PDA

View Full Version : After the hike and relocating to a trail town - Northern NH

peakbagger
09-30-2011, 09:05
Over the years on whiteblaze, there are many threads by folks who want to relocate to a "trail town" after a hike or perhaps when they have had a change in circumstances. Northern NH has gotten the reputation of a great place to live but tough to find a job. That still can be true anywhere if someone is looking for work with no skills and a lousy attitude, but Northern NH lately is looking up for those with skills and a good attitude. The AT runs through the region and Gorham NH is generally regarded as the last major trail town for northbounders.

First the disclaimer, The following is my opinion, other folks may have others, I have no stake in anyone's decision on how and where to live. If you want to make the move, its up to you, there arent a lot of folks around that are going to hold your hand.

There has been pretty steady seasonal and year round construction work in the area for the last few years and this looks to be continuing with a 275 million dollar biomass power plant that is starting construction soon, this is a union job but given the location there arent a lot of union folks left in the area and its a long drive from the areas with union members so I expect that there will be a demand for apprentices. Along with the major project, there is a local non union steel fabricator that is going to be staffing up to support the power plant plus another firm in the area that builds prefab steel structures (this tends to be on and off work). The local papermill in Gorham NH was recently purchased by a serious owner (after years of decline) and has plans to increase their production by installing at least one new papermachine. The papermill has been decining for years and as a result they hired few young folks, so a majority of the workforce are getting ready to retire in a few years so there will be a demand for folks with the right skills and attitude to backfill. The biomass power plant is also potentially going to attract some co-development on the site and given the demand for wood, I expect the logging firms are going to be staffing up. Due to the proximity to the canadian border, given the high canadian dollar, firms are starting to look at locating in NH as the cost of labor is competitive.

There is a also a state prison in town that is usually hiring and a federal prison that is most likely going to be staffing up (300 plus federal jobs).

Overall the work force in the area is getting "old" and therefore younger workers are in demand. The federal prison limits new hires to age 39 years or less so filling these postions are tough as the average age of the workforce in the mid fifties.

Housing is available and very low cost (for the NE), Berlin NH has an excess of housing and a lot of well cared for homes are on the market as people leave the areas in retirement to go south, many nice houses can be had for less than 100K. There are also a lot of very poor condition housing, although the community is making a dent at it. Overall for New England, its not an expensive place to live, although winter heating costs will be a shock to most folks.

Are the streets paved with gold, heck no, but compared to many areas along the AT, there is some positive economic news and the cost to live is somewhat reasonable. The folks who will be successfull in moving to area will have a few attributes,

1. They are able to pass employment drug tests, initially and possibly ongoing, If you use the "herb" and are not willing to give it up dont waste your time unless you want seasonal temporary work.
2. Come with a skill, preferably vocational training, there is a technical college in the area but inevitably, its two year event. College degrees are of less value unless you have a social work background and want to work for the state of NH (state employment is shrinking). Sure there are bankers and lawyers in the area but not many.
3. Be prepared for a somewhat "rural" lifestyle, there are no Starbucks in Coos County. You may have to drive 30 miles for a movie and there isnt a lot of choice on where to buy groceries. Of course you are surrounded by one of the most undeveloped regions in Northern New England and the Whites. If you do need civilization, Portland Maine and the maine coast is 90 miles away as well as North Conway and Littleton NH within 45 minutes.
4. Expect it will take awhile to get established, you may have to work seasonal work initially.
5. One of the most important things is that you have to be reliable and want to work, your reputation will get made on your first job and it will follow you as long as you are in the area. Workers from the area usually have a good reputation elsewhere, they work hard and give the employer good value for wages.

A few cautions
1. NH unemployment is one of the lowest rates in the nation, dont plan on living on it for long.
2. Its can start snowing in November and not stop until April, if you dont like winter and dont have winter recreation hobbies, you will not be happy. Most folks make it past the holidays and right around January 30th head south never to return if they dont like winter.
3. Its can get darn cold during the winter, it does dip to minus 20 on occasion in Jan and Feb and minus 30 overnight a couple of times per winter happens.
4. There are not a lot of free social services like soup kitchens, free clinics and homeless shelters, head to Portland Maine for that. In general they make it tough for most folks to get on welfare programs (although there is a depressing high number of unwed mothers living on the dole)
5. No state income tax and no sales tax is offset by a lot of taxes on tourist (room and meals tax) and very high property taxes (depdends on where you live)
6. Like it or not, there are plenty of 55 to 65 year olds in the area with the wrong skills and attitude who are looking for work until they qualify for social security, it you are in that category, its probably not a great place to move to.

Do note that many of the attributes to be successful in Northern NH are needed in many places.

Here is a link to the local newspaper, its online 4 days per week for free. This link has an article about the local employment activity.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/files/pdfarchivenew/BerlinPDF/2011/09_September/30B.pdf

4eyedbuzzard
09-30-2011, 11:07
Gorham / Berlin. Real estate has taken a huge hit in these towns due to mill closures over the past decade. The area was depressed before the current financial crisis, and the crisis only added to it. The Gorham mill has been recently purchased, and grand plans are proposed. The caveat is the general one regarding the pulp/paper industry - and how and who purchased it. The closed mill(s) have a long history of being sold between paper companies as the industry changed from the 1980's on. They just weren't profitable given the debt used to finance purchases and the increase in labor and fuel costs.

The most recent owner, Patriarch Partners, is headed by Lynn Tilton, aka the Diva of Distressed. Her business plan is buying failing business and turning them around. She has had some successes - but also some failures. Her company, Patriarch Partners, debt has been downgraded to junk status by S&P and others due to the inherent lack of financial disclosure in privately held companies. The speculation is that she is using more recent debt offerings (Zohar III CLO) to keep current on older CLO's (Zohar I and II) payments. Very fancy financing that is beyond the scope on discussion here on WB, but if you're interested google Forbes' articles on Lynn Tilton and Patriarch and Zohar. Also google Patriarch / Lynn Tilton lawsuits - there is a pattern of buying failing companies and then failing to pay suppliers and creditors, and then forcing the purchased business entity into bankruptcy to get rid of creditors, all while still retaining ownership ans continuing with operations. Lots of shadow companies, high leverage financing, private insider loans from one subsidiary (between the Zohar CLO's) to another, etc. I'd take a wait and see approach on whether or not the mill will put in the promised new paper machine and remain open. Note that this sale also comes with preferential tax treatment and infrastructure promises from the town, funding of which will have to come from fed and state grants and loans and other sources in the tax base (as in higher property taxes).

I'm not saying that it isn't good that the mill is reopened, and Ms Tilton is having some success I believe in Old Town, ME with an old mill there, but I wouldn't base a decision to move to the area based upon this alone. There are a lot of experienced former mill employees still unemployed and looking. And if I were a contractor / vendor, I'd only do business with them on a COD basis or 30 days net on small sums. No way I'd let them string out terms. Way too much bad history with American LaFrance, Oasis (water coolers), Stila Cosmetics, and others. Sorry, just the reality.

Many, if not all, of the federal prison jobs will unfortunately (if you are a local) likely go to current displaced federal employees within Dept of Correction, or those who can transfer from other positions. The fed hiring freeze policy includes the fed DOC (it is not part of Homeland Sec), and there are reductions at other DOC facilities, as well as lots of current fed employees in other depts caught up in fed job cuts. All will get preferential treatment. There just probably won't be a lot of new fed jobs for locals created for the foreseeable future.

I live up here too, but on the west side of the state, and I like the "North Country" in general. But if I were looking to relocate to a trail town in New England, Gorham just wouldn't be on my A list - it's just too, well, depressed (sorry to Gorham/Berlin folks). I'd look first at some other towns like Hanover, NH/ Norwich, VT area; Bennington, Manchester Center, VT; Franconia / Lincoln / Woodstock, Littleton NH, etc.

Anyway, just my opinion.

peakbagger
09-30-2011, 13:47
Good counterpoint, if it was just the papermill, I wouldnt have sent it out. Your list of alternatives are are all very high cost locations where housing is much more expensive. Franconia, Lincoln and Woodstock are almost entirely tourist economies, lots of seasonal work but far less permanent work. Littleton NH has numerous warehouse fullfillment jobs, but most folks live in Whitefield as housing is expensive in Littleton. Hanover is a great place but even doctors cant afford to live there. Benington and Manchester VT also are expensive places to live. Manchester is loaded with seasonal jobs but good luck finding year round at a living age plus the taxes in VT are significant.

As for the prison being staffed by relocations from other federal agencies, I dont see a lot of career federal workers in the 20 to 39 year old range relocating to northern NH as entry level employees for federal prison work. Most locals in the job market dont meet the 39 year old cutoff so it is expected that folks from outside the area will fill those jobs.

As for the depressed comment, it is in the eye of the beholder. I remember when Lincoln NH was depressed with a shut down papermill as you exited the Kancamagus highway.

The Solemates
09-30-2011, 14:02
what company is this 'biomass plant' you speak of? any info there as to jobs? website?

4eyedbuzzard
09-30-2011, 14:23
Yeah, I do realize that most of the places I listed are higher cost of living - mostly higher cost of housing to be exact. That goes with having more vibrant economies - not that anywhere is incredibly "vibrant" right now. I think a move to Gorham would be okay if someone can find employment there prior to moving in, but I would definitely rent and wouldn't touch buying a house there unless I wanted to retire there. The probability of increasing home property taxes is a factor everywhere, but especially in the Gorham/Berlin area as tax breaks are given to large ratables to help create/keep jobs, and the costs of more gov/social services are thrust onto town budgets in a dog and pony show of fed and state cost cutting. That and the history of the ups and downs of the aging paper mills honestly scares me - regardless of how cheap houses can be bought right now. I had a discussion at a leadership council with a long time state senator from the area last year regarding the general economic climate, the NH Grand initiative, gambling, the Gorham mill, how the gas pipeline was being funded, and the decline in manufacturing jobs, etc. We both had similar concerns especially regarding manufacturing jobs going away, and kind of ended on the note, "Other than healthcare and teaching, etc., what the hell are we going to do for anything beyond minimum wage jobs up here?" There are lots of ideas and programs floating around, but many just don't address the disparity in income we see occurring. We are quickly becoming a society of "haves" and "have nots", and it is more visible here in the North Country than in many other places.

4eyedbuzzard
09-30-2011, 14:31
what company is this 'biomass plant' you speak of? any info there as to jobs? website?The latest I have found on the project: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/9/prweb8823801.htm

hikerboy57
09-30-2011, 14:43
Gorham-A Nice Place to Visit.
Ive considered moving up there I dont know how many times, but was always concerned about employment.I met a couple who run a B&B just east of gorham who had given me a ride into town, told me they were originally from ny, bought th place a few years before. I asked about the winters, they said they can get a bit severe, but then again, look around and see where we live. its worth the tradeoff.
Id just like to make the point"be careful what you ask for".
Do you really want more people to move there to compete for less jobs?you may ruin the beauty you already have. sometimes change is not good.keep the local jobs for the locals. Ive got a job, so I have to be content with my semiannual trips up there.
but thanks for thinking of me.

Slo-go'en
09-30-2011, 17:46
Berlin gets a lot of welfare cases from down state moving in for (a) the cheap rent [large apartments go for as lilttle as 500 a month, with heat] and/or (b), the be close to a relative spending time in the state pen which was suppost to boost our economy (like the fed pen) but has not done so.

There is little or no new home construction going on, so if your a carpenter or general contractor, we have enough of them competing for the few home improvement jobs there are around.

If you want a job up here, better bring your own, like an internet buisness. Personally, when I moved here 20 some years ago, I started a TV repair shop and built a reputation for doing good work cheap. In a small town like Berlin where 80% of the residents are related one way or another, you need to keep a good reputation or you go down quick!

However, if your about to retire and don't need outside income, and if you like the mountains and winter sports, this is a good area to do so. Housing is about as cheap as you can find and the overall cost of living isn't too bad.

peakbagger
11-22-2011, 08:38
For those interested, the federal prison in Berlin NH was funded this weekend. There will be 300 jobs and the plan is that new hires will be 60% of the workforce. They have strict qualification guidelines and a maximum age limit of 37 for new hires. Given some of the qualifications, there will not be enough locals who will qualify. They are actively hiring now.

As discussed previously, the AT is just south of Berlin and the Mahoosucs are just east.

coach lou
11-22-2011, 09:28
I want to live in Polebridge, Montana!!!

10-K
11-22-2011, 09:44
My guess is that the south might be more attractive.

I know here in Erwin you're an easy commute from Asheville, Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol.

There are the usual service jobs but there are varied opportunites in other areas - if you have a CDL you'll easily get a job. Also, if you do anything in the medical field you could probably get a good job inside of 2 weeks.