PDA

View Full Version : Clip in liner for Double Rainbow

Chaco Taco
10-01-2011, 16:45
Anyone have the clip in liner for the Henry Shires Double Rainbow? I am thinking about getting it for my tent and wanted to get some feedback.

Franco
10-01-2011, 18:23
Hi Chaco Taco
My Rainbow can't take it (I could add the clip[s to do it...) but having experimented with the one for the Moment I would not bother.
The reason is that I am happy enough to wipe the tent down a few times if needed and that gives me a smaller and lighter shelter to carry and easier also to pack dry in the morning.
I just had three days and two night of continuous rain camped next to a river.(we moved up to the snow the next day...)
The first night I only wiped down as I got into the tent and then listen to some music for 3 hours. By then I had several sprays from condensation knocked off the Contrail.
It felt like it was rain penetrating (it was raining hard) but the mist stopped as soon as I wiped again.
Wiped down again once during the night when I woke up for my nightly pee.
The second night I wiped a couple of times before falling asleep and at around 3 AM. Maybe I had one or two spray but could not tell in the morning.
My mate was in his Moment, also got sprayed a few times but he also prefers just to wipe rather than using the liner.
(actually he does not bother with wiping but the shell of his bag is waterproof...)
Franco

stilllife
10-02-2011, 17:08
Wow! Having to wipe your tent down two to three times a night and even after you go pee? That is ridiculous. I'm a beginner, but how could someone enjoy themselves having to do that, needing a waterproof bag to stay dry?

Chaco Taco
10-02-2011, 17:13
Wow! Having to wipe your tent down two to three times a night and even after you go pee? That is ridiculous. I'm a beginner, but how could someone enjoy themselves having to do that, needing a waterproof bag to stay dry?

If you reread the post, he also states that he was in continuous rain for 3 days. Even in a double wall there is going to be moisture to deal with if you have really heavy rain and varying conditions like rain then snow. Just breathing inside your tent will cause condensation.

Soooo back to the original question, Im looking at the clip in liner for my double rainbow, any other suggestions?

Don H
10-02-2011, 17:42
Think Sham-WOW

XCskiNYC
10-02-2011, 18:34

The tent weighs 30 ounces and packs down to 21 by 4.5 inches. It sets up by attaching one pole, sinking two stakes, and adjusting a couple of line tighteners (two minutes max). Takedown is similarly quick and easy.

It has plenty of room to sleep in and you can comfortably sit up in the center.

I'd probably be up two or three times in the middle of the night anyway so having to wipe off some moisture from the ceiling wouldn't be a big hardship.

Franco: how much moisture comes through, does it just get the ceiling wet or does it drip down on gear and get that wet too? I haven't yet had mine (Moment) in heavy enough rain to have moisture build up on the ceiling.

Franco
10-02-2011, 18:59
Hi XC
Not sure about the Moment because my friend elected to ignore the mist, he was too busy enjoying the sound of the rain and the river flowing by.
(hint : heavy non wind driven rain and a river a few meters away are one of the best environments for condensation...)
So since we chose to increase our chances to have condensation, I did have to wipe the top half of the tent down a few times.
The mist was simply that condensation being knocked off the fly by the rain.
(so no rain was penetrating...)
Do keep in mind that I had my down bag out for two days and nights and was still just a bit damp not wet. The dampness was due to the air being saturated .
My mate should drop his SD card in this afternoon so that I can get some pics from him to make a short movie clip.
That is mostly to show how a Contrail (mine...) can remain perfectly taut under heavy rain.
Franco

Chaco Taco
10-02-2011, 19:35
Think Sham-WOW

That is what I do now, BUT WHAT I AM ASKING ABOUT IS THE CLIP IN LINER?

I already use a sham-wow type cloth, but am wondering what others experience is with the clip in liner. I have had my DR in downpours and have not had too much of an issue with condensation but on trips where I have had multiple days of rain or moisture, I am wondering if the clip in liner would help with extra moisture.

-SEEKER-
10-02-2011, 19:40
I use my clip in liner for the Double Rainbow when I am expecting heavy downpours or cold temps since it supposedly helps add some warmth (?).

Chaco Taco
10-02-2011, 19:42
I use my clip in liner for the Double Rainbow when I am expecting heavy downpours or cold temps since it supposedly helps add some warmth (?).

Supposedly???

-SEEKER-
10-02-2011, 19:57
Supposedly???

Yeah. I tend to be a shelter user out of laziness so I don't have enough cold weather use to testify as to whether it does actually add warmth.

Franco
10-02-2011, 21:47
For what is worth, about 1/3 of Rainbow/DR buyers order that liner as also do about 1/4 of Moment customers.
Henry first tested the one for the Moment in Scotland doing the TGO challenge and he found it useful there to keep himself away from the walls.
So it may reduce some condensation (I don't think so...) but it will catch the drips from mist and keep your head/shoulder dry if you are prone to rub against the wall.
Again both my walking mate and I don't use it any longer because we don't mind the wiping bit.
If I were in a constant humid environment then I would reconsider it.
Franco

Chaco Taco
10-02-2011, 23:06
Thanks franco. Thats the type of info I was looking for

Sailor (The other one)
10-03-2011, 09:49
We used a DR for about four years, in Florida heat and humidity, 23 degrees F in north Georgia, day-long downpours. Had the liner. Never had to wipe down. Glad we had it.

Franco
10-03-2011, 16:51
And here is the mini movie.
Sorry about the sound and crappy vision but you will get the idea...
http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/31PNJTJwdGg
Franco

rpenczek
10-10-2011, 13:05
I have a DR and use the liner. Most of my backpacking in in Central/Southern IN in the spring/summer/fall. In a HUGE downpoor for an extended period of time, the liner catches the misting that might occur (I tend to believe misting is really my hot breath on the inside being knocked off rather than water coming through) and sends it to the ends of the tent and not dripping or misting on me. Also, as mentioned, it keeps a bit of material between me and the tent walls that sometimes have condensation. Of course, as we all know, if you vent them (single wall tents) more, you have less condensation.

If I were purchasing a DR again, I would spend the extra money for the liner.

Hosaphone
10-11-2011, 13:26
After reading this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?68991-Tarptent-question) I was wishing I had bought the liner with my rainbow. Then I saw Franco's solution at the bottom of this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?62409-Misting-in-a-Tarptent-Cloudburst2&highlight=misting).

Here's a link to youtube clip of his solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnkGIz9cco&feature=channel_video_title

I'm hoping that this spray, which will add ~1.5oz, coupled with good site selection and wiping down at night if there's condensation, will do the trick for me.

Berserker
10-12-2011, 12:39
I have the Double Rainbow and the liner. After having used it a few times it does keep one from rubbing against any condensation, and also resolves the misting issue. The only downside is that it seems to be cut such that if water accumulates on top of it to where it runs off, that runoff actually pools on the floor of the tent in the corners. Not sure if this has been resolved in later revisions of the DR since I bought one when it first came out.