PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions are important. Please give some feedback.

Pappa Green Jeans
02-25-2005, 13:06
:clap

I am starting on the trail on July 1st this summer. I want to know what you would do, where you would start, if you were to start on the trail on July 1st. Should I do a SOBO? I will make up my own mind but your opinions will help me decide. I have never been on the trail before and would appreciate your opinions very much. If you would, let me know what pack you use. Thank you much. God Bless.

weary
02-25-2005, 13:21
:clap

I am starting on the trail on July 1st this summer. I want to know what you would do, where you would start, if you were to start on the trail on July 1st. Should I do a SOBO? I will make up my own mind but your opinions will help me decide. I have never been on the trail before and would appreciate your opinions very much. If you would, let me know what pack you use. Thank you much. God Bless.
If you expect to do the whole trail you need to start south bound from Katahdin. Start your planning by opening the Appalachian Trail website. They have a packet of very useful materials. Do a google search Appalachian Trail for a link.

There is no one best pack. It depends on your body build and the weight of the gear you expect to carry among other things. As a start I would visit a good outdoor shop and look around and maybe try on a few.

Most all the major brands will work and have worked for thru hikers. You can save a few pounds by using a light weight pack, but that also requires that you carry light weight -- and usually expensive -- gear.

Good luck.

Weary

Lone Wolf
02-25-2005, 13:33
If it was me, I would go SOBO. I've done 4 NOBOs and 1 SOBO. Enjoyed the SOBO better.

The Weasel
02-25-2005, 13:57
Poppa:

There are several considerations for you: As for NOBO vs SOBO, starting in July means either (1) doing only part of the Trail this year, since NOBO from Springer thru to Katadin in July is a VERY tough trick to pull due to weather going downhll in New England in September and Octobe, (2) doing a "flip flop" by starting, say, at Harper's Ferry, hauling into Katahdin in Sept and then going back and doing SOBO from there to Springer (not necessarily a huge improvement...winter in the Appalachians gets white, fast), or (3) SOBO (again, fairly "white" when winter starts hitting in the south). SOBO is probably your best bet.

If you're not sure about your pack, you're not sure about a lot of gear, I suspect. "Training" between now and then can (a) be based on others' opinions, such as here, and (b) by trying gear out. REI (I'm pretty sure they're in Columbus) rents packs, hammocks, tents and more. Galyan's (for those who don't know Galyan's, think "REI on steroids, without kickbacks") probably does as well. Smaller outfitters often do so too. Ask for staff that backpacks, and that has done long trails, and you'll get good advice. Then try out an assortment. What each of US use in terms of packs and tents is, believe it or not, largely irrelevant to you: Gearheads (i.e. most of us) natter on about different brands and styles, but it's mostly a matter of (a) what we like best, (b) what is coolest, (c) what is cheapest, and (d) what we like best and what is coolest. You need to try out stuff so you know what you like best and what is coolest for you. '

The Weasel

rickb
02-25-2005, 14:25
It would be a great time to start a SOBO. Other kinds of itineraries could also be excellent (check out some at www.atconf.org), but there can be something attractively simple about starting in one spot and just walking.

One thing to keep in mind over then next couple weeks is that as a SOBO reservations in the park will make your much logistics easier. You can do a search on this site or on Baxter State Park Authority for details, but for such a very busy date as July 1st, you will need to make them on a specific day. I think that might fall around April 1 (not sure).

Seriously, have a plan to get your reservations with the same focus as another person might plan on getting on-line Rolling Stones tickets were they playing at a 2,000 seat hall. If for some reason you don't get the
reservations, a SOBO can work around that, but having them will cut down on the hassel. You would likely ask for Katahdin Stream Campground for 2 nights.

Have a great trip, however you go. But Southbound is a great choice ;-).

Rick B

Peaks
02-26-2005, 18:21
IF I had a July 1 start date, I'd go north from Harper's Ferry to Katahdin, and then go back and do the rest.

But, July 1 does make a good start date for a SOBO also.

Lumberjack
02-27-2005, 09:02
Mostly it depends on how much company you want ... for solitude go sobo...

DMA, 2000
02-27-2005, 14:40
What about a NOBO from Harper's (hey, it doesn't get much easier than starting in Maryland and PA) and then finishing NOBO from Springer to Harper's? That way, you get through the Smokies earlier than if you went SOBO from Harper's.

However, on the balance, I think starting at Katahdin would be the simpler option. Simpler, NB, NOT easier.

OverUnder
03-04-2005, 13:19
July 1 might be a little late to start from GA. You'll have 4 1/2 months to get to Katahdin before Baxter closes on Oct. 15, which means averaging over 16 mi/day. That may not sound unreasonable but with zero days it will really be pushing it. Plus there will be few thru-hikers around so you'll miss the social experience. I'd recommend going SOBO if you start then.

As for a pack, I used the Gregory Z-Pack and loved it. Strap broke once on the Trail but Gregory was great about replacing it. It has a good combination of light weight and pocket access, which was key for me since I like to know where everything is and find it quickly. Granite Gear is another good brand to look at. In the end, find a pack that fits you, feels comfortable and meets your needs. I agree that there's no "right" pack.

SavageLlama
03-04-2005, 23:00
If it was me, I would go SOBO. I've done 4 NOBOs and 1 SOBO. Enjoyed the SOBO better.
LW- why'd you prefer SOBO?