PDA

View Full Version : Average Mileage Through the Whites

Van Lloyden
02-25-2005, 12:35
I'm planning a trip in June with a buddy of mine and I am curious as to what some of your daily mileages were through the Whites on the AT. Any suggestions would be helpful becuase I've read many places that 6-8 mile days should be planned. Normally, that would take us about 2.5 hours.

Our info:

We'll have hiked a few hundered miles before then.
We normally average around 20 miles a day
Our base weight is about 12 lbs each
Don't like to finish at 4pm and sit at camp. Though arriving at camp way after dark isn't all that appealing
We'll be headed North

The Solemates
02-25-2005, 12:46
I would say given your hiking agenda and the fact that you will have hiked several hundreds of miles before the Whites, you could easily do 12-15 mpd minimum. On our thru we were averaging 20mpd or so before the Whites and cut it back to 14 mpd or so for the Whites, and we werent really pushing it that hard. We always took breaks at the huts and generally lazed our way thru.

Van Lloyden
02-25-2005, 13:14
That's what I needed to hear. that makes the itinerary not look nearly as ominous.

Footslogger
02-25-2005, 13:52
That's what I needed to hear. that makes the itinerary not look nearly as ominous.==================================
Given your age the Solemates experience may be closer to yours but just to throw out another hiker's experience ...I found it challenging to make 10 - 11 miles/day in the Whites during my thru in 2003. And that was hiking all the way from Springer. I might be at the low end of the hiker spectrum but that was my experience.

'Slogger

Van Lloyden
02-25-2005, 14:33
No, your input helps a great deal. The mileage you mentioned is very helpful. that still betas the 6-8 recomendations I've read.

I just had a huge fear that the itinerary would be too ambitious and I wouldn't be able to get back to work in time or I'd miss a flight.

I think I had slated 16-18 mile days through the whites with one 20 mile day followed by a zero day.

It has been difficult for me becuase these days if I plan a 15 miles day I'm making either making a lot of stops that day or I've hit camp way too early.

Anybodyhave any good suggestions on average temperatures in June for NE?

Frosty
02-25-2005, 14:38
I think I had slated 16-18 mile days through the whites with one 20 mile day followed by a zero day.Some parts are tougher than others, so it depends on where the 20 mile day is. Pinkham Notch to Gorham would be a mean day's hike with a backpack, and so would 20 miles starting at Franconia Notch.

But after you pass south Twin (heading north) it's easy hauling all the way to Craford Notch.

But I'm sure you've seen the profiles.

Biggest factor might be the weather.

rickb
02-25-2005, 14:53
Some folks mileage is also kept down by decisions to layup at Nauman/Mitzpah, or even Liberty Springs-- either because its rainy/cloudy and they dont want to miss the best views on the Trail and/or because the next place to camp is too far down the Trail.

And kept down because there is no such thing as a switchback in NH, of course.

Its all great, though.

Rick B

A-Train
02-25-2005, 17:23
I would generally agree with the Solemates, as I'm a hiker in the similar age and miles range. However for the Whites, I'd tend to shy away from having a more optimistic schedule miles wise, because of weather and scenary. I cut my miles from 20 to 12-15 thru New Hampshire, mainly to be able to hang out and enjoy views and take my time on the ridgewalks that are so unique and seldom on the AT. You certainly could cover 17 miles a day thru the Whites without too many problems, but I wouldn't have a strict schedule. To me this section differed with weather. In Vermont or Virginia if its pouring its just as easy to put your head down and bang out 20 miles, but in the Whites it can mean literally needing to hike to the next hut or shelter to get out of the elements. You don't wanna put yourself in a bind where you HAVE to hike 18 miles over the northern presidentials in a lightning storm.
Likewise as mentioned above, there are certain sections that are tougher than others. The 15 miles from Lakes Hut to Pinkham felt like I had hiked 25 miles and I was beat. But there were other sections where you could easily maintain a brisk 2-3 miles per hour if you wanted to.

Good luck!

rocket04
02-25-2005, 19:14
I agree with A-Train. The morning I was to go up Mount Washington from Lake of the Clouds hut, it was raining, cold, and really foggy. It was hard to see where the hell you were going. I remember Dharma set out anyway, but he came back because conditions were dangerous. So beware of setting strict mileage goals for the Whites, safety goes first. With good conditions, I bet you could bang out some 15-20 days if you have to, but you may not want to once you see how nice the Whites are.

Footslogger
02-25-2005, 19:16
I bet you could bang out some 15-20 days if you have to, but you may not want to once you see how nice the Whites are.========================================
That might have been part of my problem (if you'd call it a problem). I was so awe struck in the Whites that I did a lot of stopping and gazing. I no doubt could have covered more miles in a day ...but quite frankly, I didn't want to.

'Slogger

rocket04
02-25-2005, 19:26
========================================
That might have been part of my problem (if you'd call it a problem). I was so awe struck in the Whites that I did a lot of stopping and gazing. I no doubt could have covered more miles in a day ...but quite frankly, I didn't want to.

'Slogger hehehe, I know what you mean. I was glad that I had done some 30 milers in Pennsylvania because it allowed me to do some 6-7 mile days in the Whites and in Maine just because I could.

Askus3
02-25-2005, 22:29
Don't be totally shocked if you run into snow fields or a snow squall in June especially above treeline and that can slow you down considerably.

Smooth03
02-26-2005, 17:00
Another aspect which I believe was sorta touched on is that because some of the trail is above tree line and there are some restrictions on stealthing, you can't be as flexible with your mileage. Which as A-Train pointed out isn't a problem in VA or elsewhere where you can just bang out the 5 miles to the next shelter, or spring, etc. Its much more difficult in the Whites to be flexible.

I SOBOed and averaged about 9 miles per day in Maine(a literal average) and then did about 13 through The Whites and then 17 through Vermont. But like may are saying no need to rush yourself. The Whites are amazing and should be enjoyed. As well as all the good food you can yogi! I'll never forget the veggie chili at Lakes of the Clouds Hut.

Peaks
02-26-2005, 17:54
The general rule of thumb for hiking the AT through the Whites is to take your average daily mileage and divide by two. The reasons for this have been previously cited: tough climbs and descents, scenery, weather, places to camp, etc.

If you want to figure out what your mileage from one point to another, then I suggest buying the AMC White Mountain Guide. It has "book times" for all trails, many in both directions. So, you can plan your day to day.

For what it's worth, I spent 9 days going from Glencliff to Gorham. That's probably a day or two longer than most.

Van Lloyden
02-28-2005, 11:50
Some very valid points have been made, for instance....the views.

Got to be honest I dig some good views and I don't know if I want to be plowing straight through them. Maybe a plan of 14 miles would be more realistic.

Thanks for the insight.

What is the weather usually like in June in the Whites.

The Solemates
02-28-2005, 12:04
What is the weather usually like in June in the Whites.

You could have snow and raging winds. You could have 60 degree days and sun. for the most part in the Whites, we had good weather. we went through in the beginning of June. it was typically 50s during the day and 30s at night. we did, however, have one day that was horrible and downright dangerous. across mt washington, a lightening storm came up and steady winds of 80mph with gusts up over 120mph were recorded. when we reached the visitor center, the rangers werent allowing anyone back out on the trails. visibility was about 10 feet. they required that you get a ride down with the shuttle. when we got to the valley, it was 60 and sunny. strange place. "worst weather in the world."