PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy La Sportiva trail runners

protargol
10-02-2011, 09:12
I bought a pair of Imogene's for the start of my SOBO hike after deciding to go the trail runner route. After some research, I figured about 500-600 miles per pair was to be expected. I however blew them out and wore them down a little after 300 miles. I wasn't happy about the performance, so called their customer service to see what they thought or would do. Unlike most manufacturers, they weren't interested in catering to thru hikers and told me that what I experienced was normal wear and tear. Now I agree that it was standard wear and tear damage, it happened much faster than their competitor's options and that is what I wasn't satisfied with. The rep said that she honestly was "surprised" and "amazed" that they lasted as long as they did. To me, that would be like a car company saying they were impressed that you drove their car all of 75,000 miles in this day and age. If you want good mileage per dollar on trail runners, I don't think La Sportiva is the option you want to go with. I was pretty bummed since I went with them because I love the quality of their rock climbing shoes and expected the same in a trail runner. That's my two cents.

nehiker
10-02-2011, 09:53
I bought a pair of Imogene's for the start of my SOBO hike after deciding to go the trail runner route. After some research, I figured about 500-600 miles per pair was to be expected. I however blew them out and wore them down a little after 300 miles.

Those 300 miles were on relatively rough surface, weren't they?

Chaco Taco
10-02-2011, 10:10
If you got 300 miles in Maine, NH and VT Id say thats about right. They call New England, the place where trailrunners go to die

protargol
10-02-2011, 10:32
I thought that was PA. Some of the finishing NOBOs also said they got 500 miles on theirs when I talked to them in ME.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2011, 11:03
Hmm - well you didn't expect it to last forever, 500-600 miles per pair?

Linesman
10-02-2011, 12:03
I like my Wildcat trail runners. My first pair lasted me from Peakskill to Gorham, and my second pair is still serving me today. The durability isn't great but I expect that.

moytoy
10-02-2011, 16:18
I bought a pair of Imogene's for the start of my SOBO hike after deciding to go the trail runner route. After some research, I figured about 500-600 miles per pair was to be expected. I however blew them out and wore them down a little after 300 miles. I wasn't happy about the performance, so called their customer service to see what they thought or would do. Unlike most manufacturers, they weren't interested in catering to thru hikers and told me that what I experienced was normal wear and tear. Now I agree that it was standard wear and tear damage, it happened much faster than their competitor's options and that is what I wasn't satisfied with. The rep said that she honestly was "surprised" and "amazed" that they lasted as long as they did. To me, that would be like a car company saying they were impressed that you drove their car all of 75,000 miles in this day and age. If you want good mileage per dollar on trail runners, I don't think La Sportiva is the option you want to go with. I was pretty bummed since I went with them because I love the quality of their rock climbing shoes and expected the same in a trail runner. That's my two cents.

That shoe has a very soft rubber sole. It's great for running on semi technical courses but not so great at long distance hiking.
If their PR department didn't explain that when you complained then thats bad PR but the final responsibilty for knowing what you are buying is on you.
With a little research we can be more informed about equipment than most people who sell the equipment.

Chaco Taco
10-02-2011, 17:05
I thought that was PA. Some of the finishing NOBOs also said they got 500 miles on theirs when I talked to them in ME.
The terrain in VT Nh ME isnt exactly smooth and nice grade either. Its not like in the south when you can put 700-800 miles on your shoes with the nice grade. I bought some Montrail Hardrocks in Manchester Center, VT and ended up having to order some Keens to Monson. Loved those shoes and gladly bought anoother pair. Terrain dictates alot when it comes to trail runners. I tried on the LaSportiva's you are speaking about and I just didnt feel like the tread was that great for the Whites and Maine. I feel like I would be feeling every single rocks on the bottom of my foot. Great shoe as a regular tread trail runner but not so much for long distance hiking.

Trailbender
10-02-2011, 17:33
I still hike in the Merrells I got in Harper's Ferry. I reattached the sole with paracord at the front, tore out the goretex lining, did some sewing on them, use paracord for the laces. I think I have about 1600 miles on them and they are still very usable. They are really worn and ugly looking, but the sole still has ok tread, and they are very comfy. You can extend the life of gear a lot if you are handy with sewing. Once I wear all the tread off, I'll cut new tread with a utility knife.

Shoes that only last 300-500 miles? I'd call em garbage, and never buy another pair. I'll use my gear until I can't fix it any more.

Don H
10-02-2011, 17:45
Got an average of 400 miles per pair from my Brooks Adrenaline trail runners. Less in the north.

jeramie75
10-02-2011, 22:28
The Imogene is a really light duty shoe. I'm a bid fan of the Raptors. Its a bit heavier and offers more stability, ie. last longer.

nitewalker
10-03-2011, 07:31
i 2nd the merrells. i have a pr of the chameleon3 gtx and absolutly love em.http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/KzUWVBnaOp1Enu-n0rJvYGbVTXxY24JmA_kTQXPZ5XfUmha-CZrtipGbJ-XNKE1hMIeT6FXkLg1GEtJMTTI6VSmNoaRnvjS8_vX7ZhrKkcOT gkd5NIuU-ziv-7t8ZNx4IHKvnblkOoHxhwnlJy-_aP01uYkLihm4FxAtLUvlAmbK2S2AkF--WM6nFbu_cTMevopN