PDA

View Full Version : Is my 17 year old 20 degree bag too old to keep me warm?

cbrown73
10-01-2011, 21:57
I am planning a trip the first weekend in November from Tray Gap to NC. My synthetic 20 degree winter bag was purchased 17 years ago.

I have a newer bag, Coleman Cayman 32x, rated to 32 degrees. The Coleman bag did well on a trip last September but it only got down to the 40's.

Historic temperatures for this area (Hiawassee, GA)are running on average in the mid thirty's. Is is possible that my old bag can still make it on a trip this late in the year?

Sly
10-01-2011, 22:01
Synthetic bags loft break down over time due to compression. It's possible a 20* bag will keep you warm in 30* temps but you'll be carrying unnecessary weight. Of the two I'd carry which ever is the lightest.

Elder
10-01-2011, 22:18
Try washing the "old" bag with Downey fabric softener, then dry with a tennis shoe to create static.
Watch it loft.
Good results for most, occasionally it doesn't do much.
Cheap test/clean bag!

johnnybgood
10-01-2011, 22:22
A 20 degree synthetic bag of 17 years is not likely to hold that rating unless the bag has been uncompressed and cared for after every hike , i.e. removing dirt and stains which can lead to a breaking down of the material over time.

Panzer1
10-01-2011, 22:38
I would go with the 20 degree bag. If your still woried get a bag liner that will give you more warmth. I saw one at L.L.Bean that claims to give you another 25 degrees. weight 14 ounces, $60

Panzer

Sarcasm the elf
10-01-2011, 22:50
Not sure about Synthetic bags, but I still use my 19 year old bargain brand 20 degree down bag for most of my trips and it's still useful to almost it's rated temperature. If temps are going to be in the 30's (as you expect for your trip) then I have a jacket and usually long underwear with me anyway, if I'm cold in the bag I just throw one of these items on and go back to sleep.

Wise Old Owl
10-01-2011, 23:30
Wow - todays new synthetics are far better and lighter, fabrics are stronger and thiner - I would say RETIRE it. I haven hung onto any bag more than ten years - old and heavy.

grayfox
10-01-2011, 23:40
Don't count the bag out just because its old. There are so many factors involved in how warm a bag sleeps--materials, design, storage method, number of use nights, number of washings, how much compression it has suffered....and on and on.

Specs for bags used to list inches of loft, don't seem to see that as much these days. I would wash and dry the bag if it needs it--or just loft it up in a cool dryer. Then lay it out on the floor and measure how thick it is. You can compare it to your other bag to guess at the present temp rating for your old bag. There is no real chart of loft to temp, but as a ballpark figure I would guess that I would want about three inches of loft at freezing temps.

Also, from my own experience, try putting the bag in a stuff sack, not compressed, a warm old bag will feel soft like a pillow and a cold old bag will feel hard as the fibers have broken down.

The Solemates
10-02-2011, 13:13
A 20 degree synthetic bag of 17 years is not likely to hold that rating unless the bag has been uncompressed and cared for after every hike , i.e. removing dirt and stains which can lead to a breaking down of the material over time.

I have a 1993 north face cats meow that is a 15 degree bag that I still use to this d ay. It has never been washed. I don't believe in washing bags nor rain gear bc they lose thenir usability if u do. My bag still keeps me warm to 20 degrees. I s tore it Hung up hanging in the closet. Of course it also depends on how much it gets used. I have 6 bags. If I had just this one it may be worn out by now

Not sure about Synthetic bags, but I still use my 19 year old bargain brand 20 degree down bag for most of my trips and it's still useful to almost it's rated temperature. If temps are going to be in the 30's (as you expect for your trip) then I have a jacket and usually long underwear with me anyway, if I'm cold in the bag I just throw one of these items on and go back to sleep.

Wow - todays new synthetics are far better and lighter, fabrics are stronger and thiner - I would say RETIRE it. I haven hung onto any bag more than ten years - old and heavy.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2011, 13:42
Carter - this will take up very little real estate in your pack and will be a good replacement - its a cheap as you can get and will hold you down for the next 17 years....great day when i can use the same info in two threads.... go figure..

Times a wasting its a CLOSOUT (http://www.rei.com/product/750062/rei-downtime-20-sleeping-bag-regular-08-special-buy)

Solemate- if that works for you that OK. I am surprised it isn't a got a little funk on it.... but they do loose loft over time.