PDA

View Full Version : I'd like some advice on a 4 day virginia hike please

jax_o's_fan
09-30-2011, 08:54
Hello all and thank you for reading my post.

This will be my fourth trip on the AT. I've done two four dayers in the smokeys and last july i did 3 days from the dragon tooth parking lot to up and over Tinker's cliffs. Beautiful area. We stayed behind the general store in catawba on night 1. Night two we stayed at campbells shelter. That shelter was the best I've seen yet. We had a small fire going in the fire pit and the area was amazing. I'd like to find more areas like this.

I'm the semi leader of a small band of guys who are trying to make these four day adventures a semi annual habit. This time, one of the guys requested that we see some water. As in camp by a stream/pond or at least see some falls. So I'm trying to find a nice stretch of the AT near Virginia that may accomodate the group.

The only issue is that this particular water fellow is only good for a max of 10 miles a day. Preferrably 8. The good news is that a few others in the group are in really good shape and will help him if needed. I've been doing a ton of reading and researching on this site and a bunch of others.

We will have two cars so we can park at either end. Or we can hire a shuttle service. Our hike is going to start on October 27th. Ideally I don't want to run into a ton of people ( who does ).

I saw someone posted about starting a hike from pearisburg. I'll start researching that. But I wanted to throw this out there in hopes of someone that is very familiar with this area to help me out.

My last trip in the smokeys we went from Newfound gap to cades cove in the 3.5 day time frame. That was a perfect distance. I got some great advice on this forum for that hike as well.

I look forward to hearing your replies.

Sincerely
Steve Weiner

RevLee
09-30-2011, 11:10
Earlier this year we took our older scouts on a spring break hike, hitting three of the high points in Virginia - McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and Dragon's Tooth. We had planned on 4 days, but shortened it to 3 days because of the weather. Your mileage may vary.

Day 1: 9 milesStart southbound from Daleville (US 220 crossing), mile 719. Park at the Park and Ride lot and take short connecting trail to AT.

First night Lamberts Meadow campsite, mile 710. Beautiful campsite along a stream.

Day 2: 9 miles
Tinker Cliffs, mile 708
McAfee Knob, mile 703

Second night Catawba Mtn shelter, mile 701

Day 3: 11 miles

Third night Dragon's Tooth approach, mile 690. The junction of the AT with the trail to the parking lot is in a gap with space for camping, but can be windy. Unfortunately water is about a mile downhill from here.

Day 4: 5 miles
Dragon's Tooth summit

Double back after summit to return to the gap and take side trail to finish at Dragon's Tooth trailhead parking

A.T. Hiker
09-30-2011, 12:16
http://www.foothillstrail.org/ I know you said the A.T. in Virginia but if you have never hiked on the FHT check out this link. There are numerous places to leave vehicles safely the state park Oconee where the trail starts does require a fee. Bad Creek Acess is another excellent place to leave a vehicle with no fee. Crowds are minimal especially during the week although as the leaves change colors most trails are crowded on the weekends. Depending on what section you select to hike you will see plenty of water and water falls. You can even camp along the shores of Lake Jocasse a beautiful mountain lake.

jax_o's_fan
09-30-2011, 13:16
I'm open to a different trail. Thank you very much for the reply. I'll look into it.

As far as Mcafees and Tinkers...those were awesome. Beautiful hiking. The only issue is that the majority of us did that hike last July.

Our hike will start on a Thursday, so yeah we'll hit some weekend hiking as well.

Keep the suggestions coming please.

FlyPaper
09-30-2011, 15:17
A few possibilities...

A little south of Pearisburg, VA,

http://www.atdist.com/dbatdist.php?k1=ETT&k2=EP&h=4fbbbe4e

This section includes Wapati shelter, which is near a small creek. Also, you can camp at Dismal Creek falls, which
is nice.

North of Pearisburg...

http://www.atdist.com/dbatdist.php?k1=EW&k2=FBM&h=e99c5008

This section includes War Spur shelter, near a small creek and Pine Swamp branch shelter near a small creek.
Also, there is a potential campsite near a much larger stream (a couple of miles north of Pine Swamp Branch),
although it is also at a road crossing.

The best water hike I've done so far is around Laurel Creek Falls, TN.
http://www.atdist.com/dbatdist.php?k1=DL&k2=DS&h=16bfce23

This is just south of the VA/TN line. The southern 3-4 miles has some of the most awesome water crossing, as well as campsites near a large stream.

Kerosene
09-30-2011, 18:27
You've got to take a look at the section north of Damascus, Grayson Highlands. There are a lot of options for 10-mile days through that section, and the scenery is some of the best on the AT, but more like the high Plains with long-range 180-degree views than mountaintop overlooks.

jax_o's_fan
09-30-2011, 19:51
Thanks a ton to everyone who has posted. I appreciate all of the responses.

Lone Wolf
09-30-2011, 20:08
You've got to take a look at the section north of Damascus, Grayson Highlands. There are a lot of options for 10-mile days through that section, and the scenery is some of the best on the AT, but more like the high Plains with long-range 180-degree views than mountaintop overlooks.listen to this...

bigcranky
10-01-2011, 13:12
Hey, Lone Wolf, I am trying to send you a PM and the system just won't let me do it. Ugh. Anyway, I wanted to ask about the Iron Mountain Trail, from VA 16 south to Damascus. Is that a decent hike this time of year? Will we get any views, or is it all in the woods? Thinking about going next weekend, starting mid-afternoon Friday. Any chance you're available for a shuttle?

Thanks!

jax_o's_fan
11-11-2011, 10:29
Just a quick note. Ended up doing 4 days on the Foothills trail in the NW corner of South Carolina. Wonderful trail. Started at Bad Creek Access and went down to Oconee State Park. Great scenery. Lots of water. Great camp sites.

Papa D
11-11-2011, 23:23
Grayson Highlands are great for S. VA - near Damascus -- Thomas Knob Shelter is super cool - two story affair -- Northern VA, obviously Shenandoah -- we called it Shen-and-doe-wa

Lando11
11-12-2011, 01:04
You've got to take a look at the section north of Damascus, Grayson Highlands. There are a lot of options for 10-mile days through that section, and the scenery is some of the best on the AT, but more like the high Plains with long-range 180-degree views than mountaintop overlooks.
agree 100%

Grayson Highlands are great for S. VA - near Damascus -- Thomas Knob Shelter is super cool - two story affair -- Northern VA, obviously Shenandoah -- we called it Shen-and-doe-wa

i would skip AT hiking in shenandoah. i call it bor-ing! all the views are from skyline, not the AT.

Unless you are dead set on hiking in VA, i think the best stretch on the AT in the south(hell, its the best section on the AT until some of NH and ME) is the Roan highlands TN. the big balds are incredible and i would go there first over anywhere in VA except maybe the grayson highlands.

Papa D
11-12-2011, 08:05
Shenandoah is fun -- you cruise through wooded areas and then through ancient farmer's fields, you see bear and drink milkshakes -- I also agree with Lando11 about the Roans but the OP asked for a VA hike -- doing the Roans and the Grayson Highlands together making Kincora (Bob People's place) or Damascus a mid-point of a hike but the OP doesn't want to do but 8-10 m.p.d. -- the nice thing about Shenandoah is that it's pretty easy -- a weekender can do 12 m.p.d. pretty easily.