PDA

View Full Version : high sodium food and high blood pressure

rdaviskiwi
09-29-2011, 20:53
Hey folks, has anyone had any issues with some of the high sodium foods that hikers eat increasing someones high blood pressure.

Pedaling Fool
09-29-2011, 21:09
I have no problems with high BP and I eat lots of sodium, not just while hiking, but all the time; I just ate a 3lb steak with tons of salt. But I also eat a lot of veggies and drink a lot of water and exercise a lot. So I don't fear sodium.

bus
09-29-2011, 21:27
I think he was referring to those already with HBP. I have minimal HBP that is controlled through meds. I would talk to your doc, explain what your hike will etail and ask him for some guidelines. I think that with all the fluids and salt that we lose with sweating that it might offset it

skinewmexico
09-29-2011, 21:59
Get Sarbar's FBC cookbook, and learn to make your own low-sodium meals. I think Packit Gourmet has lower sodium too.

Ironbelly
09-29-2011, 22:20
One thing to keep in mind is you do need a decent amount of extra sodium when your hiking and sweating all day. If you start getting muscle cramps then you need to eat more salt for sure.

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2011, 22:37
Sorry Ironbelly there is something off with that statement - I won't argue but I will look for cooperating detail.... too much sodium in the long run has many problems.

lemon b
09-30-2011, 08:28
No problem with sodium and the BP when activitly hiking. When working it can push it up abit. Even had a med that removed sodium thru the kidneys. My BP went way down with weight loss. As we age many of us can put on the pounds and not want to talk about it. Weight loss on the body helps the knees and the BP, Alot more important to shed body weight then pack weight. Even been able to toss two meds in the trash and use that money for equipment. Sodium does leave quickly when sweating and drinking plenty of H2O.

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2011, 08:37
Even been able to toss two meds in the trash and use that money for equipment.
Happens all the time on the Biggest Loser show. In many respects that show is just another reality show with all the BS drama and in-your-face advertisements, but when you remove all that they really do accomplish something great on that show. I just don't understand why people can't see that, everyone wants a magic pill or some other medical marvel to keep them healthy. Maybe someday, but not today.

Fiddleback
09-30-2011, 09:17
Sorry Ironbelly there is something off with that statement - I won't argue but I will look for cooperating detail.... too much sodium in the long run has many problems.

Salt/electrolytes as a preventive or cure for muscle cramps is no longer a given. Research is looking at other causes other than electrolyte imbalance...http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2008/12/electrolytes-and-muscle-cramps.html (wlmailhtml:{90A4CD24-E5BC-4CED-9A8F-3D95D33D0600}mid://00000061/!x-usc:http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2008/12/electrolytes-and-muscle-cramps.html)

http://sweatscience.com/cramping-in-ironman-triathlons-not-dehydration-or-electrolytes/ (wlmailhtml:{90A4CD24-E5BC-4CED-9A8F-3D95D33D0600}mid://00000061/!x-usc:http://sweatscience.com/cramping-in-ironman-triathlons-not-dehydration-or-electrolytes/)

http://www.gustrength.com/physiology:muscle-cramps-part-ii (wlmailhtml:{90A4CD24-E5BC-4CED-9A8F-3D95D33D0600}mid://00000061/!x-usc:http://www.gustrength.com/physiology:muscle-cramps-part-ii)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/413657-electrolytes-the-cramping-of-muscles/ (wlmailhtml:{90A4CD24-E5BC-4CED-9A8F-3D95D33D0600}mid://00000061/!x-usc:http://www.livestrong.com/article/413657-electrolytes-the-cramping-of-muscles/)

http://south.sanfordhealth.org/classlibrary/Page/Images/files/BergeronMuscleCrampsFatigue.pdf

W.O.O. is right...'too much' sodium is often damaging. The issue is, what is 'too much.' There are many who are very sensitive to small amounts of sodium. Fortunately for most, 'all things in moderation' is a mantra that works. But the various health impacts from one's diet are not static...what one could get away with at age 20 often doesn't work out so well at age 50.

"I'm 98. And there's nothing I can't do now that I could do when I was 18. Which shows how bad off I was when I was 18." -- George Burns

FB

dab48eu
09-30-2011, 09:51
I have a friend who is a Cardiologist. For the past several years he and a group of doctors and nurses staff a free health clinic during Trail Days in Damascus. He told me that he was surprised by the number of hikers that had High Blood Pressure. He was concerned that the high sodium diet in the hiker's food was the etiology. Obviously, this is not a scientific study but it should caution hikers to be aware of the sodium content of their food. I like Mtn House products but I avoid several of their foods because of the extremely high salt content. This is not absolute and will vary from indivudual to individual but at least one should be aware of the potential complication of high salt loads over several months duration.

Ironbelly
09-30-2011, 09:59
I completely agree that one should limit their sodium intake in general. But, in regards to backpacking you don't want to completely cut it out. Your body loses alot of salt/sodium through sweating, and at least some of it needs to be replaced. That is why most backpacking meals and snacks, and protein bars etc for active/sports community have a little higher sodium than other foods. I am not saying to eat as much sodium as you can or anything, just saying to remember to eat some because your body needs it.

Muscles can cramp because of one or a combination of these 3 reasons: Muscle fatigue, dehydration(low blood salt concentration), low potassium.

Those are also listed in the order in which cramps are usually caused. So muscle fatigue being the leading cause, followed by low blood salt, follow by low potassium. Just because low blood salt isn't THE leading cause doesn't mean you should ignore it. Most athletes are only exercising or performing an activity for a few hours at a time, then they go home and rest and eat etc. When backpacking you are using your muscles for 8+ hours a day typically, day after day after day. If you routinely limit your sodium intake when exercising and sweating that much it will catch up with you in a short amount of time.

Your probably saying now 'Well if thats the case then why dont more thru hikers have problems with cramping', And my answer to that is the vast majority of thru hikers eat a bunch of crap food they get during resupplies from gas stations and small stores. Things like Ramen, and knorrs pasta and rice sides are loaded with sodium.. A normal diet has some sodium in it.

This problem can easily be compounded by drinking too much fluid. Over hydrating can also cause a low blood salt condition, so if your already on a low sodium diet that is something to keep in mind.

The only point I am trying to make is that if you purposely severly limit your sodium intake during a long distance hike you are asking for problems. This doesn't mean you have to only eat foods with high sodium, but you should be eating at least a little bit every day. It doesnt even have to be high sodium, your body just needs to intake some sodium.

max patch
09-30-2011, 10:10
I Your body loses alot of salt/sodium through sweating, and at least some of it needs to be replaced. That is why most backpacking meals and snacks, and protein bars etc for active/sports community have a little higher sodium than other foods.

You may be right, but I suspect the high sodium is really there for flavor and shelf life.

Doc Mike
09-30-2011, 20:45
salt is usually an issue only for those with low renin. Also an issue for those with congestive heart failure. If you don't have either it shouldn't be a problem but like in all things moderation is usually better.

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2011, 21:07
13 + years ago my doc insisted on loosing 40 lbs. The nutritionist insisted in cutting out ALL table salt and using this...

Salt Sense® brand is 100% pure salt with 33% less sodium by volume. The result of our patented manufacturing process is a natural flake-shaped crystal that is less dense than that of common salt. These crystals dissolve faster to give you real salt taste, without leaving any metallic aftertaste. It's simply the sensible way to enjoy real salt.

I prefer Sea Salt and a grinder - but for the trail I am on this stuff.

Oh and the weight came off like a prom dress - without the exercise

sbhikes
09-30-2011, 21:19
I have read trail journals of people who have suffered trying to stay low sodium while thru-hiking. When they end up at the doctor the doctor usually gives them a good talking to. That low sodium stuff is for people living ordinary life. If you are sitting there with salt stains on your shirt because you are hiking 20 miles a day, you need sodium and lots of it.

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2011, 21:30
I have read trail journals of people who have suffered trying to stay low sodium while thru-hiking. When they end up at the doctor the doctor usually gives them a good talking to. That low sodium stuff is for people living ordinary life. If you are sitting there with salt stains on your shirt because you are hiking 20 miles a day, you need sodium and lots of it.

Ok SB this is a first for me - a low sodium diet never was "suffering for me" but there was a backlash many years later - that may be connected or not.

can you post a reference to a few journals or friends.

dab48eu
10-01-2011, 09:18
I was not advocating a low sodium diet unless there are medical reason that require it. Rather, I was cautioning against excessive sodium. The army stopped giving out "Salt Tablet" many years ago. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance is not simply replacing salt. However, as I mentioned in my first post, salt replacement should be on an individual basis.

Tipi Walter
10-01-2011, 11:27
There are many backpacking meals which are way too salty and unedible---for me. MRE's are in this category, as are the Pasta Sides Lipton and Knorr's and most of the Mt House and other outdoor dehydrated meals. This is a problem as of yet unaddressed by the companies involved.

MuddyWaters
10-01-2011, 20:53
I know at least half-dozen people that had high blood pressure, diabetes, other issues, that totally went away when they got down to a decent bodyweight. That is a bodyfat % under about 15%.

Most people dont like to admit it to themselves, but they are obese. Yes, 73% of adult americans are OBESE. :eek: Heck 31% of KIDS are.! Its sickening and disgusting what fast food and coca-cola has done to the average american. but thats another topic.

Some people still have issues when thin, but amazingly, many dont.

Another friend of mine just lost 50 lbs, he isnt lean by any means, probably about 20+% bodyfat now still, but he is now also off of diabetes and blood pressure medicine.

I personally believe that maintaing a lean body is the BEST health thing you can do. When you see a 75 yr old man that is still active, he is usually a lean and wiry old man, not a fat one. Besides, they have proven also that a sub-caloric maintenance diet has life extending benefits. Basically, starve yourself, live longer. That is the traditional asian way..

Wise Old Owl
10-01-2011, 21:12
Ahh there are no fat people at the retirement home...

We are looking at the first generation of young people that won't live to be as old as us... Thank's to Mc Donalds.

jeramie75
10-01-2011, 21:17
There are many backpacking meals which are way too salty and unedible---for me. MRE's are in this category, as are the Pasta Sides Lipton and Knorr's and most of the Mt House and other outdoor dehydrated meals. This is a problem as of yet unaddressed by the companies involved.

I have found the organic meals by Mary Janes Farm to be lower in sodium and very tasty. The black beans and rice with a tortilla is a great meal after a long day. Downside: they aint cheap.

Wise Old Owl
10-01-2011, 21:27
Jaraimie thanks for the reminder.

sbhikes
10-01-2011, 21:55
Ok SB this is a first for me - a low sodium diet never was "suffering for me" but there was a backlash many years later - that may be connected or not.

can you post a reference to a few journals or friends.

No, the people I recall weren't suffering from the low sodium diet, they were suffering from hyponatremia which a lot of people from wetter climates get when they come hike the So Cal PCT and start feeling the dry desert heat. Instead of handling it properly they consume a lot of sugary drinks and bars and drink too much water. What they really need is adequate salt intake with all that water.

Here's the one I remember who didn't take in enough salt. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=268770 He's not the same person who ended up at the doctor. I think I met that person on the trail. There have been others who got hyponatremic, too. It's pretty common on the PCT, especially with people who have never hiked in a dry climate before. I got it too even though I live in So Cal. It's really common and easy to do. You really can't do a low sodium diet on the PCT. That doesn't mean you should do a high sodium diet. It just means you need to throw all that you've heard about low sodium out the window and listen to your body.