PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil vs msr

froggfeathers
10-01-2011, 12:05
I have the msr dualist and do like it when I backpack in pairs. However I see the jetboil now and then for sale around here and it goes like fried icecream. The thing is I just can't see how it works since you would be trying to cook your food and your coffee from the same pan? I'd love some education here plz.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2011, 12:08
Eat, then drink. Or drink, then eat. Or carry a mug, so you can drink and eat. Or a bowl, so you can eat and drink.

froggfeathers
10-01-2011, 12:34
Do you cook your food in the jetboil or do you only pack add water only meals?

Hooch
10-01-2011, 12:36
Either. Both. Whatever.

seminoles
10-01-2011, 12:37
I only boil water for my meals, coffee, soup, etc.

4eyedbuzzard
10-01-2011, 12:39
Both. Depends on what I'm cooking. If it has to simmer a bit, I'll cook in the pot. I'll then eat out of the pot, rinse it and then make coffee. I'm trying to do more freezer bag cooking lately, but taste still reigns supreme. It ain't that hard to clean a pot.

Sarcasm the elf
10-01-2011, 12:49
Do you cook your food in the jetboil or do you only pack add water only meals?

I have an older model JetBoil that had some issues with the regulator being oversensitive, it basically had two settings, off and full blast. Because of this, I try to only boil water with it in the field, any kind of cooking leaves lots charred food on the sides that takes repeated scrubbings to remove. On the plus side, I've never seen anything that boils water so fast while using so little fuel. They may have fixed this issue with the models that came out in the last few years, but I wouldn't buy another one unless I had a chance to try it out before hand.

If you're looking for solo stove, I'd recommend you look at something that is closer in design to the MSR pocket rocket. Small, light, fairly inexpensive and has good temperature control.

Frog
10-01-2011, 14:34
I have a jet boil and a snow peak stove that is like the pocket rocket. I use the jet boil on trips where i only need boiling water as it is the best for just boiling water. If i am going to cook a meal in a pot i will take the snow peak stove. The jet boil is no doubt much better in a windy situation but is mostly just for boiling water.

froggfeathers
10-01-2011, 23:34
Thanks a bunch for the input. I've kind of been holding my ground and only using refillable fuel (white gas whisperlite) because I think It's the environmentally responsible option, but now you can punch a hole in the spent containers and recycle them so I don't feel quite so guilty. I do appreciate the info.

Frogg

4eyedbuzzard
10-02-2011, 09:31
Thanks a bunch for the input. I've kind of been holding my ground and only using refillable fuel (white gas whisperlite) because I think It's the environmentally responsible option, but now you can punch a hole in the spent containers and recycle them so I don't feel quite so guilty. I do appreciate the info.

Frogg

You've always been able to do this (punch a hole and recycle). Just attach the empty canister to your stove, open the valve to ensure that it is empty and vented, and use an old fashioned church key to put a hole in the bottom. No need to buy jetboil's pr other mfg's fancy hole punch tools at $5 to $10 each - giving new life to those old church keys as well ;).

Two Tents
10-02-2011, 10:02
I just saw ( sorry, I do not recall where ) and made a simple adapter for my Jetboil. It is a large, light weight cat food can that fits on the top of the Jetboil stove. It allows the use of almost any pan. You simply open the can, empty, clean, and carefully cut out the bottom and paper punch a row of vent holes around the top edge. I used it, turned down the flame down as far as it would go and made grilled cheese in my one egg wonder fry pan. It shows potential for when I do a hike and want to do more than boil water.

Pedaling Fool
10-02-2011, 10:44
You've always been able to do this (punch a hole and recycle). Just attach the empty canister to your stove, open the valve to ensure that it is empty and vented, and use an old fashioned church key to put a hole in the bottom. No need to buy jetboil's pr other mfg's fancy hole punch tools at $5 to $10 each - giving new life to those old church keys as well ;).
It's so easy to make money in America:D

Sarcasm the elf
10-02-2011, 10:50
It's so easy to make money in America:D

I was dumbstruck when I saw the jetboil empty canister hole-poker thingy for sale at my local outfitter for ten bucks. It was on the same display as the backpacker's wine glasses and opposite the backpackers toilet paper. I wish I could put a smiley on this post, but I'm being serious.

froggfeathers
10-03-2011, 17:25
Wonderful. Love the adaptor also. I learn so much on this site. Thanks a ton!