PDA

View Full Version : How much layering?

Nutbrown
10-02-2011, 09:57
I'm going on a 5 day hike in Joyce Kilmer in 2 weeks. I'm planning on wearing a short sleeve capalene for hiking, but I'm not sure how many other layers I will need. I think I'm going to get a long sleeve wool base layer, and I have a good fleece half zip and a lightweight rain jacket. Shoule I spend the $$ on a primaloft or down midlayer? The miles per day won't be long, with a lot of time at camp for exploring the old growth. I've not done any winter hiking.

...and for full duisclosure....I'm a normal sized lady, born and bred in Florida. Heat is my friend. I really don't want to spend the $$, so my big question is will the wool/fleece/rain jacket be suitable for lows in the evening possibly in the 40's.

Chaco Taco
10-02-2011, 10:15
I'm going on a 5 day hike in Joyce Kilmer in 2 weeks. I'm planning on wearing a short sleeve capalene for hiking, but I'm not sure how many other layers I will need. I think I'm going to get a long sleeve wool base layer, and I have a good fleece half zip and a lightweight rain jacket. Shoule I spend the $$ on a primaloft or down midlayer? The miles per day won't be long, with a lot of time at camp for exploring the old growth. I've not done any winter hiking.

...and for full duisclosure....I'm a normal sized lady, born and bred in Florida. Heat is my friend. I really don't want to spend the $$, so my big question is will the wool/fleece/rain jacket be suitable for lows in the evening possibly in the 40's.

Id take some sort of fleece along with a base layer. The capilene will be good during the day. Dont need to spend money on the down. The outfitter in Carrboro has some good fleece. The wool base layer would be a great addition. Its going to probably be pretty chilly around that area. at higher elevations What is the temp rating on your bag?

Tipi Walter
10-02-2011, 11:16
Hey, maybe we'll run into each other as I am pulling a trip into the Slickrock in mid October too. There's also a Whiteblaze member here named Magnus from Durham NC who's done the Slickrock several times if you want to message him---

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?16931-Magnus

Abner
10-02-2011, 12:03
Seems like with the wool long tops and bottoms, you would be in good shape. I would throw in a wool cap definately. In the shoulder seasons the wool cap is non-negotiable for me.

Personally I always take two complete pairs of capilene or light wool tops and bottoms during the shoulder seasons. But I hike and camping all the time in the northeast. One set is for active wear that inevitably gets cold and clammy while hiking in a drissle and allows me a strategic clothing mistake: like stumbling in the stream while I'm filtering my water, or dumping a cup of tea in my lap! The second pair of long capilene tops and bottoms is for luxuriating in around camp...or in case it is drissly and wet, to change into after an active day in the forties. But somehow I just don't think you are going to be in forty degree weather for five days.

My two cents. Take a wool hat that is the best all around advice. And yes, get the pair wool or capilene long underwear, (personally for me capilene is more comfortable).

However, know the bomproof thing to do is have two complete pairs of long underwear this time of year (one to get damp, the other to stay dry for sleeping and puttering around camp) if the weather forecast is for forties and wet all day long. Hope this is helpful.

Nutbrown
10-02-2011, 20:38
Thanks guys. I'm not going to worry about my bag...it has to be ok, I'm not going to buy a new one :) but it is a synthetic, old Kelty. I might bring my down quilt also, just because I don't want to be cold. Either that or I was thinking about sewing up a sleeping bag liner.

Heading to the Carrboro store tomorrow...they may as well adopt me I spend so much time there!

Del Q
10-02-2011, 23:45
My layering, LOVE merino wool tee shirts, thin capilene, Go Lite wind shirt, rain jacket. When it is going to be cold I take an 8 oz Mont Bell synthetic. A nylon wind shirt can really help!

If its cold and I am in camp I am in my sleeping bag, simple guideline, its a lot easier to stay warm than to get warm, learned that one the hard way!

Prefer a balaclava, stays put, better to sleep in than a fleece cap.

My hands tend to get cold, new favorite gear are Mountain Laurel Designs eVent mittens, super in the cold rain, snow, will wear them over bare hands or over gloves, super lighweight, super warm and waterproof.

In the past I have taken too many clothes which makes my pack too full and too heavy.