PDA

View Full Version : Boots or Trail runners? HELP.

Maddoxsjohnston
09-30-2011, 22:07
Hey guys :D,

I am going to do a nice 50 miler AT section-hike in the Laurel Falls area on October 21-24/25. And after checking out my classic, tried-and-true Merrell Moab Mid Wide Width Waterproof (mouthfull..) boots, somewhat unusual feelings of unease ensues. I've got fairly large feet- I'm a 13. And I was wondering if I should make the switch to wearing my normal sneakers (Brooks Ravenna 2's- I'm a runner) on the trail.

I have no knee/leg problems; I'm young and chipper at 29 :cool:.

My question is what are the pros/cons of switching to my sneakers for this hike? Also, what sort of socks should I wear?

Thanks all,
Maddox

If anyones interested, links to both shoes:

Ravenna 2- http://www.brooksrunning.com/Ravenna-2/1100891D315.140,default,pd.html?start=5&cgid=mens-runningshoes-guidance

Merrel Boots- http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22764M/0/Mens/Moab-Mid-Waterproof-Wide-Width?dimensions=0

Joey C
10-01-2011, 06:11
I've had several pairs of great fitting boots. I almost always got blisters. The pounding my feet took on the trail caused my feet to swell slightly after a day of hiking. Also, my boots would be wet on the inside from perspiration or rain, and would never dry out. So, I switched to trail runners. Breathable, light, plenty of grip... never had a blister since.

Doc Mike
10-01-2011, 09:33
Trail runners and darn tough socks.

Lyle
10-01-2011, 10:00
I would go with light trail runners of some sort. You still want good, lug soles.

Did you see the article in the current AT Journeys? The one about DWG? Apparantly, they used to keep buckets and Epsom Salts on hand for hikers to soak their feet in following the PA rocks. They no longer do that since most hikers are now using lightweight shoes instead of heavy boots.

I will join the others who say that blisters used to be a part of hiking, no matter what boots I used. Since switching, not a single blister, even starting out with brand new trail runners.

Regarding socks, use what you find comfortable. I still like the cushion of wool socks, usually ankle length unless it's a late/early season hike when the extra warmth of over the ankle socks is welcome.

Hooch
10-01-2011, 10:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-k5J4RxQdE

Odd Man Out
10-01-2011, 22:43
I've had several pairs of great fitting boots. I almost always got blisters. The pounding my feet took on the trail caused my feet to swell slightly after a day of hiking. Also, my boots would be wet on the inside from perspiration or rain, and would never dry out. So, I switched to trail runners. Breathable, light, plenty of grip... never had a blister since.

What do you think makes the trail runners prevent blisters? Is it the breathability? If so, maybe the OP could consider the Moab Ventillators low cut not waterproof (more like trail-tunners?). I love those shoes. Also, I have tried the waterproof and non-waterproof versions of the same shoe and find they fit very differently. For me, the waterproof version was very uncomfortable but the originals were wonderful. I recently replaced my Moabs with Refuge Core Ventilators. Very similar (lots of breathable mesh), but the mesh doesn't go quite as far down the sides, so it gives a little more protection from standing water. I like them as much as my original Moabs. Something to consider.

SassyWindsor
10-02-2011, 00:40
For a long hike I use high quality Italian Boots. Day hikes I usualy use trail shoes.

Maddoxsjohnston
10-02-2011, 11:47
Thanks all! I know this section is really rocky, so I think I'll go for the boots; they're really well broken in, and provide nice ankle support. The last thing I'd want is to roll an ankle and have driven 300+ miles for nothing!

hambone5126
10-02-2011, 17:32

^doc knows whats up^

sbhikes
10-02-2011, 18:17
Hey guys :D,

I am going to do a nice 50 miler AT section-hike in the Laurel Falls area on October 21-24/25. And after checking out my classic, tried-and-true Merrell Moab Mid Wide Width Waterproof (mouthfull..) boots, somewhat unusual feelings of unease ensues. I've got fairly large feet- I'm a 13. And I was wondering if I should make the switch to wearing my normal sneakers (Brooks Ravenna 2's- I'm a runner) on the trail.

I'd stick with the tried and true Merrells for this hike and not get something new.

To put this into some sort of perspective for you. If I was hiking the PCT your 50 miler would have been 2 days. Even my worst shoes would have lasted 2 more days. You are planning a 5 day trip. I'm sure your old shoes that aren't even totally worn out will go 5 more days.

Plodderman
10-02-2011, 19:13
I also wear a size 13 and have been in trail runners for the past ten years. Never will go back to boots.

Maddoxsjohnston
10-04-2011, 20:37
I'd stick with the tried and true Merrells for this hike and not get something new.

To put this into some sort of perspective for you. If I was hiking the PCT your 50 miler would have been 2 days. Even my worst shoes would have lasted 2 more days. You are planning a 5 day trip. I'm sure your old shoes that aren't even totally worn out will go 5 more days.

When I said that I meant the night before at the hostel and the drive home as well :D I was planning on hiking for two to three days, depending on conditions. :p

Also, I purchased a new pair of trail runners the North Face Hedgehog GTX XCR's and have started to break them in, work great so far :D

If anyones interested...
http://www.rei.com/product/811478/the-north-face-hedgehog-iii-gtx-xcr-hiking-shoes-mens

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2011, 20:46
Trail Runners - less weight.

strollingalong
10-05-2011, 18:43
500 miles in 4 weeks and if i remember correctly, 2 small blisters.... trail shoes. wouldnt ever consider boots after seeing booted casualties

nuevoluna
10-05-2011, 21:49
In my opinion, trail runners!
I've hiked a good deal on the Allegheny Trail, every season but winter and I found that I seriously got blisters from boots. I switched to trail runners and then light, breathable sneakers and I found that I had better grip on the trail, fewer blisters and had more energy after a hike (boots can be a great deal of weight). Make sure you get some wool socks-- the type that work well no matter which season (usually the thick, wicking type).

QiWiz
10-05-2011, 22:17
Trail runners and (Vermont) Darn Tough socks.

+1

I use New Balance 4E's

Sensei
10-06-2011, 01:50

^^^THIS.

After switching to trail runners I will never hike in anything else. I'm a size 12 with slightly wider than average feet and I love the way Brooks runners fit me. Plus they're built like tanks: I just put 1,200 miles on a pair of Cascadia 6's (the 5's were even better. sigh...)

Chuch
10-06-2011, 10:30
I'm another guy who is with Doc above. Salomon's and Darn Toughs for me every time. I prefer the crew socks with cushion on the bottom. Knowing my feet sweat terribly, this has proved to be a great set up for me. I have an extremely wide size ten, so I use the wide style trail runner XA 3D ultra 2. Their boots like the quest are made on a wider last which is why you will not find a wide version. If you ever look for boots, try on an Asolo wide and a Salomon regular:) Those European boots are not made for us wide footed folk. I do own a pair of quests as well.

TyTy
10-06-2011, 13:40
I am actually starting to think that boots are not only not as good as trail runner style shoes but that they are detrimental. My last trip after 11 miles I had blisters on both heels and a blackening toenail on my left foot. Everyone I talk to manages blisters in their boots...so what good are they? If everyone is getting blisters in them, blisters are debilitating, take your focus off the experience, and can become infected. So why do we need boots to walk in the outdoors?

As far as ankle support...put your boot on one foot, tennis shoes on the other. Step on the side of your foot on each of them...is the boot really providing any support from rolling your ankle? I have some high dollar Italian leather boots, very stiff, and they provide no real ankle support. If your boots are high enough and stuff enough to provide REAL ankle support they probably weight a TON and you are probably managing blisters every second you have them on.

I see no advantage whatsoever with boots other than keeping your feet warm in cold/wet conditions but even then I think they can be detrimental as they take longer to dry out and probably are still giving you blisters.

For me...I'm done with boots forever I think.

Maddoxsjohnston
10-07-2011, 17:10
I am actually starting to think that boots are not only not as good as trail runner style shoes but that they are detrimental. My last trip after 11 miles I had blisters on both heels and a blackening toenail on my left foot. Everyone I talk to manages blisters in their boots...so what good are they? If everyone is getting blisters in them, blisters are debilitating, take your focus off the experience, and can become infected. So why do we need boots to walk in the outdoors?

As far as ankle support...put your boot on one foot, tennis shoes on the other. Step on the side of your foot on each of them...is the boot really providing any support from rolling your ankle? I have some high dollar Italian leather boots, very stiff, and they provide no real ankle support. If your boots are high enough and stuff enough to provide REAL ankle support they probably weight a TON and you are probably managing blisters every second you have them on.

I see no advantage whatsoever with boots other than keeping your feet warm in cold/wet conditions but even then I think they can be detrimental as they take longer to dry out and probably are still giving you blisters.

For me...I'm done with boots forever I think.

Indeed. The only time I use boots are in cold conditions (around 15 degrees and below) or where there's not really an established trails. Hence the name TRAIL runners, they're not quite as successful without the, ahem, trail.

Spokes
10-07-2011, 17:27
Hoka One One (pronounced oh-ney, oh-ney) trail shoes are a big thing among the ultra running cult. The have EVA mid-soles and lots of cushion. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't start creeping into the hiker community next year.

Here's a probably totally biased review (http://www.seriousrunning.com/blog/shoes/hoka-one-one-trail-running-shoes/) of the shoe. Interesting the creators came from Saloman

Heard it here first!

Fredt4
10-12-2011, 18:08
I wore hedgehogs on my thru-hike (Hedgehog's gortex) and not a single blister. Most, if not all hikers wearing runners were extremely me happy with them. Not the same for hikers wearing boots.

SassyWindsor
10-12-2011, 20:44
It never fails to amaze me how someone can start a multi-day hike, much less a thru-hike, and not know what footwear is best for them. This learned by day or weekend hikes, in other words: short trips. I guess this is one of the main reasons REI has so many footwear returns and many scratch/dent sales.

rdaviskiwi
10-12-2011, 20:59
I am preparing for a thru in march. I have been hiking with a full pack. I have been wearing a pair of vasque boots that was not cheap but have had a couple years but have not worn much. I have got blisters each hike I wore the boots then I went to a pair of merrell's that I had and went more miles than with boots and no blisters. Guess what I will be wearing in march. People should really test their gear, shoes and themselves before they actually leave on a thru hike. I know I am trying to test and prepare as much as I can.

Papa D
10-12-2011, 22:32
Lighter and fairly fit people do better in trail runners. People that want a lot of "support" which I think is way overrated prefer boots. I wear trail runners until the snow is way too deep for them - and sometimes even when it is.

Barbarosa
10-13-2011, 06:35
Trail runners are optimal if:

you pack weight is relatively light (less than 30 all in)
you have good ankles
you are reasonably fit

Boots are necessary if hiking in winter or if the above criteria are not met.

TyTy
10-13-2011, 09:42
If you like The North Face Hedgehogs, check out the Crestone, I tried both, liked the lacing system better in the Crestone but I liked and would wear either. Also you can find them cheaper than REI if you shop around, I paid $67 for a pair of non-goretex, low tops recently.

I do not believe in the boots = ankle support theory. I think that is a complete myth unless you are talking about really heavy, really high, mountaineering style. For any kind of hiking or backpacking boot, put your boot on, lace it up and then put weight on the side of your foot. Is that thing really going to stop your ankle from rolling? I have had several heavy leather hunting and hiking boots, most recently a 4300 pair of Zamberlan backpacking boots (not the typical REI kind, special order, heavy duty suckers) and I get no real ankle support from them. I have done this same experiment with about 20 pairs of high end backpacking boots from various Italian brands, Kennertrek, Hanwag, Asolo, etc and I see no real ankle support. I think that myth comes from the feeling of a high cut boot hugging your ankle, it makes you feel like it gives you ankle support in a way but your ankle does not stay stationary it moves inside the boot and the boot turns with the off camber pressure. After I switched to trail shoes now I feel like I was more likely to roll an ankle in a boot cause you have that high sole that puts leverage on your ankle.

Live_for_hiking
10-13-2011, 18:33
I recently started using a pair of Keen trail shoes and so far so good. I am wondering one thing though .... Is waterproof or more breathable the preferred way to go?

Del Q
10-13-2011, 21:11
Trail runners or low tops that you like..........we walk in low top shoes in our everday life...........less weight, ankle support is questionable with boots, ski boots, now they provide ankle support.

My preference is low tops, works a lot better for me. I also stopped bringing crocs or flip flops, extra bulk and extra weight.........

wwbriggs
10-13-2011, 21:19
Trail Runners - Merrell Tough Glove, Trail Glove, or Sonic. New Balance Minimus. I have wore New Balance Minimus and Merrell Trail Gloves for hiking and backpacking. Don't see myself going back to boots or regular running shoes. I may wear my Merrell Gortex lightweight boots if it is really muddy and colder, but that is still a maybe as I am going to try to go the trail runners next trip this weekend along the Chattooga River. http://www.runblogger.com/2011/06/merrell-barefoot-sonic-glove-first.html

wwbriggs
10-13-2011, 21:25
I do not believe in the boots = ankle support theory. I think that is a complete myth unless you are talking about really heavy, really high, mountaineering style. For any kind of hiking or backpacking boot, put your boot on, lace it up and then put weight on the side of your foot. Is that thing really going to stop your ankle from rolling?

I agree. I snapped my ankle and Achilles Tendon in a pair of full leather combat boots when I was in the Army. Boots do not equal ankle support, they do equal more weight and less feel of the trail in most cases. I personally like the feel of the trail as it lets me know when I am about to take something bad on that old injured ankle and I am able to shift my weight to compensate.

smokeeater908
10-13-2011, 21:52
I be honest with you I absolutely love my Vibram Five Fingers, I wear them for around 25 miles a week on the trail

TyTy
10-14-2011, 10:58
I think the boots = ankle support just comes from the feeling of the leather hugging your ankle but if your boot is stiff enough, high enough, and laced tight enough to provide real stability...you are probably wearing some massive mountaineering boot that is super over kill. Any backpacking, hunting, or combat boot I think only provides a false sense of support.

SassyWindsor
10-14-2011, 12:14
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22522 (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22522)

The military, UK and USA, have also done research in regards to this question. I, personally, opt for boots when traveling with backpack to lessen plantar pressure and whatever ankle support boots offer. Trail shoes are great when the weight is off and you're not traveling through briers and other obstacles.