PDA

View Full Version : REI store??

OBXWaMi
10-02-2011, 11:55
Yesterday I drove 3 hours to look at hiking gear. We went to Dicks Sporting Goods and Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shop. Thoses are the only 2 places that close to us. Needlses to say, I was less than impressed with the selection at either place. One was a mess with shelves near empty and I never saw a sales person--not that they would have known their arse from a hole in the ground. The other was like shopping in a museum. Dead animals EVERYWHERE! and the only sales person we encountered was socially akward and talked us to death about nothing. On the bright side, I got to see my son and granddaugher:). AND after telling my son of my desire to hike, he announced that he wants to go with me!

If I make the nearly 5 hour drive to REI will I find more knowledgable people and a larger selection??

I really don't want to waste another day off from work. I don't get weekend days off very often.

geomaniac
10-02-2011, 11:58
If I make the nearly 5 hour drive to REI will I find more knowledgable people and a larger selection??

I really don't want to waste another day off from work. I don't get weekend days off very often.[/QUOTE]

In a word..YES..at least that has been my experience with REI. Glad your trip was not a total loss!

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2011, 12:01
I had to read your post twice and yes you are correct - Dicks and Bass Pro Shops are catering to a different group of customers.... REI is dedicated to Backpackers. Before you go I suggest you spend some computer down time (after work) and work their REI's clearance site...

Get a clear picture of your "needs" list and after kicking a few tires at the store - ASK for help - everyone there on the floor is there because they enjoy hiking as much as you do...

Lyle
10-02-2011, 12:14
I would say do your research here, find out what folks are using. Most of us buy most of our gear, at least the big-ticket items from cottage gear manufacturers today. REI, though better than Bass or Dycks, does not carry what most long distance hikers use.

Can you get outfitted at REI? yep. Will it be the best gear choices? Probably not. Will it be serviceable? yep.

johnnybgood
10-02-2011, 12:15

I really don't want to waste another day off from work. I don't get weekend days off very often. Most definitely yes on larger selection and mostly yes on knowledgeable sales associates. It is difficult for me to fathom going anywhere else for my hiking/backpacking needs. Is the 5 hour drive is north to the REI in Richmond ?

If so ,most there are very knowledgeable and will help you in finding what you need. I've been there enough to know who to seek out , which ones to avoid.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2011, 12:42
Lyle - if a cottage manufacture can keep up with the volume to keep things in stock - they have been "included" - Hennessy Hammocks was on the shelves as an example... Sil Nylon tarps are available - just not Cuben Fiber.

mountain squid
10-02-2011, 13:31
If I make the nearly 5 hour drive to REI will I find more knowledgable people and a larger selection??probably . . . . possibly . . . . maybe . . . . .

Although it is nice to have something in your hands to look at and see how it fits, etc, I would do lots of research online first. By then you may decide you don't need to travel 5 hrs . . .

Aside from research here on WB, here are some popular manufacturer links to consider:

Tarptent (http://www.tarptent.com/)
Six Moon Designs (http://sixmoondesigns.com/)
Light Heart Tents (http://www.lightheartgear.com/)
Antigravity Gear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/) (alcohol stoves, primarily)
ULA Backpacks (http://www.ula-equipment.com/)
Granite Gear (http://www.granitegear.com/)
Osprey

(http://www.ospreypacks.com/)Additionally, you might consider going to Trail Days (http://www.traildays.us/) next yr. Many of the aforementioned manufacturers will have booths setup displaying their gear.

Enjoy the research process. Are you planning a long distance hike in the future?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2011, 13:35
Mountain Squid - good post!

southpaw95
10-02-2011, 13:50
for what it's worth

I do most of my shopping on line these days because I can't stand dealing with people that are just
trying to sell.

I know what I want and need, not some "sales associate".

Do your homework, buy on line and if you need to return it then use the PO. It's alot better than driving all over the place.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2011, 14:14
I disagree Southpaw95 - where on earth were you shopping? I may be old school but unless they are on commission they are nothing but enthusiast-clerks who are looking for a discount at that store and earn a paycheck. They have no vested interest in helping you. They are required to meet and greet or say "Hello" because this behavior defrays shoplifting! - their real job is to move stuff around and stock shelves.

On Line is fine, or just go to Dicks Sporting Goods or Sport Authority - nobody will approach you.

FYI folks Commission is a small thank you for helping you with the right decision to purchase at that store. Its a shame we use this word - In a restaurant it's call a TIP for doing a good job....

I am not aware of REI or EMS associates trying to sell, they are there to help. Relationship retail floor selling is near dead..so get over it.

Still disagree?- remember when Circuit City had twenty to thirty people on the floor in suits - and employed 75 people for all the shifts? THAT WAS A SALES ASSOCIATE. I was there for 8 years, and managed a Dick Sporting Goods for one year.

Trillium
10-02-2011, 14:14
I've been to several REI's with mixed results.

One of the REI's in Massachusetts had an outstanding associate who definitely knew what he was talking about in re backpacks and was a big help.

At one of the REI's here in Michigan, the associates are generally NOT knowledgable about long distance backpacking. Many have not done much, if any, backpacking. The one gent who had done some backpacking, didn't have a fricking clue that for long-distance backpacking you need to go as light weight as you can afford on gear. He recommended some gear that was not what I should have purchased.

That's why I concur with some of the suggestions above about doing some research here first or going to hiker events like TrailDays, the Gathering or Rucks. The Southern Ruck is coming up in January at the Nahtahala Outdoor Center.

jlo
10-02-2011, 15:04
Good posts already, and I just want to concer. Do research on REI.com before making the drive and get a clear idea of what you're looking for. Whiteblaze has great articles and you can search previous forums to get ideas about gear, etc.

The only things I think you need to go to the store for is 1. your shoes, and 2. your backpack. Everything else can be easily bought online and delivered to you.

4eyedbuzzard
10-02-2011, 15:34
5 hour drive each way?

That's probably what, 500 miles? At roughly .50 per mile operating costs once you factor in gas, wear and tear, etc. on your vehicle? That's $250, or most of the cost of a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag. That's without considering the cost of taking a day off work.

Just not worth it.

There isn't much you can't buy online, most everything ships for free, and even if you return some items, return shipping won't come close to what it will cost you to visit the stores. Add that the stores, even REI, will try to sell you overpriced stuff that is more for weekend hikers. You need to go as reasonably light as possible on a thru, which isn't always what the gear in hiking stores is. Hang around here, ask away, and narrow your choices before ordering some stuff. Then maybe make one trip combined with some other reason to be driving to Richmond (or where ever your nearest REI is).

southpaw95
10-02-2011, 16:02
[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;1205634]I disagree Southpaw95 - where on earth were you shopping? I may be old school but unless they are on commission they are nothing but enthusiast-clerks who are looking for a discount at that store and earn a paycheck. They have no vested interest in helping you. They are required to meet and greet or say "Hello" because this behavior defrays shoplifting! - their real job is to move stuff around and stock shelves.

On Line is fine, or just go to Dicks Sporting Goods or Sport Authority - nobody will approach you.

FYI folks Commission is a small thank you for helping you with the right decision to purchase at that store. Its a shame we use this word - In a restaurant it's call a TIP for doing a good job....

I am not aware of REI or EMS associates trying to sell, they are there to help. Relationship retail floor selling is near dead..so get over it.

Still disagree?- remember when Circuit City had twenty to thirty people on the floor in suits - and employed 75 people for all the shifts? THAT WAS A SALES ASSOCIATE. I was there for 8 years, and managed a Dick Sporting Goods for one year.
[/QUOTE

Chill...
Maybe I should have said I don't like dealing with people PERIOD.

Harrison Bergeron
10-02-2011, 16:12
REI is great. Maybe not worth a five hour drive, but you'll definitely have a more positive experience if you do. I buy most of my gear on-line (often from REI or Campmor), but there's some things you just have to try out in person. They did a good job of fitting me to my pack and unless you're an extreme UL weenie, you won't find a better pack than what they sell (my big pack is an Osprey Atmos 65 purchased from REI and my daypack for weekend outings is an REI Traverse 30). They also carry a good line of hiking boots and shoes and have the staff to fit you properly. Most stores even have a little hill you can climb to feel if your toes are touching on the downside. Some stores even have a scale. They're definately oriented towards backpackers.

But can I just say I'm really jealous that you're able to make a living 5 hours from a city large enough to support an REI! I'd trade places in a minute!

Meriadoc
10-02-2011, 16:13
I would recommend searching for an independent backpacking/climbing store near you. Some of the absolute best help that I have received was at small independent outfitters who were in business because they love backpacking and whose clerks were backpackers with a lot of knowledge. The selection tends to be smaller and perhaps a bit pricier but the service is good.

My very first pack, boots, and sleeping bag were all bought in a single trip to Harry's Army & Navy. As soon as I mentioned that I was completely green but trying to get into backpacking the clerk's eyes lit up and he couldn't help me enough. Along the way I heard tales of his own expeditions and we had a grand old time. That first set of equipment lasted for a while; I still have and use that bombproof backpack whenever weight is not a concern.

The big stores do have rock solid guarantees so if you purchase something by mail, you can always return it if it doesn't fit or doesn't work out for any reason. EMS and REI both have very good guarantees and I have seen fantastic guarantees from other outfitters as well. (Side note: if you start purchasing from REI, make sure to become a member.)

I'll echo the others above that I did most of my shopping at the big stores (and that small outfitter) when I started out but when I began the move to long distance hiking and hammocking, the cottage industry has proven to be a source of better gear. It took some knowledge to get there, so if you go that route ask lots of questions here!

Good Luck

Chaco Taco
10-02-2011, 17:28
5 hours from OBX? You have Raleigh 3.5 hours away. Unless you are talking round trip. There are 3 REI's in the Raleigh Durham area.

As stated above. I would do most of your research here. Go to the review section and check out the list of stuff there. You can get some quality used gear on this site as well. If you dont like it when you try it, flip it and re-sell. I did most of my initial research here and got some great advice from people I met on and through the trail.
My experience with REI is that alot, not all of them, dont really do much of the activities they cater to. EMS is full of hikers and climbers, atleast the ones up here are. Do you research here and on some of the other sites and then look at the awesome site Squid listed, great sites and I have ordered stuff from each of them and can say that they are stand up places. Good luck

RWheeler
10-02-2011, 18:31
REI associates are also very helpful and friendly over the phone. You can see if you can speak to someone this way about your needs and what you're looking for, at least get an idea of how much a person may be able to help you. Something to at least consider before making the 5hr drive there.

paistes5
10-02-2011, 18:37
I'm a big fan of REI. I love the return policy, so if you make a bad gear choice you can return it.

I use the one in Nashville and I believe one of the people working there is a thru hiker.

Rocketman
10-02-2011, 19:26
I might suggest that you request some catalogs from places like campmor (www.campmor.com) and Mountain Gear (www.mountaingear.com) and look through them just to see what is out there and what stuff looks like and what it weighs and costs.

Other people may suggest still other places for catalogs and web pages as more educational sources.

Old Boots
10-02-2011, 19:31
I am an avid REI customer. I never fail to find helpful and competent service. If the particular clerk isn't able to answer your question they always point you to someone who is. REI has yet to disappoint me.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2011, 21:13
Good posts already, and I just want to concer. Do research on REI.com before making the drive and get a clear idea of what you're looking for. Whiteblaze has great articles and you can search previous forums to get ideas about gear, etc.

The only things I think you need to go to the store for is 1. your shoes, and 2. your backpack. Everything else can be easily bought online and delivered to you.

And 3. if you are close to 6 feet or big and tall you need to try on the sleeping bag on the floor! Some bags can be tight where you least exspect - the top of your head.

[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;1205634]I disagree Southpaw95 -

[/QUOTE

Chill...
Maybe I should have said I don't like dealing with people PERIOD.

The EMS - REI question repeats a new thread every 6-10 months. It pulls in at least one new member to say something something negative like you did... its important not to be a SNL"Debbie Downer" type - although when I was new I am sure I did post a few myself.

I might suggest that you request some catalogs from places like campmor (www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com)) and Mountain Gear (www.mountaingear.com (http://www.mountaingear.com)) and look through them just to see what is out there and what stuff looks like and what it weighs and costs.

Other people may suggest still other places for catalogs and web pages as more educational sources.

Another good post.

DavidNH
10-02-2011, 21:47
why don't you just shop online? anything you need for outdoors can be found through REI, LL Bean, or Eastern Mountain SPorts (ems.com).

Mountain Mike
10-02-2011, 22:45
REI & EMS staff are as helpfull as they can be. Most that work there find it as a way of making a living at something they love. These stores tend to lean more towards camping & backpacking while Gander Mountain & Cabelas are geared more to hunters. Where you live & what store you go to can play a big part in staff knowledge. Thru-hikers come frome all over but if there isn't one in your local store advise you get may not be what you need.

When I planned my first thru hike it was before internet & I did my research through magazines & broshures. It was a 4 hour trip to EMS store & a lot of gear I had them special order for me. Whith the internet now research is a whole lot easier. If you need insight or advise...post a question in this forum. The thousands of miles of combined knowledge should give you options to point you in the right direction of your hiking style. I may not agree with all responses but you will get views from many different hiking stylys as opposed to maybe one or two knowledgeable people at REI.

OBXWaMi
10-02-2011, 22:51
Thanks for all the great advice and info. I've been reading tons on here and there are so many opinions about what is best, it can all be so confusing. My reason for wanting to go to the stores is to actually put my hands on the items I've read about here on WB so I could decide what to buy online. I fully intend to do most of my shopping online! If I have a reason to be near a REI store anytime soon I will stop in, but I won't make a special trip--just now.

Thanks for the link to Trail Days. Sounds like a trip I need to plan!

--Michelle

Chaco Taco
10-02-2011, 23:08
Read some of the stuff from jack and mags. Good info

Rasty
10-03-2011, 17:11
I really like REI but I have realized that to get to the total pack weight I want I will have to purchase at other places. It would be cool if REI would start selling different equipment. The last four times in the store the only items that interested me were shoes.

Hosaphone
10-03-2011, 21:03
I used to work at LL Bean and I referred people to WB all the time. I also made sure they didn't buy those awful backpacks...

4eyedbuzzard
10-03-2011, 21:50
I used to work at LL Bean and I referred people to WB all the time. I also made sure they didn't buy those awful backpacks...Probably not a comment you want to put in your resume.

Hosaphone
10-03-2011, 22:33
Probably not a comment you want to put in your resume.

In all fairness, it's tough to beat Bean for value when it comes to down jackets and down sleeping bags (especially if you catch them on sale). They really do make a lot of good stuff. But man, those 6 pound, 2000 cu. in. backpacks...

Tennessee Viking
10-04-2011, 08:49
If you are still in the OuterBanks area, you just have to come up to Raleigh. There are a number of reliable outfitters here. I know of 3 REIs in or around Raleigh. REI is always good choice because of their lifetime guarantee. If you hate or break your item for any reason, they will take it back no matter what. REI will make you try out/on the gear and make sure you like before you leave.

Then there is also Great Outdoor Provisions near the NCSU campus in Raleigh. There should also be stores in Greenville and Wilmington.

The Greensboro area has Gander Mtn. Granted they are more into fishing/hunting gear. They still have a small selection of some decent hiking gear.

I don't even think of Dicks being an outfitter. They mainly target weekend campers. Not hikers. I once called around to 5 Dicks, and none of them didn't even carry trekking poles.

BPS are just tourist attractions. You can find some good brands there, but its all marked up.

Spokes
10-04-2011, 09:34
The only thing I don't like about REI is every salesperson you run into invariably asks:
"Are you a co-op member?"

So I started asking them the same thing before the words can escape their mouth. Try it next time you're in there.

BTW, I am a co-op member.

Hooch
10-04-2011, 09:41
The only thing I don't like about REI is every salesperson you run into invariably asks:

So I started asking them the same thing before the words can escape their mouth. Try it next time your in there.

BTW, I am a co-op member.My favoite part of an REI trip as well, though I never thought to try your idea, spokes. :-? I'll ive it a whirl next time I'm at the Pineville store. :D

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2011, 09:53
Drove me nuts "are you a Co-Op Member - :"Yes I am - but It's Broke, Where's your clearance?"

As a member the clearance clothing doesn't do anything for your points. Last Year they sent me $5

Strategic
10-04-2011, 10:05
Spokes and Hooch,

Why is it a problem that they ask you if you're a co-op member? Unless you've already handed them your member card, they need to ask that so that they can credit you for your purchases; a rather important thing when dividend time comes around every year. If they don't ask, they don't know and you don't get one of the major benefits that comes with being a member.

One the subject of REI in general, I'm a member and quite fond of them for the more prosaic stuff (clothing, small gear items, etc.) but I still use cottage manufacturers and MYOG for my major pieces of gear. My pack is ULA, my hammock a Hennessy that REI doesn't carry (the Hyperlight), my fly and quilts are MYOG from some pretty esoteric materials that even the cottage manufacturers don't use (or that aren't even available anymore, like heat-reflective silnylon.) I tend to look for the best solution to each gear problem and go from there.

That's not to say that you can't get good and serviceable gear at REI for major items: you can. The staff are generally there because they are outdoors folks anyway (though often not long-distance hikers) and tend to take their jobs pretty seriously. They may not give you exactly the answers you need, but they will be helpful and can certainly clarify things for you, even if you don't take their advice in the end.

Hooch
10-04-2011, 10:14
Spokes and Hooch,

Why is it a problem that they ask you if you're a co-op member?It's not a problem at all. Please refer to your sense of humor for further assistance. :rolleyes:

Spokes
10-04-2011, 10:16
Spokes and Hooch,

Why is it a problem that they ask you if you're a co-op member? Unless you've already handed them your member card, they need to ask that so that they can credit you for your purchases; a rather important thing when dividend time comes around every year. If they don't ask, they don't know and you don't get one of the major benefits that comes with being a member....

Strategic, I'm not talking about at the register (believe me I'll get my dividend credit counted) , I'm talking every time you interact with a floor salesperson. Makes me wanna yell "enough already!"

KimberVa
10-04-2011, 10:36
If you went to the dicks and Bass Pro in Hampton Virginia there is a Blue Ridge Mountain Sports literally across the street. You should check them out. THey have a website and have found their staff to be fairly intelligent. I am only guessing at where you went but if you are from the outer banks then that would have been about a hour and a half each way. Hit me up with a PM and I can give you their address and number.

Strategic
10-04-2011, 11:26
Strategic, I'm not talking about at the register (believe me I'll get my dividend credit counted) , I'm talking every time you interact with a floor salesperson. Makes me wanna yell "enough already!"

Weird, I've literally never had them do that at the store here in Philly. That's why I couldn't understand why it would be an annoyance, since they've only ever asked me that at the register. I guess some stores like to proselytize a bit more than others.

mountain squid
10-04-2011, 17:28
Thanks for the link to Trail Days. Sounds like a trip I need to plan!

--MichelleAbsolutely. See you there.

Another consideration, if you are planning a long distance hike on the AT, would be to go to Mountain Crossings (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/) in North GA. It is probably further than 5 hours away though. The wealth of knowledge that you will obtain, however, could make it worth the trip. If possible I would suggest going during Mar/Apr when there are sure to be hikers there. Not only will you be able to interact with a very knowledgeable staff, but will also see other hikers and their gear choices, as well as the stuff they are planning to send home.

If time permitted, you could also scout out Amicalola Falls SP and then Forest Service Road 42 which gets you to within .9 mi of the start on Springer Mountain.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

OBXWaMi
10-04-2011, 22:20
KimberVA, yes I did go to the BPS in Hampton, and the Dick's in Va Bch. I wasn't aware of the Blue Ridge Mountain Sports store. Thanks for telling me about it. I'll have to stop in there the next time we head that direction. I have family that lives about 20 minutes from there.

Hosaphone, what do you mean about the LLBean packs? 6 lbs and 2000 cu in. ?? Is the weight too much or the cu in. too large, or both? I just ordered the White Mountain Women's pack from LLBean. It is 5 lb 10 oz and 3000 to 3650 cu in. My thought was that it was a good weight since I could probably put everything I carry, other than maybe the sleeping pad inside it as opposed to strapping anything to the outside.

What's it mean and what's the benefit of being a co-op member?

--Michelle

Hosaphone
10-04-2011, 23:05
Hosaphone, what do you mean about the LLBean packs? 6 lbs and 2000 cu in. ?? Is the weight too much or the cu in. too large, or both? I just ordered the White Mountain Women's pack from LLBean. It is 5 lb 10 oz and 3000 to 3650 cu in. My thought was that it was a good weight since I could probably put everything I carry, other than maybe the sleeping pad inside it as opposed to strapping anything to the outside.

3650 cubic inches is probably about right for 3-season hiking. It depends on the person and what gear you're taking though of course, and how many days of food you need to bring.

The problem is mainly the weight. ~5.5 pounds is pretty dang heavy. Compare it to the popular ULA Circuit, which holds 4200 cubic inches and weighs in at less than half as much at 2.25 pounds. Of course light weight isn't everything, and you have to consider how well a pack carries the stuff you put into it. You can get a frameless pack with huge capacity that weighs less than 1 pound, but it might be miserable to carry if you put more than 25 pounds of stuff in it. For general backpacking purposes, though, you really will never be carrying a load heavy enough to justify such a heavy pack.

If you can save ~3 pounds and get a backpack that carries your load at least as well, for about the same price, why not? 3 pounds is an ENORMOUS amount of weight to save.

The real problem with a lot of Bean gear, imo, is that they prioritize durability over lightness. Since many people will return an item when it breaks, LL Bean would lose tons of money if they made packs out of lighter weight but less durable material. There's usually a tradeoff when it comes to weight vs durability. Personally, I don't mind replacing a couple things more often in exchange for shaving a few pounds off my pack weight - consider that you'll be taking millions of steps while carrying that stuff. 1 pound saved, times 1 million steps, is a lot of prevented wear on your knees and energy conserved.

My advice is to, when the Bean backpack gets there, see if it fits all your stuff. See if the amount of space is about right or if you need more or less. Try it on and walk around a bit with it. Take note of what you like and dislike about it. Then, take advantage of Bean's excellent return policy and send it back. Do a ton of research on WB and find out what packs people are generally carrying and why. Go to an REI store and try on a bunch of different packs that are recommended by WB users.

Driver8
10-05-2011, 17:32

If you go regularly, they get to know you and don't ask. ...

Feral Bill
10-06-2011, 00:46
In all fairness, it's tough to beat Bean for value when it comes to down jackets and down sleeping bags (especially if you catch them on sale). They really do make a lot of good stuff. But man, those 6 pound, 2000 cu. in. backpacks... I took a peek at LL Bean's web site. They have perfectly reasonable lightweight packs (example (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68621?feat=1098-GN2)) at a good price. Good return policy too. In addition, they are the ONLY place with a full range of clothing in tall sizes.

Hosaphone
10-06-2011, 00:53
I took a peek at LL Bean's web site. They have perfectly reasonable lightweight packs (example (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68621?feat=1098-GN2)) at a good price. Good return policy too. In addition, they are the ONLY place with a full range of clothing in tall sizes.

That pack does look quite reasonable. Too bad we didn't carry those at the store I worked at :( I always used to tell people, you can't ever go too far wrong with LL Bean because if at any point you're dissatisfied you can just bring it back. They are a great company.

IrishBASTARD
10-06-2011, 05:41
I will NEVER shop at REI ever again...even for a simple energy bar. Went into our local Pittsburgh store to buy all my gear for March. The salesman stood telling trail stories...so I listened in and asked questions as well. Though the other customer bought all of his gear from ""cottage industry" which I respect I am too ignorant of buying as such. He and I got into an arguement over sleeping pads the customer telling me "Anyone who uses a pad or anything else to sleep on is a pansy and queer". I explained to him he wont have many friends in life let alone on the trail condemning people if their preferences in anything...let alone a "pad or anything else" The employee just stood there doing nothing as if watching a tv show. When he gave me the pack to try on...he didnt strap me in properly so my back hurts this morning. He was talking to said customer again only now literally ten feet behind my back..."man you see that guy I bet hes a pansy bitching about me like that" The employee instead of talking him into understanding "pads or anything else" agreed and said "Dont talk too loud dude he might hear you" Needless to say REI lost over two grand in revenue from me. After the customer left empty handed ironiclly I asked about being vegan on the trail. He explained to me hes the "I am the type of guy who stands behind you going MOO MOO give me flesh give me protein" I am a vegan by choice and no I dont go around condemning anyone as this ******* did to me about diet. I asked what made him hike the trail "dude thats between the trail and I. Knowing your concerns about being beaten you wouldnt want to know about it anyway it would scare you away". Needless to say we all have our own issues for hiking the trail...my problem was two ******** one costing his company any and all future buys from my family and I.

richmondhokie
10-06-2011, 08:23
I am section hiking VA and I use the REI in Richmond as it is only a few minutes from my office. I have found several of the sales people there have thru-hiked - and a few have done all of VA, so from a knowledge standpoint, the Richmond sales associates are friendly and informative.

As for being a "member" - yes - every one of them ask, but as Driver8 said - shop there often and they get to know you. Being a member - you get a dividend check each year based on purchases - and other buying opportunities that non-members don't get. Also - they have equipment to rent - so if you want to test drive a pack or a tent for a weekend hike - the price is half of a non-member.

Chif
10-06-2011, 08:45
I would recommend that you visit the Great Outdoor Provision Company store in Greenville, NC to start. Knowledgeable and helpful clerks and a good selection. The internet sources and REI may have better prices but there is no substitute for hands on investigation for things like packs, boots and sleeping bags. If you don't see what you like there, there are at least two REIs and a larger GOPC in Raleigh.

Chif

Feral Bill
10-06-2011, 12:15
I will NEVER shop at REI ever again...even for a simple energy bar. Went into our local Pittsburgh store to buy all my gear for March. The salesman stood telling trail stories...so I listened in and asked questions as well. Though the other customer bought all of his gear from ""cottage industry" which I respect I am too ignorant of buying as such. He and I got into an arguement over sleeping pads the customer telling me "Anyone who uses a pad or anything else to sleep on is a pansy and queer". I explained to him he wont have many friends in life let alone on the trail condemning people if their preferences in anything...let alone a "pad or anything else" The employee just stood there doing nothing as if watching a tv show. When he gave me the pack to try on...he didnt strap me in properly so my back hurts this morning. He was talking to said customer again only now literally ten feet behind my back..."man you see that guy I bet hes a pansy bitching about me like that" The employee instead of talking him into understanding "pads or anything else" agreed and said "Dont talk too loud dude he might hear you" Needless to say REI lost over two grand in revenue from me. After the customer left empty handed ironiclly I asked about being vegan on the trail. He explained to me hes the "I am the type of guy who stands behind you going MOO MOO give me flesh give me protein" I am a vegan by choice and no I dont go around condemning anyone as this ******* did to me about diet. I asked what made him hike the trail "dude thats between the trail and I. Knowing your concerns about being beaten you wouldnt want to know about it anyway it would scare you away". Needless to say we all have our own issues for hiking the trail...my problem was two ******** one costing his company any and all future buys from my family and I.

One bad clerk and you'll never do business with REI again? They have 10,000 employees! Seems like an overreaction to me.

4eyedbuzzard
10-06-2011, 13:04
I wouldn't not buy from REI simply because of a salesperson that didn't handle a situation properly. Yes, he should have politley dismissed the other customer if he wasn't actively shopping/ buying gear and focused on you, or found another salesperson to handle the other customer - while he made the sale to you. Just poor training and/or job skills, but REI is still a good place to buy gear.

Blissful
10-06-2011, 14:19
Yesterday I drove 3 hours to look at hiking gear. We went to Dicks Sporting Goods and Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shop. Thoses are the only 2 places that close to us. Needlses to say, I was less than impressed with the selection at either place. One was a mess with shelves near empty and I never saw a sales person--not that they would have known their arse from a hole in the ground. The other was like shopping in a museum. Dead animals EVERYWHERE! and the only sales person we encountered was socially akward and talked us to death about nothing. On the bright side, I got to see my son and granddaugher:). AND after telling my son of my desire to hike, he announced that he wants to go with me!

I really don't want to waste another day off from work. I don't get weekend days off very often.

I'll have to look online but there isn't a quality outdoor shop in the Norfolk area? Or is that where Bass was?

Hey, are you ever up for doing the Mtns to the Sea Trail? Hint hint :) I LOVE OBX

Driver8
10-07-2011, 08:11
One bad clerk and you'll never do business with REI again? They have 10,000 employees! Seems like an overreaction to me.

I wouldn't not buy from REI simply because of a salesperson that didn't handle a situation properly. Yes, he should have politley dismissed the other customer if he wasn't actively shopping/ buying gear and focused on you, or found another salesperson to handle the other customer - while he made the sale to you. Just poor training and/or job skills, but REI is still a good place to buy gear.

Agreed with you both. One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, etc. ...

I'll have to look online but there isn't a quality outdoor shop in the Norfolk area? Or is that where Bass was?

Hey, are you ever up for doing the Mtns to the Sea Trail? Hint hint :) I LOVE OBX

So cute. :)

OBXWaMi
10-07-2011, 10:05
LLBean backpack arrived yesterday. Going back today. HEAVY and I think it is a bit small. The only way I can describe it is if were a regular shirt the armhole would be too small. I spend over an hour trying to adjust the straps to make it comfortable, but I couldn't. Even still, it's awfully heavy.

Live and Learn, thankfully LLBean has a great return policy.

--Michelle

Hosaphone
10-07-2011, 14:45
LLBean backpack arrived yesterday. Going back today. HEAVY and I think it is a bit small. The only way I can describe it is if were a regular shirt the armhole would be too small. I spend over an hour trying to adjust the straps to make it comfortable, but I couldn't. Even still, it's awfully heavy.

Live and Learn, thankfully LLBean has a great return policy.

--Michelle

That pack has a velcro thing that allows you to adjust torso length - did you try playing around with that at all?

OBXWaMi
10-07-2011, 21:52
I spent several hours fiddling with the adjustments. Yes, the velcro torso thingy too. It said it was rated for 16 to 18 inch torso, and I adjusted it and tried all the torso settings just to see how they felt. I don't think the problem was the torso length though. (I measure 17.5 inches) It just felt like the straps didn't have an arm hole opening that was big enough. Kind of like having on one of those figure-8 straps when you break a collar bone. I thought the bottom of the strap should have been attached further down the body of the pack instead of up so high under my arm pit.

Fiddleback
10-08-2011, 10:55
I like REI...I really do and have been a member since 1984. But, not much of my backpacking shopping is done there mainly because of the prices but somewhat because I don't find much to meet my version of ultralight. These days my purchases are kinda limited to boots, bear spray and 'specials.' Still, REI now is for me what the Christmas toy departments were when I was a kid. It's a kick to walk through...

FB

Cloudynesz
10-17-2011, 13:13
I would just go to outdoor forum and online store.

Rain Man
10-17-2011, 19:31
But, not much of my backpacking shopping is done there ... somewhat because I don't find much to meet my version of ultralight. ... Still, REI now is for me what the Christmas toy departments were when I was a kid. It's a kick to walk through...

Absolutely! It is a candy store for "outdoors" folks. And they are super helpful. Yesterday I took a total novice friend, who had bought a backpack somewhere "on special" a few years ago before she and her hubby moved to Nashville. She had never used it. They fitted her, adjusted the pack, loaded it up with weight, and let her walk around while we shopped. She got a lot of confidence in the pack as a result, and though REI had not made the pack sale, they did make other sales to both her and me yesterday. Great place. They understand the long-term investment treating the customer right and generating goodwill and sales as a result. So unlike so many big American corporations. REI is among the ones that really stand out, IMHO.

Rain:sunMan