sure of the life-after-death concern about these; they may keep running, I don't know about such things.

Tom

LDog
09-30-2011, 17:51
Navigation apps:
Google Earth
Google Maps
Google My Tracks
Google Places
GPS Essentials
Gaia GPS Lite
Compass (Catch, inc)
Sundroid Free (Get sunrise and sunset times for your location)

Outfitting:

REI
Amazon
eBay

Posting on Whiteblaze:

Tapatalk

Weather:

Radar Now
Weather Channel

References:

Kindle (with all the books you want on the trail - ie. First aid, cooking, bird, animal and plant guides, Hitchiker's Guide to the Universe ...)
Wiki Encyclopedia

Journaling:

Blogger
Voice Recorder
Swype beta (easier keyboard entry - http://beta.swype.com/android/create/)

Keeping your notes together:

Evernote (A really, really great app)
Google Docs

Keeping your S**t together:

ToDo Today (with an account on Remember the Milk)
Google Calendar

Coolness:

Google Sky
At Bat Lite (Keep track of your fav baseball team)
Comic Strip (Keep up with all your faves)

Blue Jay
09-30-2011, 20:21
This thread is hysterical, please keep it going.

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2011, 20:43
Chilly Willy why do you need tapa talk - is that speach recognition for posting?

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2011, 20:50
Huh? its geeky not f-f--f--f--f--uny

LDog
09-30-2011, 23:14
Chilly Willy why do you need tapa talk - is that speach recognition for posting?

Wise Owl, Tapatalk is an app that allows one to write, read, and respond to posts on any forum using the software used by Whiteblaze. I'm using Tapatalk on my Droid to make this reply.
--
Chilly
laughingdawg.blogspot.com

Virginia Archer
09-30-2011, 23:29
Maprika- Has the AT trail maps which are downloadable.

Panzer1
10-01-2011, 17:59
Wise Owl, Tapatalk is an app that allows one to write, read, and respond to posts on any forum using the software used by Whiteblaze. I'm using Tapatalk on my Droid to make this reply.
--
Chilly
laughingdawg.blogspot.com

I noticed that you have to pay for Tapatalk. $3 I think. Is it worth the cost. You can post to WB without Tapatalk. What extra features dose it give you?

Panzer

LDog
10-02-2011, 10:39
I honestly never tried accessing WB via mobile web. I downloaded the app, configured it, and have enjoyed using it ever since. It brings me right into a "Latest" tab, and presents me with unread posts. From there I can tap tabs for all posts, or the ones in which I have participated. Or, I can hit tabs to take me into forums, favorites, PM and "more." I can get to all the articles via the Released Articles forum.

So, I figured I'd try the mobile web, and I got a pop-up saying "The forum has an app for the Android phone, Click ok to learn more about Tapatalk" I hit cancel and was taken into a full page view of the web site. I had to zoom in to enter my pword, which Tapatalk remembers, then it went back out to full page view, zoomed in to find "What's New," back out to full page. Zoom in to read headers ...

Tapatalk is formatted for your phone's screen. No zooming required. OTOH, it doesn't have full functionality. For instance, I don't see access to image galleries and blogs.

Well worth $3 to not have to constantly zoom in while trying to navigate and read forums imho.

LDog
10-02-2011, 10:44
Not a hiking app per se, but I had to add Swype beta to my journaling section. There's a bit of learning curve, but I found I can enter text almost as fast as I can at a keyboard. It's a beta, so you have to go to there site and go thru a multi-step process to get it loaded, but I think it's well worth the effort.

http://beta.swype.com/android/create/

Fredt4
10-06-2011, 15:16
my favorite application is backcountry navigator pro

RWheeler
10-07-2011, 06:13
Not a hiking app per se, but I had to add Swype beta to my journaling section. There's a bit of learning curve, but I found I can enter text almost as fast as I can at a keyboard. It's a beta, so you have to go to there site and go thru a multi-step process to get it loaded, but I think it's well worth the effort.

http://beta.swype.com/android/create/

I agree. Swype, once given a few days to acclimate to it, is far far superior to tapping keyboards.

In terms of hiking Android apps, the only app I use while on the trail is Sky Map if I want to locate something while I'm resting. I'm the kind of person that prefers the technology isolation while outdoors, though.

Pixelgator
10-07-2011, 12:21
My favorite application, also, is backcountry navigator pro.

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2011, 17:18
Ok tell us more why you like. Backcountry Pro.