PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Products Dry Sacks

fireneck
10-01-2011, 01:48
I bought these (http://outdoorproducts.com/Products/3-pack-ultimate-dry-sack/58) today at Wal-Mart for under $10. The largest bag (8L) can fit all of my clothes. I know I'll be using the smaller one for all my electronics.

They will probably work better with a good coat of waterproofing!

Has anyone used these?

jjebb58
10-01-2011, 02:16
How much can i expect to spend on the trail, if i dont plan on using many hotels or hostels on a thru hike?

Rocket Jones
10-01-2011, 08:18
I have a set of these and they've held up well, but I don't trust them as drysacks for that price. I use the small blue one for my first aid/ditty bag (wish the little one were red) with ziplocks inside for sorting and further protection, and the green one is my short-trip kitchen and food bag. When worried about wet, they sit inside my compactor bag liner as an extra layer of protection.

I'd suggest testing them and see how they do. Fill them with water and see if and where they leak.

I haven't tested them myself, because I'm lazy and it's easier to give advice than to actually do it myself. ;)

harryfred
10-01-2011, 09:00
I used them last week as food sacks and they worked as well as more expensive REI sack. If you need to keep something dry put it in a good zip lock or in a compactor/contractor trash bag and do not put anyhting wet or damp in with it.

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2011, 09:19
I carry the two larger ones in the pack, one for clothes, the other for food. I've used them as a water bag to haul water back to shelter/camp several times. Might weep a drop or two from the stitching (even the high priced stuff does), but they are pretty damn waterproof. Just another example (like the grease pot, cat stove, fleece from the Sal, etc) of inexpensive gear being perfectly fine.

Rocket Jones
10-01-2011, 10:59
I'd never thought of using one to haul water in camp. What a great idea!

dandandan
10-01-2011, 12:32
I have those and used the largest as my hanging food/bear bag in constant rains the 4 nights i was on the trail in Ga in March and everything stayed perfectly dry. Like others have said, if the price worries you then you can always add more protection by keeping them inside a pack liner but IMO it's not necessary.

nehiker
10-01-2011, 12:55
I have a set of these and they've held up well, but I don't trust them as drysacks for that price. ;)

Price is not everything. They could be made by the same Chinese company as the OR bags.

fireneck
10-01-2011, 13:58
Excellent! Thanks for the input!

At the summer camp I used to work at we used these bags to keep radios dry on cave and kayak tours. Just wanted to make sure it was not a fluke.

ScottS
10-03-2011, 02:00
I had them and they didn't last long at all. The one holding my stove (GSI soloist) had a hole within a week and the others were becoming worn, too.

ScottS
10-03-2011, 02:23
I had them and they didn't last long at all. The one holding my stove (GSI soloist) had a hole within a week and the others were becoming worn, too.

4eyedbuzzard
10-03-2011, 07:23
I had them and they didn't last long at all. The one holding my stove (GSI soloist) had a hole within a week and the others were becoming worn, too.A bit confused. The GSI soloist is a cookset. Did you have a stove of some kind in there with it, not inside the soloist set? I can see where the edges of the pot support on a stove like a pocket rocket might poke through fabric, but the smooth edges of a pot/cookset shouldn't. Most folks have had pretty good luck with these relatively cheap sacks.