PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pad question

OBXWaMi
10-02-2011, 10:42
Is there any reason not to sleep with the thermarest inside my sleeping bag?

The ones everyone praise for hiking are so narrow. All I keep thinking is that I will end up wiggling/rolling off of it if it's under my sleeping bag.

--Michelle

4eyedbuzzard
10-02-2011, 11:12
If the pad doesn't take up too much room inside the bag, it really shouldn't matter from an insulation standpoint. Big Agnes makes sleeping bags with no bottom insulation that rely on the pad, which fits in a sleeve and becomes part of the bag system, for the bottom insulation alone. Do be aware that many mummy bags are cut to fit pretty close for weight and thermal efficiency though, and having the pad inside will reduce the volume and could tighten up the fit to the point the insulation doesn't achieve full loft. If your bag is down and has continuous baffles you could also shake the down so that more of it is on the top and sides. You might have some sweat issues with the pad inside though, as most pad covers are completely non-porous - never tried this so can't say for sure. Give it a try once or twice and see how it works.

Tipi Walter
10-02-2011, 11:20
Nowadays I only use the 25 inch wide thermarests as I like to keep my elbows and knees on the pad. I would never put the pad inside the bag since it's too big for one (only use large pads) and second, the bag will be on the tent floor and not the pad so you may see more condensation on the bottom of your bag---not a good thing. And most of the time I sleep with my winter bag (rated -15F) unzipped like a blanket and so an inside pad would not work or be needed.

WingedMonkey
10-02-2011, 12:42
When I go into the fetal position, I like my bag to move with me.

tuswm
10-02-2011, 14:07
I can think of a few practical reasons......
*sleeping pads help to keep your sleeping bag clean especially when spending night after night in shelters where everyone walks around in muddy boots. and clean = loft = warm
*your body gives off moisture and a pad doesn't breath.
*you should not breath in to your sleeping bag,, do you always sleep on your back?
*loose internal value of your sleeping bag.
*sleeping bag protection against friction on shelter floor.
* how many times have you woken up in a pool of water that wasn't there when you went to sleep?

but i can also think of advantages of sleeping with the pad in the bag ....YMMV

RYE_TYLER
10-05-2011, 05:14
REI sells pad straps.. Loop from the side of your bag, under pad and attach to the other side of your bag. Bought some, still haven't tried them out yet.. Had major issues rolling/sliding on my Air Core. Good Luck, Rye

Mundele
10-05-2011, 07:01
I have a Big Agnes bag with the pad sleeve. I find it fine for warm weather, but when it's cold it isnt comfortable. Sleeping bags insulate by trapping the heat your body gives off. Having that pad attached to (or inside) the bag forces the bag to conform to it and not just your body causing big air gaps that your body must heat up. This is why folks talk about "draping" and why expensive down bags are so much better. They conform to your body, eliminating those air gaps and keeping you warmer.

Heck I've got a BA bag I'll sell you... :)

-Matt

scope
10-05-2011, 09:21
Other than rectangle bags, most bags aren't cut with enough room for both you and the pad. What can happen is that you feel its a little "tight" in the bag, and that means the loft is compromised. It can still work for you, but there are better solutions. When I was a tenter, I didn't find rolling off the pad to be that big a deal UNLESS I was on unlevel ground.

Spokes
10-05-2011, 14:46
A pad on the outside will definitely keep you bag cleaner. I'd be concerned that a pad inside a sleeping bag would likely cause premature wear and tear. Good bags are expensive so do all you can to protect your investment.

Moose2001
10-05-2011, 15:53
A pad on the outside will definitely keep you bag cleaner. I'd be concerned that a pad inside a sleeping bag would likely cause premature wear and tear. Good bags are expensive so do all you can to protect your investment.

This was my immediate reaction to the question as well.

Slo-go'en
10-05-2011, 16:02
Rolling off your pad generally isn't much of a problem. The exception is when your tenting on less then level ground, which should be avoided if at all possible. I've seen tents set up on a pitch so steep one has to wonder how they manage to stay in the tent, never mind on the pad!

Fireweed
10-13-2011, 06:24
Now I'm curious too. I have a two bag system for the shoulder season. One bag is a rect. the other mummy. I'll have to try a night with the pad inside the rect. with the mummy on top. Should be interesting.